collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by dave.woodhall
[Today at 10:29:04 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 10:27:37 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:16:54 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:08:40 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randy Lerner - Discuss  (Read 111804 times)

Offline monkeyboy

Randy Lerner - Discuss
« on: December 04, 2011, 03:11:54 AM »
What are the thoughts of the H&V faithful  - does he still have credit in the bank or is it time he started to tout us on the market (anyone who has ever been interested in Portsmouth need not apply)

Frankly i have no faith left in him, the board, or the manager that i had no faith in in the first palce

Been a season ticket holder since 1983 and can't remember a collective feeling of despair like this.

Sat in the Holte tonight remembering the debut of Didier Six against Man U all those years ago and how good that day felt  (ok Six turned out to be shite from that game onwards) can't remember turning up at VP expecting to lose, and worse expecting us not to put up a fight - was expecting the formation today to be 10-0-0, AM has clearly stifled any creativity and also decided that the best way to play the modern game is without a midfield

Perhaps i'm getting old and the rose tinted specs are sitting a little too comfortably - but Villa under this ginger turd is awful and for me the buck stops with RL - awful appointment and have to say it, after all of the hopes of the bright new dawn - awful fucking Chairman.

Happy to be shouted down

Offline Compass

Re: Randy Lerner - Discuss
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 03:25:36 AM »
This time last year everyone would have jumped down your throat including myself. But since that disastrous appointment I'm inclined to agree with you. All the good things he has built at this club is destroyed by that one move. It was just dumb on so many levels.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 03:28:31 AM »
Credit in the bank, the man is worth $1.5 billion, end of.

He chose the manager he saw fit for the job, we're in 9th place. The football's not great but your going to need more convincing than that to prove we're a bad team in a good position.

What midfield does McLeish have to work with.. what line up on paper would have been better than todays in terms of offensive ability. You can't ask much more from the manager, he uses the players he's got.

Offline KRS

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 03:28:56 AM »
For all the good things that he has built, he is slowly but surely dismantling it all brick by brick.

I have absolutely no faith in the board, management or playing staff other than the fact that they stand a good chance of getting us relegated unless they make some swift and drastic changes to improve matters both on and off the pitch.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 03:30:45 AM »
Last time a thread was started about the chairman it got taken off pretty quickly, lets see how long this one lasts.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 03:32:43 AM »
In before lockdown!

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 03:33:14 AM »
For all the good things that he has built, he is slowly but surely dismantling it all brick by brick.

I have absolutely no faith in the board, management or playing staff other than the fact that they stand a good chance of getting us relegated unless they make some swift and drastic changes to improve matters both on and off the pitch.
There are too many Blues football teams this year for Villa to get relegated.

Offline Compass

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 03:33:36 AM »

He chose the manager he saw fit for the job, we're in 9th place. The football's not great but your going to need more convincing than that to prove we're a bad team in a good position.

Here's a good one. Blues had more points last season than we do this season. We're close to the relegation zone than 7th. We have the worst possession and pass rate. We still need to play other of the top 6 teams where as the bottom teams have played them by now. We have Bolton away next week where as Bolton reserves defeated us at home comfortably where most of our first team was on the pitch.

Please don't lie to yourself anymore. There's optimism and there's facing the shitstorm reality. Do the latter.

Offline KRS

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 03:41:08 AM »
Dont let a quick glance at the Premier League table fool you and this is a thread about Randys decisions not how good or bad a manager AM is. The simple reality of it is that we are a very bad team playing very bad football and our "good position" wont last long when teams below us start picking up a few points during our difficult fixtures.

Theres currently 2 points seperating 8th to 14th place including Everton, Norwich, QPR, West Brom, Stoke and Swansea...after our relatively easy start to the campaign, is it acceptable that we are grouped with all 3 teams that got promoted? A couple of wins for Fulham, Sunderland and Wolves and we'll be hovering above relegation.

Our only saving grace is that Bolton, Wigan, Wolves, Blackburn and Sunderland seem to be trying their best to win the "who can be shitter than the Villa contest"...if a 2 or 3 of those teams manage to turn it around before we do then we're going to be in a whole load of shit come January.

Randy Lerner appointed Alex McLeish.
Randy Lerner sold our 2 best players this summer.
Randy Lerner authorised the signings of Hutton, Jeenas and N'Zogbia.

AM is a poor manager trying to do a job with poor to average players at his disposal. It doesnt take a genius to work out that this equation isnt going to work out very well, and someone has to take responsibility for getting us in this mess in the first place.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 03:51:04 AM by KRS »

Offline Iago

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 03:53:21 AM »
He has lost me with the appointment of AM.

Offline KRS

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 03:59:17 AM »
I know a lot of ppl will disagree with this and under normal circumstances I would NEVER advocate Villa losing, however a few more defeats to put us close to relegation could be the one and only thing to force Randy into making a decision and taking action. I just hope he doesnt think that giving AM a large wedge to sign players would be the correct decision and action to take.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 04:11:34 AM »

What midfield does McLeish have to work with.. what line up on paper would have been better than todays in terms of offensive ability. You can't ask much more from the manager, he uses the players he's got.

I think most managers outside the top 5/6 clubs would be snap your hands off if you offered them a midfield containing the likes of Petrov, Delph, Ireland, Jenas, N'Zogbia, Bannan, Albrighton and Herd.   We are short of a midfield enforcer, but there is enough to work with there for any vaguely talented management team.

re Lerner:   He went out on a limb on this one and it looks like he's fcuked up big style.  The picture could change a fair bit though if we go to Bolton next week and win.  I don't ever expect us to be fluent and entertaining on Big Ecks watch, but we might be a bit less shit than some of the weaker teams -both head to head and over the course of the season.

And that might be enough.

Sad thing is, if it isn't - if we have a bad run and RL appoints a more credible option like a Hughes or Benitez, he's still lost a lot of goodwill on this one.  Goodwill that will be quite hard to build up again. I don't think one new appointment alone will do it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 04:14:05 AM by KevinGage »

Offline Iago

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 04:19:30 AM »
It still is a redeemable situation for Randy and the board. They need to learn from this weird experiment and get rid of AM.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 04:21:11 AM by Iago »

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 06:41:56 AM »
It still is a redeemable situation for Randy and the board. They need to learn from this weird experiment and get rid of AM.
I agree McLeish might  not be the right man for the job, but I don't think any manager can get enough out of our player personnel to compete at the PL level.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 07:30:25 AM »
Lost respect for the man after two terrible appointments the fact that he's given up on the club and he sees us as a business model rather than a football club. Having said that who wants to buy a football club these days? You may as well throw your cash on the fire

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal