collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Eric Lichaj  (Read 8348 times)

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: Eric Lichaj
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011, 04:43:41 AM »
I thought Hutton’s yellow card was utterly needless but it was in keeping with our overall tackling in the game. A neutral watching us last night would have thought we were just a dirty team  -Delph, Hutton, Dunne all booked for coming through the back of a player, and Warnock should have received one too for an appalling foul in a dangerous position on the edge of our box. Our tackling really needs to be sorted out: defenders should take a yellow for a good reason, not for a stupid lunge in a non-threatening situation.

Hutton is fast developing a national reputation as a dirty player and refs will at some point start to hand out cards more quickly leading either to him getting a red or having to hold back on challenges which will allow his man to get past him and create havoc.

I see Chris’ point - I didn’t think Hutton had an awful game (notwithstanding his awful reading of the crossfield ball referred to above), as he was rarely passed by his winger, but I always felt he was liable to lunge in and get a second yellow.

Overall I think he may simply be a throwback to the old school “let him know you’re there with your first tackle, son” , but the days of refs allowing you one free clog before tightening up are long gone.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 09:42:57 AM »
Hutton has been poor since we signed him I would like to try another option at right back to see if that makes any difference it couldn't do any harm.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 12:07:24 PM »
I think Hutton has a lot more ability then he is showing currently as he seems like a liability.
But I would play Lichaj or Herd at right back before him at the mo.

McLeish spunked a large part of his budget on him though so that's not likely to happen, I know.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 07:05:23 PM »
AM is in the mail tonight saying how we have to cut down on our bookings. Makes you wonder. If he's not telling the likes of Hutton to to play that way, then who is?

edit: found it

“I was a wee bit disappointed with the bookings that we got,” said McLeish. “We were a wee bit rash at times. We needed to keep our heads. We were too rash.

“There’s nothing wrong with adhering to the team talk from me, which was asking for real aggression – but I did call for controlled aggression
“There’s a difference. I didn’t want them to be reckless. I told them to be careful.

“I said ‘Let’s not get early cards because you put yourself under pressure for the rest of the game’.

“It’s about reading the game a wee bit and not getting drawn into heavy tackles.

!!!

Kick the shit out 'em lads but in a "controlled way"

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/11/29/aston-villa-players-warned-to-control-themselves-as-suspensions-loom-97319-29862177/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:31:45 PM by Greg N'Ash »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal