collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 10:48:46 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 10:47:01 AM]

[Today at 10:46:43 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by LeeS
[Today at 10:41:26 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 10:41:25 AM]

[Today at 10:40:45 AM]

Re: Aston Villa: 150 Years Squads & Souvenirs by FrankyH
[Today at 10:37:01 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by ROBBO
[Today at 10:35:20 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stephen Ireland - Still has future.  (Read 16380 times)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Stephen Ireland - Still has future.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 03:01:53 PM »
I am imagine that Andy Marshall is the next cab off the rank in midfield if Emile needs a rest.

Offline supertommykN'iba

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 03:19:03 PM »
I don't understand why he keeps coming out saying these things, when he persists with the team he plays. Like most of you have said, he goes on about touch and vision but plays Heskey?!?!

Ireland is a massive talent, and I feel that if we could fit him and Bannan in the team somewhere, we'd have a lot bigger chance of scoring more and therefore winning more.

Problem with SI is that he can't tackle, so therefore has to have say Herd and Petrov playing behind him.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 03:40:47 PM »
I don't understand why he keeps coming out saying these things, when he persists with the team he plays. Like most of you have said, he goes on about touch and vision but plays Heskey?!?!

It's because when a manager is asked the question about a players status in the club, and he has to come out with the usual platitudes. It is fairly evident that if a team wanted him on loan that suited him, he'd be off.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 03:42:58 PM »
Problem with Mcshit is that he talks a good game but in reality he hasn't got a tube a glue

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 03:45:03 PM »
I would play Ireland instead of Heskey all day long.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 03:54:14 PM »
Ireland could do a job for us now. 

Or anyone else for that matter who prefers a fairy as oppose to a star atop their Christmas tree...

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 03:54:40 PM »
I would play Ireland instead of Heskey all day long.

One has huge talent but can't be arsed the other is almost the exact opposite, whatever the selection the result is more or less the same.

Offline Iago

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 03:56:10 PM »
You are right, it does not make sense. But considering his whole appointment did not have good logic, why do we believe his management would?

I suspect his comments are there to appeal to the fan base, but at this current time, it is having the opposite impact on supporters. The supporters are intelligent enough to see our playing style for themselves.

Ireland is a massive talent, and I feel that if we could fit him and Bannan in the team somewhere, we'd have a lot bigger chance of scoring more and therefore winning more.
Absolutely. I was hoping AM would rebuild SI's career when he first joined, but I have seen nothing to suggest that AM believes in Ireland.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 04:14:51 PM »
Personally I'm still amazed at how many Villa fans are willing to pin their hopes and expectations on Ireland coming good. The bloke behind me on Sunday was screaming for him to come on (I don't even think he was a sub, but  that's by the by!). What has he done to justify this faith and support? Oh yeah, he played well in the 2nd half at QPR, and that's about it. Pretty much every other time he's played, he's just not performed, and more importantly not looked bothered either.

He's let us down so many times on and off the pitch that he's got a LOT of work to do before he even comes close to winning me over.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:27:52 PM by Marlon From Bearwood »

Offline eastie

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
Personally I'm still amazed at how many Villa fans are willing to pin their hopes and expectations on Ireland coming good. The bloke behind me on Sunday was screaming for him to come on (I don't even think he was a sub, but  that's by the by!). What has he done to justify this faith and support? Oh yeah, he played well in the 2nd half at QPR, and that's about it. Pretty much every other time he's played, he's just not performed, and more importantly not looked bothered either.

He's let us down so many times on and off the pitch that he's got a LOT of work to do before he even comes close to winning me over.

Give him a decent regular place in the team over a period of time and he will show what he can do, ireland on form and confident would be a revelation in this team , we are crying out for a creative skillful midfielder , give him a fair chance not just a couple of games.

Heskey has had a decent run in the team and delivered sod all , so time for stevie to get a chance.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 05:02:45 PM »
I can't imagine Ireland being any worse than Heskey was on Sunday.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 05:24:27 PM »
It's no surprise that we've seen our best football this season with Ireland and Bannan on the pitch. It's clear as fucking anything that Ireland and Bannan should be part of a midfield 3 if we want to control games and play actual football.

Who does the tackling in a midfield 3 with those 2 up top?  Our midfield is being walked through as it is...

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 05:26:44 PM »
It shouldn't be an either/or as far as Ireland and Bannan are concerned.

Both linked up brilliantly in the second half v QPR, playing little give and go's and opening up space.  They both seem to be on the same wavelength, so lets try it for an extended period.

The nature of those kind of flair players is they won't do it every game, and there will be the familiar cries of 'goes missing,' after certain matches.  But Heskey never even arrived in the first place. (I wish he hadn't.)   I'll take a mercurial talent who does it sometimes over a lumbering oaf who trips over his own shadow any day of the week.

Injury permitting, give SI a run of 10 or so games, and if he hasn't delivered Big Eck will be well within his rights to say "you're no good to me, you weird baldy bastard"  and bench him/ move him on.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 05:36:46 PM »
Still has a future in tele sales...

I think the problem is we have far too many samey type midfielders. Herd and Petrov are obviously the water carriers who break up (or at the very least are supposed to) play, get the tackles in, distribute the ball and try and stop the oppositions midfield from having a go. The Zog is the only out and out winger we have, much as I want to see Albrighton have a run and tantalise us with the form he showed early last season, the Eck doesn't seem to fancy him so, unless you want to stick Gabby out on the right and play one up top

This leaves a central pairing of Delph, Jenas, Ireland or Bannan. Barry and Fabian still learning the craft, Jenas when he's not injured and Ireland who doesn't seem to care at all. Makoun doesn't even come into it.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 05:37:10 PM »
I think the idea of snapping his finger and thumb is harsh but motivating.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal