collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The age of the SPL in England looms  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Gaztonniller

The age of the SPL in England looms
« on: November 26, 2011, 07:07:49 PM »

Barclays Premier League Table - November 26 2011
Uefa Champions League: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Pos      Team                P      Pts
1 Manchester City        12     34
2 Manchester United    13     30
3 Tottenham Hotspur  12      28
4 Newcastle United      13     26
5 Chelsea                    13      25
6  Liverpool                 12     22   
7  Arsenal                    12      22   
10  Aston Villa             12      15

It seems as if we'd better get use to the SPL fans feeling. By that i mean that with the Mancs dropping points today, seems like the title is only a formality for their nr neighbours. The year in/ year out two horse race that is the SPL looks like occuring here with the only difference being that it threatens to become a one horse race EPL.
Cant really see where a Villa/Forest, equivalent winning the top league will come from; and if another team outside of MC threatens to win it, or does win it then they'll only go out in January and spend another £200 mill buying up the talent.  Gloomy days indeed i feel.   

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
Re: The age of the SPL in England looms
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:47:23 AM »

if another team outside of MC threatens to win it, or does win it then they'll only go out in January and spend another £200 mill buying up the talent.  Gloomy days indeed i feel.   

I'm hoping and expecting that the financial fair play system being implemented will stop this, this may be the last season, if at all, that this happens.

And we're nowhere near as bad as the SPL, a lot of the teams outside of the top 4 or 5 draw in attendances that would be considered poor in our 3rd division. It's not quite as bad as you might make out yet.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: The age of the SPL in England looms
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:53:27 AM »
All FFP will do is then cement the top 4 as the top 4 as your spending can't get out of kilter with your revenue, once implemented it'll be even more of a closed shop.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal