collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Famous Villa-related quotes  (Read 39078 times)

Offline Zhong Yi

• Let's All Have A Disco....la la la la
Re: Famous Villa-related quotes
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 11:28:50 PM »
something i remember reading in either a villa programme or the evening mail in 1984 was a quote from Graham Turner in about march of the 84/85 season urging the squad to "think europe" as a motivation for finishing strongly. This after having been european champions less than 3 seasons prior and a team in decline due to Doug Ellis and him.

"think europe"

that manager was a twat.

Offline nigel

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 08:39:25 AM »
something i remember reading in either a villa programme or the evening mail in 1984 was a quote from Graham Turner in about march of the 84/85 season urging the squad to "think europe" as a motivation for finishing strongly. This after having been european champions less than 3 seasons prior and a team in decline due to Doug Ellis and him.

"think europe"

that manager was a twat.
Good old Doug, eh?
You can imagine him thinking " Hmmm, let's get rid of Tony Barton, he's only won us the European Cup and the European Super Cup. I'll bring in that unproven chap from Shrewsbury in the 4th Division"  :o
Wasn't only the manager who was a twat!!

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 08:50:53 AM »
A selection from the Tom Hanks/Jonathan Ross show...

Ross asked him, “Who is the manager of Aston Villa? What is the name of their ground? How many players have they got?”

To which the American star could only reply: “I have no idea... Sparky O’Rourke?

“Their home ground is the Villa Dome... and the Aston Villa team is made up of 723 c*** footballers.”

And when asked why he chose to support them, Hanks explained: “It’s so goofy and everybody asks me.

“The first time I came to London I was watching the scores go by one day before I had to go off and do something.

“And I think Blacksworth Upon Twixby beat Aston Villa by 4-0 and I thought Aston Villa, that sounds like a lovely little place. I think I’d like to go there.

“I’ve since met folks from the team. I’ve met the lady who runs it and been invited and I will go as soon as I can figure out where Aston Villa is.

“It’s in Birmingham? Well thank you very much. I think it’s grand. I just go by name.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 09:32:59 AM »
Never again will one man own Aston Villa or words to that effect.

Doug Ellis circa 1968

Offline Simba

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 09:52:20 AM »
John Barnes, this week after the Man u game:

"You can play that kind of football at Birmingham, but not at a Club like Aston Villa"

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 10:06:28 AM »
I used to have a little pocket book of Villa quotes that someone bought me as a stocking filler one year.  I'll have to dig it out and post a few.

One that springs to mind, and I'm paraphrasing here, is:-

"Birmingham is a great place to live and play your football"
- David Ginola (just after we signed him)

"Will this city ever run out of grey paint?"
- David Ginola (just before we sold him)

Offline Fuse

• GM : 28.08.2015
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 12:47:37 PM »
"If there is a club in the country which deserves to be dubbed the greatest (and the matter is one of some delicacy) few will deny the right of Aston Villa to share the highest niche of fame with even the most historic of other aspirants. For brilliancy and, at the same time, for consistency of achievement, for activity in philanthropic enterprise, for astuteness of management and for general alertness, the superiors of Aston Villa cannot be found."

William McGregor

Just goes to prove nothing is permanent in football.

I dare say when he made that comment nobody argued it with him. You can imagine Fergie making a similar comment about Utd now or Paisley making one about Liverpool in the mid-80s. Who would have thought Liverpool would go over 20 years without winning the title again in 1990?

It is this that gives you hope that we may one day be deserving of a comment like this again.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 02:24:55 PM »
I would like to finish as high in the table as we can, and I do honestly believe that that's possible.
David O'Leary

I am sure one day a Villa team can beat United, and I've got to believe it can be us."
Alex McLeish

I'd like to play for an Italian club like Barcelona.
Mark Draper

Allegations are all very well but I would like to know who these alligators are.
Ron Saunders

Offline ClarrieBlue

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 03:01:03 PM »
Not long after Bill Shankly had retired, Villa went to Anfield and after 70 mins or so were drawing 0-0. We eventually lost 3-0. Ron Saunders said he would have been happy for the game to have ended after 70 mins.  Bill Shankly being interviewed on MOTD said that it did.

Offline Reuben

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 03:11:09 PM »
Probably not that famous but during the ITV coverage of Villa v Everton November 1989, we were possibly winning 5 or 6-0 at this particular point (can't remember exactly) when the pitch side reporter asked Graham Taylor 'How do you see the game going now Graham?"

The answer: "Well I don't think we'll lose."

Offline Damo70

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 04:27:06 PM »
"This place is a shambles" - Graham Taylor shortly after taking over in 1987.

Gary Newbon interviewing Ron Saunders a few hours after we won the league. "Are you going to smile now Ron"? "Football's not all about laughing Gary. It's a serious business. It's a job." And I don't think he did smile until the civic reception the following day!

May 1991. Blues win the Leyland Daf cup and a few weeks later BFR is doing a BRMB phone-in a few hours after being confirmed manager. Caller asks "Are you gonna win us a trophy like the blues Ron"? BFR replies "I hope I don't win you the Leyland Daf trophy"!

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 09:05:14 PM »
"Aston Villa are an inferior team to us and we'll clearly show that this weekend"
- Walter Pandiani October 2005.

.....Small Heath 0 Villa 1  (Pandiani substituted at half time).

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 05:53:36 AM »
You heard that booing at the end? I started it - BFR after a home defeat to Oldham 1994

At least we were consistent - useless in defence, useless in midfield and crap up front - BFR again, Boxing Day 1992 after a tanking at Coventry where he gave unused sub Nigel Spink the man of the march

Offline Damo70

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 02:23:54 PM »
Another one from BFR when before the game with Coventry he was asked what reception he would get on the way to the away dug-out on his return to Villa Park. "Your not allowed to use the term Doug out at Villa Park".

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2011, 12:57:46 PM »
"I was thinking of buying Collymore, now it's cauliflowers."  BFR after he was sacked.
Always good for a quip was our Ron.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal