collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by amfy
[Today at 07:14:31 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alternative view from Lawrenson? - no, not really!  (Read 13355 times)

Offline mal

Re: Alternative view from Lawrenson? - no, not really!
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2011, 10:49:17 AM »
As for "selling club", I've still not seen a definition of what it means, despite the phrase being frequently bandied about willy nilly.  In my opinion it's just a convenient phrase normally used as a way of intellectualising an insult.

I thought 'The Modric to Chelsea' Story was a classic example of the difference between a selling and non selling Club.

Old Waxface stick to his guns and Modric is still at Spurs now and I can see them finishing above Chelsea this season.  Had Modric been a Villa player we'd have taken the cash without a second thought.

That's the difference right there.

Is about right. You could similarly argue that the shift for us was when we resisted Liverpool for Barry, but then capitulated feebly with Milner the following year. You could be more positive though - Barry and Young were both at the end of long deals and at stages of their careers where moves from almost any club were likely. Milner was a loss but Downing was ther first time I can ever remember us actually getting a truly good deal selling a player.

Offline Iago

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2011, 10:55:13 AM »
The truth hurts but lawro is bang on the money!
How?

Offline eastie

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »
We cannot realistically compete with the finances of the big 6 and now can look at 7th as being the best we can hope to achieve- a heavy dose of realism is needed by some people .

I do not blame mcleish as it's not his fault his crown jewels were sold but we are now in a group of clubs chasing 7th to 12 places at best and I feel that may be the case for some time to come.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2011, 12:08:11 PM »
Cannot disagree with a single word of the article.

Of course there are plenty who will not like it, because :-
1) The truth hurts. You can only have success with money, and we do not have enough of it.
2) The article is by Lawrenson. So whatever he says you will disagree with.
3) The article is not critical of Mcleish. Lets face it, if any other manager had come in had  the identical set of results and performances they would not have received the same level of criticism.   

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2011, 03:07:45 PM »
The problem is not so much being a so-called selling club, it's about how you use the money when you are more or less obliged to sell.  Spurs lost Carrick, Berbatov and  Defoe a few seasons ago but they reinvested the money in quality, supplemented it with some additional spending,  and ended up a better team who did get in the top 4.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2011, 04:16:41 PM »
I hate the expression "selling club" it's a load of bollox and I will explain why.........
Every club will sell players at various stages of their careers. Even the likes of Manure (Beckham & Ronaldo) do it.
The clubs at the top end of the league will cherry pick and raid upcoming teams that may threaten their position at the top end of the league (ie Man Citeh buying Barry & Milner and Manure buying Ash Young). Having lost those players from the squad weakened us greatly and saw off any chance we had of challenging at the top.
Unless you can offer huge wages and the chance of challenging regularly for silverware you will always fail to hold onto players in the end.
This applies to every club in the premier league.
The top few could see we were on the verge of upsetting the status quo so ripped the heart out of our team.
I feel it will be a while before we have a similar opportunity to challenge at the top end unfortunately.

Offline Iago

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2011, 05:21:40 PM »
Cannot disagree with a single word of the article.

Of course there are plenty who will not like it, because :-
1) The truth hurts. You can only have success with money, and we do not have enough of it.
2) The article is by Lawrenson. So whatever he says you will disagree with.
3) The article is not critical of Mcleish. Lets face it, if any other manager had come in had  the identical set of results and performances they would not have received the same level of criticism.
Nonsense.
1. - "The truth hurts" What does that even mean? The only hurting truth is the negative style of football we are playing. You have missed the point, it is not all about money on the pitch.

2. - The article is flawed, and the generic rubbish is spouted about "money". How is setting up a team effected by finances? We have players who are capable of being positive with the ball, but the manager's style is opposed to that idea.

3. -  I beg to differ. If we played in a dull fashion it would be criticised, and it has been in the past under different managers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal