collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 12:07:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:48:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 11:45:03 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:35:05 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Naming rights cont.  (Read 7317 times)

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
Re: Naming rights cont.
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 01:17:07 PM »
One of the big value on a deal for Villa Park would be creating huge hoardings viewed from the the M6 and the Expressway. This alone would be worth £000's per year, in he same way it is for Walsall.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 01:48:31 PM »
One of the big value on a deal for Villa Park would be creating huge hoardings viewed from the the M6 and the Expressway. This alone would be worth £000's per year, in he same way it is for Walsall.

I've said it before but Villa Park is not a giant billboard.  Walsall do that because they're small time.  We are not.

What next?  Have the players face painted with their sponsor's logo?!

Offline Handsworth Wood Villa

• TRS-T
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 02:56:26 PM »
How are Stoke above Spurs, us, Everton and Newcastle?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 03:03:28 PM »

New grounds with no other name have a premium. I guess that's why Arsenal are above Manchester United.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 03:43:19 PM »
I wouldn't want it to happen either, but it's attractive to advertisers who will call the shots if it were to sponsored.

Look at Fulham and the betting company that sponsors them. One of the things they can sell is the space on the roof of theur stands to paint the ad so it can be seen by thousands of people landing at Heathrow everyday.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »
I made this point in the previous thread about Newcastle renaming St. James's Park, but if a ground already has a perfectly serviceable name, are the print media and the broadcasters - particularly the BBC - obliged to use the sponsored alternative?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 06:56:08 PM »
I made this point in the previous thread about Newcastle renaming St. James's Park, but if a ground already has a perfectly serviceable name, are the print media and the broadcasters - particularly the BBC - obliged to use the sponsored alternative?

yes. They'll likely be told in very certain terms by the club to call it the McVities Stadium or Bassetts Wine Gums Arena or whatever because the club are being paid well for it. It happens in North America a lot. My wife works for Sun Life Financial and they recently bought the naming rights to the Miami Dolphins stadium. It's worth many millions and while it might not be possible to change what the fans have called it in the past or prefer to call it, all those representing the game in any official capacity have to call it by it's new name.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 08:28:09 PM »
I thought that would probably be the case.  I'd love the BBC to have the balls to drop in their usual rider when faced with explicit advertising: let's go over to Mike Ingham at the Etihad Stadium - other airlines are available should you wish to fly to the Middle East.   It's not as if they're ever going to get live TV rights any time soon and if it knocked a few million off the latest assault on the traditions of our sport I'd be delighted.

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 10:31:03 PM »
I hadn't realised Etihad was an airline; I'm constantly being educated.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 01:58:10 AM »

New grounds with no other name have a premium. I guess that's why Arsenal are above Manchester United.

Stoke might look better on paper because this season they are in Europe.  You know what I mean!

Offline Lowendbehold

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 06:59:08 AM »
I hadn't realised Etihad was an airline; I'm constantly being educated.

Not many do.  It's about the size of Flybe with more cash than the G7. It's owned by Sheik Mansour's half brother. 

As I understand it the EUFA FP rules regard investments by family of owners to be connected and therefore not a way round the rules. We will see if EUFA take on the Sheiks.  What have I just said?! Stupid boy!

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 07:29:53 AM »
If the criteria these guys work from are correct, those numbers are probably about right.

We lose out on all counts, not the least of which is the 'existing iconic name' bit.

If anything, it's quite insulting to see us so far ahead of Newcastle.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 07:49:33 AM »

yes. They'll likely be told in very certain terms by the club to call it the McVities Stadium or Bassetts Wine Gums Arena or whatever because the club are being paid well for it. It happens in North America a lot. My wife works for Sun Life Financial and they recently bought the naming rights to the Miami Dolphins stadium. It's worth many millions and while it might not be possible to change what the fans have called it in the past or prefer to call it, all those representing the game in any official capacity have to call it by it's new name.

And that's basically how you end up with classics like "The Home Depot Center" or, my own favorite, "PIzza Hut Park" ....ffs!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal