collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by john e
[Today at 02:14:39 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:12:45 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by robleflaneur
[Today at 02:11:53 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:08:07 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 02:05:07 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Richard
[Today at 02:03:24 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:01:53 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by CT Villan
[Today at 01:59:17 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Petrov  (Read 20326 times)

Offline The Walshmeister

Petrov
« on: November 27, 2011, 08:45:55 PM »
Where was he?

Have heard a players revolt may be happening about formation and style of play. Went to see McLeish and now he's not on bench.....

Just saying loike!

Offline Shoody

Re: Petrov
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 09:08:15 PM »
He had a hamstring injury supposedly..

But saying that McLeish did say yesterday that there were no fitness concerns ahead of the game.

Cant see that BS story you just posted being true though.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 09:11:13 PM »
Players revolt my arse.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 09:12:43 PM »
Where have you heard that from?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 09:22:11 PM »
From the last days of Dolly to GHou/GaryMac's bust-ups with players we must have the most revolting players in the history of football.
Disgusting!

Offline gervilla

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 09:27:48 PM »
Apparently he busted himself off a door frame.
He was walking into the dressing room but for no reason what-so-ever instead of just going straight ahead he decided to go sideways.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:41:48 PM by gervilla »

Offline Shoody

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 09:33:09 PM »
I like Stan and I think he's been very good this season and he's a great guy, seems to always have time for the fans. But imo he needs to go. He's a big influence on our very poor midfield.

He's a defensive minded midfielder, but doesn't have the legs to break up the play and put himself about and seems inable to move the ball forwards effectively. When we play him we also need to play another DM to do the donkey work that usually comes with the main DM role. So Herd or Delph (who is actually a playmaker). It adds to how defensive we our set up. We need a proper Defensive Midfielder to allow our better midfielders to get forward and score goals. Im hoping that player is Herd or he can atleast be a decent backup to this new DM. as Herd is great as cover for many positions.

When we play Petrov we also need another DM. Getting a new DM (maybe even Herd as full time DM?) it would allow us to then have a proper midfield 3 of a DM,  Playmaker and an Attacker. You could see the difference in the last 12 minutes today when we stopped playing with two people playing as DM's and started playing a Playmaker in Bannan and a more advanced mid in Jenas.

I guess im trying to say that Petrov is a waste of a place in our starting 11. He adds much needed experience to the midfield and has played well this year and has actually gotten forward a bit.. but hes defensively minded and you can see it in his (always backwards) passing. We need our own Tiote.

My choice would be Etienne Capoue from Toulouse, I think he's a fantastic player but anyone who can do the role well would be great.. Also replacing Heskey with a new Attacking Mid to cover Gardner would also be handy as Heskey will be gone next year. (I'd even be tempted to buy Craig Gardner as a backup to Gary, playing with his brother at his boyhood club might help keep the lad in a couple of years time)

Giving us a midfield of

-------------Capoue (Herd)
-------Gardner(s)---Bannan (Delph)

A new DM/a new AM over Petrov and Heskey would give us a much much better midfield. I think we would start seeing an improvement in our defence without constant barrage because we cant move the ball forwards. You could see it aswell for five minutes after Heskey came off. we lost all our momentum because the gameplan was Hoof to Heskey. It took five minutes for the team to adjust and we created a lot more chances because of it.

Oh... and no chance has there been another player revolt.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:19:16 PM by Shoody »

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 09:34:47 PM »
He came off with a tight hamstring (or some leg issue) v Spurs and McLeish said he'd take no risks given the number of upcoming games we have.

OR

He threw a hissy fit after reading so many disgruntled views on H&V and called McLeish a slag, before nutting Paul Faulkner, both of whom have apparently ripped the very soul out of Villa. This currently 8th placed team is the worst in the entire history of Aston Villa, nay football full stop.

Offline ez

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 09:48:15 PM »
He's still trying to get to the stadium. He can only go sideways or backwards so its difficult for him.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 09:53:55 PM »
I like Stan and I think he's been very good this season and he's a great guy, seems to always have time for the fans. But imo he needs to go. He's a big influence on our very poor midfield.

He's a defensive minded midfielder, but doesn't have the legs to break up the play and put himself about and seems inable to move the ball forwards effectively. When we play him we also need to play another DM to do the donkey work that usually comes with the main DM role. So Herd or Delph (who is actually a playmaker). It adds to how defensive we our set up. We need a proper Defensive Midfielder to allow our better midfielders to get forward and score goals. Im hoping that player is Herd or he can atleast be a decent backup to this new DM. as Herd is great as cover for many positions.

When we play Petrov we also need another DM. Getting a new DM (maybe even Herd as full time DM?) it would allow us to then have a proper midfield 3 of a DM,  Playmaker and an Attacker. You could see the difference in the last 12 minutes today when we stopped playing with two people playing as DM's and started playing a Playmaker in Bannan and a more advanced mid in Jenas.

I guess im trying to say that Petrov is a waste of a place in our starting 11. He adds much needed experience to the midfield and has played well this year and has actually gotten forward a bit.. but hes defensively minded and you can see it in his (always backwards) passing. We need our own Tiote.

My choice would be Etienne Capoue from Toulouse, I think he's a fantastic player but anyone who can do the role well would be great.. Also replacing Heskey with a new DM to cover Gardner would also be handy as Heskey will be gone next year. (I'd even be tempted to buy Craig Gardner as a backup to Gary, playing with his brother at his boyhood club might help keep the lad)

Giving us a midfield of

-------------Capoue (Herd)
-------Gardner(s)---Bannan (Delph)

A new DM/a new AM over Petrov and Heskey would give us a much much better midfield. I think we would start seeing an improvement in our defence without constant barrage because we cant move the ball forwards. You could see it aswell for five minutes after Heskey came off. we lost all our momentum because the gameplan was Hoof to Heskey. It took five minutes for the team to adjust and we created a lot more chances because of it.

Oh... and no chance has there been another player revolt.

Hard to fault any of your ideas. Someone's been playing Football Manager ;)

Offline steffo

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 09:59:25 PM »
Do you expect our current incumbent to sign the next 'Petrov'. - We wont see his like down Villa Park for many a long time.

Offline Shoody

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 10:16:57 PM »
Do you expect our current incumbent to sign the next 'Petrov'. - We wont see his like down Villa Park for many a long time.

No I fully expect us to sign Steven Davis within minutes of Jenas' loan deal ending.

But one can dream.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 10:48:59 PM »
Herd played very well today I thought in the Stan role.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 11:14:41 PM »
Where was he?

Have heard a players revolt may be happening about formation and style of play. Went to see McLeish and now he's not on bench.....

Rubbish. he makes no impact when he is in the side, so I am surprised that you noticed he wasn't playing.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 11:54:38 PM »
Herd played very well today I thought in the Stan role.

Yes, I've been quite impressed by him. Slightly concerned that he's a bit full-blooded at times and will pick up lots of cards, but he'll learn to be a bit more savvy about that with experience.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal