collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: If McLeish was sacked, who would you want in?  (Read 95315 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: If McLeish was sacked, who would you want in?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 09:44:18 PM »
I'll do it. For a tenth of the wage. Even more cost-effective for Randy.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 09:44:38 PM »
Hughes would be the obvious choice. Does anyone know why we didn't go for him in the summer?

Something to do with Hughes walking away from Fulham or something. But they tapped McLeish up who did exactly the same to Blues. Bunch of hypocritial fairies. I think they may have a mental health problem. That's the only reasonable logical explanation that I could make a summary of them two useless prats.

When you haven't got a clue what you're talking about the best thing to do is keep quiet.

Offline Fin Feds Dad

• GM : 09.08.2016
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 09:44:45 PM »
Trevor Francis, Steve Bruce and Terry Cooper are available.

What about the gipsy or barry austin ?

Offline charleeco7

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 09:47:57 PM »
Dean Saunders?

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 09:49:18 PM »
Unfortunately I don't think Lerner will sack McLeish until it's too late. I think McLeish's brief for this year was to cut the wage bill while keeping us in the PL. No other footballing ambitions - as witnessed by the letter to ST holders. Lerner will stick with him until we're practically relegated.  I think the only way he'll sack him is if we drop - and there'll probably be a clause in his contract to avoid paying him off if that happens. Given that we'll either be beyond saving or actually in the Championship we won't attract the likes of Hughes or Hiddinck. The really bad news is that if by some miracle we stay in the PL - McLeish will have met his remit and will be kept on. We are steadfastly stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 09:51:33 PM »
While Wigan, Blackburn and Bolton, amongst others, are around, there is no chance of us going down. No chance of us doing anything else bar existing mind.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 09:52:57 PM »
Unfortunately I don't think Lerner will sack McLeish until it's too late. I think McLeish's brief for this year was to cut the wage bill while keeping us in the PL. No other footballing ambitions - as witnessed by the letter to ST holders. Lerner will stick with him until we're practically relegated.  I think the only way he'll sack him is if we drop - and there'll probably be a clause in his contract to avoid paying him off if that happens. Given that we'll either be beyond saving or actually in the Championship we won't attract the likes of Hughes or Hiddinck. The really bad news is that if by some miracle we stay in the PL - McLeish will have met his remit and will be kept on. We are steadfastly stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Unfortunately CJ i think you've got it spot on.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 09:54:56 PM »
i think he will remove AM if necessary. with blackburn winning we're now 6 points from the bottom with this run coming. if we pick up the points total most of us think likely then we're not gonna be far off the relegation places come january. End of the day if you've got a chairman who only cares about the balance sheet then he's not gonna live with a big 20m plus loss from relegation just to save face. And lets face it we're a team with totally no fight in it. Stick us in the mix with the relegation battlers and you wouldn't fancy our chances

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 09:56:03 PM »
McLeish has a lot of experience with that.

Offline Shoody

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 09:57:26 PM »
Hughes

+ Somewhat decent football (Like Barca compared to now)
 + Can spot a good few players in the market (Samba, majority of City squad his)
 + Can get best of his players (even Ireland!?)
 + Worked with a few of our players before
 + Good record in the prem

- Hughes ditched his club in a second the minute a better offer was coming (he thought)
 - He wanted clauses to say he could leave us if a top club came in
 - He would put Ireland in the team, who, simply, we cannot afford to keep
       - Would stall progress of Gardner and Bannan
       - He only looked good for 12 months when playing with Robinho
       - He costs 70k a week that would be better spent on 2 new players.
 - His agent is a massive twat
 - His agent would likely try and sign up our players ( see last point )
 - Did I mention that letting Kia Joorabchian anywhere near this club would be terrible?
 - If Joorabchian signed up ANY of our youngsters we can say goodbye to them pretty much instantly.

Paul Lambert

+ Good style of play
+ Is currently only a couple of points behind us, despite having 0 Premiership quality players
+ Gets the best of his team
+ Is capable of pulling off shock results (Liverpool, so close vs Utd) - No doubt he could do it here.
+ Relatively cheap as he's (no disrespect) only at Norwich
+ Young Manager, could be our David Moyes

- Very close to Martin O'Neill (in terms of personality and they are close friends
- Even his mannerisms match MON's!
- Norwich have attempted more long-passes (read: Hoofs) than us this season, putting a dampner on the 'Good Football'
- Would mean paying compo (though cheap) not sure Lerner would do this again
- Relatively inexperienced, Norwich only in their first Prem season.. could get a big case of 'Second Season Syndrome'

Gus Poyet

+ He is foreign
+ His name sounds nice
+ Good style of play
+ Very good with youth
+ Gets best of his players
+ Young manager, could build a legacy

- Never managed in the Premiership
- Only B&HA's first championship season, again, could get a big case of Second Season Syndrome
- Could find he is well out of his depth managing in the Premiership
- Big Risk taking such an inexperienced manager, it could fail with disastrous consequences
- Unproven (long term) in the transfer market (but, in fairness he seems to have done very well so far!)

Owen Coyle

+Good with Youth, shown with Sturridge
+Good in the transfer market, Sturridge, tried desperately to try and sign Jeffren
+Good style of play
+Relatively young manager looking to build a legacy

- Big case of Second Season Syndrome
- Appears to be something wrong with his training to create such a big Injury Crisis at Bolton
- Finished his one good season in the prem with some very bad form
- Inconsistent (plays well, then gets spanked by Stoke 5-0)

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

+SAF said he is one of the best 'Students of Football' he has ever known
+Plays very good football
+ Comes with strong links to UTD in terms of loan deals and getting decent players in towards end of career (... if these are plusses?).
+Has won the league with Molde for the first time and is very promising
+One of the big up and coming managers in football.. could be a big big coup for the club

- Very inexperienced
- Spent at Molde to win the league
- Only ever managed one club
- That club is in the Norweigen League
- Inevitable Love-in trip to Old Trafford
- Big links to Utd
- The Letter Randy would receive from SAF would probably make RL die of happyness

This is where I am at. FWIW I would definitely go with Lambert if we could get him, but he is so close to MON that I am sure he will know all the backstory to his leaving, tribunal etc. May be a reason for him to say no... his closeness to MON could also be a mitigating factor for Randy not going for him (but maybe Randy regrets what happened with MON and this could work in Lamberts favour)

Poyet would be very good, but if it failed Randy would be lambasted for taking on a manager with little-to-no experience.

Would be happy with any of the above.. but not hughes. Sorry, just no, not until he gets rid of Joorabchian

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 10:04:31 PM by Shoody »

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 09:59:43 PM »
As we could'nt attract anybody of any real substance or standing in the Summer when we'd just come off another top 10 finnish with a new 20 mill striker at the Club and some good (and now largely sold) players in the squad, I shudder to think who we'd be getting now. 

Who i'd want would be Gus Hiddink.  Who we'd get would be Gus Poyet.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 10:01:39 PM »
Don't think he'll be sacked any time soon. At the earliest he'll be off in January and if we don't have a seriously bad run he'll probably last until the end of the season.

I think our options will be limited by the constraints the new man will be operating under. Things were much more opportune in the summer and we ended up with McLeish. I don't think we'll be able to attract someone like Rodgers or Lambert solely for the fact they probably feel a loyalty to their clubs and won't be tempted to leave in the middle of the season. I don't think Hughes is a goer as I doubt whatever reason the board didn't want him in the summer has disappeared and I don't think he'll be keen as we rejected him before. I think we should be looking for someone who can work to a limited budget and who is a relatively young coach which leads me to suggest Simon Grayson.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 10:02:41 PM »
There's no energy, belief or passion. The players clearly know that McMinge ain't going to do it for the club. The back four monkeys are back in easy street and the rest of the team are back-peddling as a result.
If RL had any sense at all he'd see the writing on the wall and cut his losses with McMinge.

The problem is: who could we bring in as manager? - Hughes is obvious but we already overlooked him in the summer. Coyle's season has done for him.  Ditto Martinez.

Looks like someone from the Championship - well Sven's available; Lee Clark's a great manager, it seems; Southampton's manager would be good but he would not leave as they are doing so well; Gus Poyet would be a good shout.

Not an enviable decision or choice.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 10:03:14 PM »
Dean Saunders?

Right now i'd take Finbarr Saunders. He'd make us tight at the rear. Fnaar fnaar.

Offline Shoody

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 10:04:53 PM »
But none of it matters because AM isnt getting sacked.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal