collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randy Lerner - Discuss  (Read 111769 times)

Offline jembob

Re: Randy Lerner - Discuss
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 08:28:17 AM »
I know a lot of ppl will disagree with this and under normal circumstances I would NEVER advocate Villa losing, however a few more defeats to put us close to relegation could be the one and only thing to force Randy into making a decision and taking action. I just hope he doesnt think that giving AM a large wedge to sign players would be the correct decision and action to take.

If Lerner has money invested where I suspect he does, we'll have plenty to spend in January. Even if we did have a healthy war chest, who would want to come to play for us? Mcleish is out of his depth, the squad are clearly unhappy and we have the stench of relegation about us so I can't see us making any decent signings as things stand.

Lerner made a huge mistake by appointing Mcleish and the only way for him to regain the respect of the fans is to rectify the blunder as soon as possible. The question of course is whether Lerner will be too proud to sack Mcleish, particulalrly when he was so stubborn about appointing him in the first place. Last season Houllier clearly had a plan to change out style of play and despite a number of dreadful performances at least seemed to have a plan. Nobody seems to understand what the hell is going on at the moment and I find it difficult to believe that this will be left to carry on. In any commercial organisation it would not.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 09:07:52 AM »
I got blasted about 6 weeks ago for saying we are in a relegation battle, but we are, by the new year we could be in deep shit.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 09:12:47 AM »
Randy made his money through finance not football, he needs to surround himself with more knowledgeable people, at the moment he seems to be winging it.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 09:23:21 AM »
Randy made his money through finance not football, he needs to surround himself with more knowledgeable people, at the moment he seems to be winging it.
Randy didn't make his money. His dad did.

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 09:25:19 AM »
I know a lot of ppl will disagree with this and under normal circumstances I would NEVER advocate Villa losing, however a few more defeats to put us close to relegation could be the one and only thing to force Randy into making a decision and taking action. I just hope he doesnt think that giving AM a large wedge to sign players would be the correct decision and action to take.

If Lerner has money invested where I suspect he does, we'll have plenty to spend in January. Even if we did have a healthy war chest, who would want to come to play for us? Mcleish is out of his depth, the squad are clearly unhappy and we have the stench of relegation about us so I can't see us making any decent signings as things stand.

Lerner made a huge mistake by appointing Mcleish and the only way for him to regain the respect of the fans is to rectify the blunder as soon as possible. The question of course is whether Lerner will be too proud to sack Mcleish, particulalrly when he was so stubborn about appointing him in the first place. Last season Houllier clearly had a plan to change out style of play and despite a number of dreadful performances at least seemed to have a plan. Nobody seems to understand what the hell is going on at the moment and I find it difficult to believe that this will be left to carry on. In any commercial organisation it would not.
I don't think that Lerner is bothered about 'regaining the respect of the fans' though mate.
He appointed the man in despite massive opposition, so he wasn't worried about losing it in the first place.

What other head of ANY company or business would make an appointment that totally alienates a huge section of your customer/supporter base.

I feel that the ONLY way this will resonate with Lerner is when ticket sales and attendances plummet, rather than the position of the team.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 09:27:25 AM »
He ran the business, he knows about it, presumably he had sound advice when he was running it, I'm not convinced he's getting sound advice from his people at Villa Park.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 09:32:06 AM »
Terrible owner.  Completely hopeless when it comes to sports ownership, he's made a mess of the Browns, and now he's done the same here.  The worst thing is that he's wasted so much money that it's going to be very difficult to sell us.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 10:01:01 AM »
Well intentioned, heart in the right place, but absolutely clueless.

Faulkner too is out of his depth.

If we sacked AM, I fear they'd use the same flawed logic in finding another manager.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 10:09:43 AM »
On yesterdays ESPN coverage there was a shot of RL and PF sitting together some point during the first half.  The looked quite unnerved to me.

He still has goodwill as far as I'm concerned.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2011, 10:16:47 AM »
Well intentioned, heart in the right place, but absolutely clueless.

Faulkner too is out of his depth.

If we sacked AM, I fear they'd use the same flawed logic in finding another manager.

Spot on as usual Paulie.  The key problem is that the same man/men who managed to see some logic or sense in appointing AM, where most were shaking their heads in utter disbelief,  will be responsible for appointing his successor.   I dread to think who SAF will recommend next time.  Maybe Solskjaer if we're lucky, but beware, Bruce is on the loose.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2011, 10:23:50 AM »
He really has made a bit of a mess of things.  Not surprised given his lack of football experience.  Letting MON rule and spend like a tinpot dictator was mistake number one.  Appointing the awful PF is something that will continue to damage the clubs future.  GH was a gamble that didn't pay off but I won't critisise him for taking the risk.  But AM is simply unacceptable. What did he expect to happen.  The best thing he has done was the signing of Bent.  He has two options.  Replace AM and PF quick sharp or start looking for somebody with the pockets and know how to buy the club.  If he does neither then we are looking at a long spell in the lower leagues as the club has the stench of relegation at every corner. Time for Randy to man up or chip off.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2011, 10:31:26 AM »
It still is a redeemable situation for Randy and the board. They need to learn from this weird experiment and get rid of AM.
I agree McLeish might  not be the right man for the job, but I don't think any manager can get enough out of our player personnel to compete at the PL level.

You're fucking joking. This side is packed with internationals - I'm not saying that means we should win every week, but it should mean that the manager has an easier time of building a decent side. I also worry about AMC's motivating skills, he doesn't appear to be able to rouse the team, they look lethargic.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2011, 10:35:57 AM »
I'm fuming with Lerner. How on earth did he think appointing McLeish was going to be a good idea? He is to blame. The club has lost all direction & he has undone the hardwork he previously done.

Go.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2011, 10:45:49 AM »
Randy is a good man but needs somebody with football experience on the board plain and simple. He is also too honest and is more worried about getting on with manager than what the manager delivers on the pitch.
McLeish and Grant are a disaster and dare I say it poor mans Steve Bruce and Eric Black which is no compliment....
The ship is sinking and we will be well in the crap by the turn of the year.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2011, 10:52:57 AM »
Terrible owner.  Completely hopeless when it comes to sports ownership, he's made a mess of the Browns, and now he's done the same here.  The worst thing is that he's wasted so much money that it's going to be very difficult to sell us.
How's your head today?! Good night, was it?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal