collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Striker Has Fewest Premier League Touches  (Read 28551 times)

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
Re: Villa Striker Has Fewest Premier League Touches
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 11:16:11 AM »
He always talks well. He pin points the problems (probably because they're so obvious). And Alex seems to say the right things.

But then match day comes and it's all hot air. None of the things he highlights get addressed. We still hoof the ball out tor a throw or up field straight back for the opposition to come back at us. Our movement off the ball for throw ins is a joke. It's like nobody wants the ball. They all just stand there.

I'm worried that the best goal scoring potential we've had since possibly yorke is going to be gone in the summer.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 11:27:46 AM »
You see this is exactly my problem with him - when he talks he sound like he knows what the problems are and will do something about it

But then this does not transfer onto the pitch or to the players and that is beyond me why?

If the players are not carrying out his instructions - drop the bastards

If what he says is just bullshit to placate fans etc - then he has to go

And pleeeeeeeeease drop the Fergie comments in almost every piece - not only is it boring but also quite insulting that we lap at the red faced ones feet all the time

Indeed, and what he says about Bent is so blindingly obvious that he may as well change his name to "no shit Sherlock".  Bent is not a target man, or an all round forward.  He does one thing well, superbly even, and that's stick the ball in the onion bag consistently and frequently if provided with sufficient chances.  With players like N'Zogbia, Albrighton, Ireland, Bannan, Petrov, Jenas and Gabby at his disposal you'd think McLeish could find a way of providing Bent with 2-3 chance per game, even against the big boys. But you don't do that by having your entire midfiled focussed only on stopping the opposition from scoring too many.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 11:31:30 AM »
I don't know why he felt the need to come out with all that. Just makes him look like he hasn't a clue. The comments about the midfield mind, look like a thinly veiled "my squad is shite" message.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 11:42:32 AM »
The bloke gets on my tits more and more every day

If players don't perform they will be dropped - bollocks
We were better in the second half - bollocks
heskey could be a centre half - bollocks

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 11:44:38 AM »
This is kinda odd. You'd think, with us not exactly stroking the ball about in midfield and playing a possession game, we'd at least be getting the ball to our strikers, arguably our best two players and both with the ability to hurt the opposition. But we're not doing that effectively, either.

So... what are we actually doing?

We're proving quite how useless vague hoofball is at the highest level. Every game we're proving this.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 11:50:24 AM »
I bet we are at the top of the statistics for the most hoof's up the pitch .

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 11:51:26 AM »
This will lead to 'Villa strike demands to leave for sake of career'.

And who could blame him

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 11:52:12 AM »

I'm pretty sure Blackburn are, and Stoke are surely there or thereabouts. The only way we wouldn't be up there as well is because we're so inefficient at winning the ball back we don't even give ourselves the chance to hoof it.

Offline Merv

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »
This is kinda odd. You'd think, with us not exactly stroking the ball about in midfield and playing a possession game, we'd at least be getting the ball to our strikers, arguably our best two players and both with the ability to hurt the opposition. But we're not doing that effectively, either.

So... what are we actually doing?

We're proving quite how useless vague hoofball is at the highest level. Every game we're proving this.

We are. It's not my choice of style, but if we were playing a fast, high tempo game, getting the ball into Gabby and Bent quickly, stretching opposition defences and putting them under pressure - fine. At least the manager has assessed his options, decided that is what suits us best at this point in time. As it is, we're just.... like you say, just vaguely hoofing the ball about. It's very, very baffling.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 12:02:44 PM »
The bloke gets on my tits more and more every day

If players don't perform they will be dropped - bollocks
We were better in the second half - bollocks
heskey could be a centre half - bollocks

We were better in the second half, though.

That's not the problem. The problem is that, though we were better than in the first half, we were still nothing like good enough

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 12:04:38 PM »
Probably have the most consecutive  and the furthest hoofs.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 12:07:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure Blackburn are, and Stoke are surely there or thereabouts. The only way we wouldn't be up there as well is because we're so inefficient at winning the ball back we don't even give ourselves the chance to hoof it.

scary thought Blackburn scored 5 more goals than us ...    not as bad as Stoke yet

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 12:11:43 PM »
we'll be back to full effect hoofball against Bolton no doubt. After the failure of Albrighton, Jenas and Co, to make any impact in midfield against the mancs, i wouldn't blame him. Ivanhoe nailed on starter.

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »
To be deemed a "hoof" does it have to bounce strangely off a villa players head when being booted up field? Or is the action of mindlessly booting the ball up field as hard as you can constitute for a hoof ball?

If so I'm sure we're more than up there with Stoke and Blackburn.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 12:16:58 PM »
Perhaps the best way to get more touches is for both strikers to plant themselves in our penalty box, as they aren't going to get many otherwise. At least we may be able to clear some crosses. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal