collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Striker Has Fewest Premier League Touches  (Read 28407 times)

Offline Greg N'Ash

Re: Villa Striker Has Fewest Premier League Touches
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »
To be deemed a "hoof" does it have to bounce strangely off a villa players head when being booted up field? Or is the action of mindlessly booting the ball up field as hard as you can constitute for a hoof ball?

If so I'm sure we're more than up there with Stoke and Blackburn.

Hoofball is the art of intentionally losing the ball in the oppositions half in the hope that percentage wise the opposition will mess up once in a while and give you a chance
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:23:07 PM by Greg N'Ash »

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 01:20:29 PM »
Either everything he comes out with his bullshit or he cannot control the players to follow his orders. Either way, it does not auger well for his reign.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2011, 01:24:29 PM »
A B-lose supporting mate of mine -one of the few non Villa hating less rabid ones-  warned me that this is what we would face in the summer.

"No,"   I confidently predicted.  "If nothing else, he'll have to try and have a go. Otherwise there is no chance of the supporters taking to him."

I had exactly the same conversation wih the only Bluenose I keep in touch with.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2011, 01:32:09 PM »
My issue is lots of teams don't have our quality of players and are creating more chances week in week out. How did the Blackburn players get the ball to Yakubu at the weekend in order him to score 4 times against a side we barely got a shot away?

We need to stop talking about Young and Downing. They are gone. We need to stop talking about Barry and Milner. They are gone. There is enough technical ability remaining in this squad to be doing much better than it is, and we have two of the best forwards in the PL on top of that. Stop booting the ball 50 yards up the pitch and give the ball to the feet of our skill players. We'll be shocked at what might happen as a result.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2011, 01:44:32 PM »
Plenty of managers are dealing with far less quality and are still managing to play some decent football and get results.

That's it in a nutshell for me.

Offline Iago

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 01:45:57 PM »
Plenty of managers are dealing with far less quality and are still managing to play some decent football and get results.

That's it in a nutshell for me.
Me too.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 01:52:30 PM »

clicky

Aston Villa must make better use of Darren Bent, says Alex McLeish
"

Don't say it you muppet do it. It's your job.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2011, 02:28:24 PM »
The way McLeish talks, his whole mindset is one of negativity.  The words and phrases he uses are the words and phrases of a man used to managing relegation outfits - and they don't wash with what we have at the club at the moment.  His whole mindest rubs off on the players and the club as a whole.  An example:

"He (Bent) does make great movement, it's just a pity that sometimes we don't have quite the quality to see the runs and his movement," said McLeish.

The thing is I do think we have the quality.  We do have players who can feed Bent, but, quite clearly they are being told to play in a certain way that makes this nigh on impossible. We have Bannan, Ireland, Petrov, N'Zog and Albrighton to name but five players who do have the quality to see  Bent's runs.  Talking the players down like this is astonishingly poor management in my view.  How on earth is this kind of talk meant to lift the likes of Bannan and Albrighton?  With quality young lads like that you need to give them fire in their bellies, lift them, give them support and and the freedom to express themselves.

The problem lies with McLeish's mindset and his limited abilities as a manager.  That we have the same stats as Blues from this time last season just about sums things up perfectly.  He has misjudged expectations at Villa and he is underestimating the players he has at his disposal, using the sales of Young and Downing as an excuse for where we find ourselves now. 

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2011, 02:43:39 PM »
They broke it down on skysports news this afternoon and in the top 5 forwards who have had the least amount of touches also included Gabby on 470.  He was number 5 and Bent, obviously, was number 1. 

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2011, 02:47:07 PM »
Did'nt he constantly play Cameron Jerome up front on his own whilst at Small Heath?

Offline IRISHPHIL

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2011, 03:24:57 PM »
what has happened to diamond formation we had, surely this should be game plan for home mtaches and away we should have 2 wingers and 1 striker

Offline Compass

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2011, 03:31:07 PM »
This can't go on.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2011, 03:41:49 PM »
Mr Lerner, you have bought a Typhoon to put the bombs on target but you've hired a crew who has no idea how to use it.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2011, 03:58:13 PM »
what has happened to diamond formation we had

Must admit that was the formation that gave us the best balance between attack and defense we've had so far this season.

Offline jembob

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2011, 04:52:24 PM »
I almost wish that I hadn't read that article. If that's his attitude towards his midfield players then it's not surprising that they ignore him during games. Much as I didn't like MON's style of play, at least he knew how to motivate the players and always praised them in public.

If that's his attitude then I really can't imagine how things are going to improve as our players are clearly low on confidence and this article illustrates why he is not the man to turn it around. I really wanted him to succeed in this job but it seems to me that he's lost the mental battle already, despite the bullsh*t.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal