collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:06:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stan Collymore  (Read 21016 times)

Offline gaucho1966

Re: Stan Collymore
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2011, 09:48:18 PM »
I'm quite prepared to agree that he was unable to function in a Villa shirt due to depression,  but to have the brass neck to make out that he's our  greatest fan when in effect he never gave a monkeys is taking the biscuit.

What are you on about?  Why would you give a fuck how much of a 'fan' he is?  This thread is about a horrible, horrible illness.  Some people on here have bared their souls a bit so show some respect for that.  Post your vitriol somewhere else eh?[/quote]

I actually do give a fuck whether SVC claims to be a Villa fan or not. He certainly did not give that impression that he was when he was giving it large in front of the Holte for Liverpool, or when he was strolling about the pitch at VP not generally giving a fuck. This thread is also not about your depression but about SVC and his. Since he has chosen to put this in the public domain, I think I am entitled to offer my opinion. As for you, if you had some dignity, you would not pour your heart out on a public forum and then expect no one to offer any opinion that suggested an alternative view on the subject in question.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 09:59:36 PM by gaucho1966 »

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2011, 09:52:19 PM »
Bollocks to SVC. He is making a career of being a professional Villa fan, when in reality he stiffed us royally without even a kiss my arse. Churchill won the war with crippling depression, SVC couldn't even put shift in on £40,000 odd a week.

There's always one, or in our case, two.

I'm quite prepared to agree that he was unable to function in a Villa shirt due to depression,  but to have the brass neck to make out that he's our  greatest fan when in effect he never gave a monkeys is taking the biscuit.

What would be in it for anyone to pretend to be a Villa fan (David Cameron excepted - some misfortune to to balance all that undeserved privilege)?

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »

What are you on about?  Why would you give a fuck how much of a 'fan' he is?  This thread is about a horrible, horrible illness.  Some people on here have bared their souls a bit so show some respect for that.  Post your vitriol somewhere else eh?

I actually do give a fuck whether SVC claims to be a Villa fan or not. He certainly did not give that impression that he was when he was giving it large in front of the Holte for Liverpool, or when he was strolling about the pitch at VP not generally giving a fuck. This thread is also not about your depression but about SVC and his. Since he has chosen to put this in the public domain, I think I am entitled to offer my opinion. As for you, if you had some dignity, you would not pour your heart out on a public forum and then expect no one to offer any opinion that offered an alternative view to the subject in question.

[/quote]

"My Depression"?  "Pour my herat out".  Eh?  I'm not depressed.  Some on here are though and you banging on about "self-respect" is about as welcome as a kick in the nuts.  Get it?  Now, go and cry over your Stan Collymore shirt you big twat.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2011, 09:59:49 PM »
Now, go and cry over your Stan Collymore shirt you big twat.

Now now, we'll have a bit les...ah bollocks, crack on.

Offline gaucho1966

« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2011, 10:02:36 PM »

I think you've said it all. Just because you've been ill it doesn't give you the right to be abusive.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 10:06:17 PM by gaucho1966 »

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2011, 10:06:43 PM »
Gaucho.  I HAVEN'T BEEN ILL.  I have been fortunate enough not to suffer from depression.  Know some people who have though and it's nowt to do with dignity, self respect, pulling yourself together etc etc etc etc. 

You are being abusive and ignorant when bringing 'dignity' into a debate about depression.  OK?

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2011, 10:08:18 PM »
I think this thread should be locked, it's just going to turn into a slagging match with maybe a few people getting upset.

Online john2710

« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2011, 10:09:58 PM »
Jus

I think you've said it all. Just because you've been ill it doesn't give you the right to be abusive.

Just like being depressed isn't an excuse for slapping a woman
Being ignorant isn't an excuse for comments like that...

Offline Caiphus

« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2011, 10:13:10 PM »
I wonder just how much sympathy Stan Collymore would receive had he been your average joe with a 9-5 job? With his fame and fortune comes great opportunity and with that tremendous  pressure .I feel sympathy for anyone suffering from depression, it is a terrible illness.Those on the outside looking in can easily say "what's he got to be depressed over" before pointing out all of the things he's been able to do in his life that many of us would love to do.For beating his girlfriend up, wasting a god given talent and generally making downright stupid decisions I can have no sympathy.Yes, these things can be attributed to his illness but that is offering a way out and from personal experience where i've had a mother and a brother in law in deep bouts of depression, excuses aren't what is needed.Would everyone on here be so sympathetic of Collymore had he been lets say Paul Tait for example? I somehow doubt it, but i'd like to think so. Collymore goes down as one of the biggest wastes of talent i've ever seen.The man had the lot as a footballer, though lacked the mental stability to match the talent.For a modern day equivalent i'd point to our very own Stephen Ireland, let's hope he doesn't suffer in the future.

I think Stan realises the mistakes he has made and is now using his profile to raise awareness.  Anyone suffering from depression knows they have to take full responsibility for the decisions they have made... but they also have to accept that the rationale used when making those decisions has been compromised by illness.  Then there is the compounding problem of being aware of your mistake taking responsibility for it and not beating yourself up about it.  Add in the fact that the depression can lead you to put yourself in positions that make other people have the same negative opinion of yourself that you do.

On top of this, most treatments for the condition require discipline and an ability to ignore your symptoms for a period of time so that you can continue the treatment until it takes hold because if you can't ignore them you certainly won't be able to keep up with the regular medication, exercise, going to mental health professionals etc.

Stan Collymore is not a "sea hunt"; the illness is.  Playing out the illness in the public eye is not something I would ever wish on anyone.

I suffer from dysthymia (persistent mild depression that can be mistaken for a personality trait in many people) but I have had bouts of major depressive disorder as well over the last 14 years and it has only been over the last year and a bit that I have started getting my life together, even then I've been very close to throwing it all away on occasions.  Management of the condition is difficult if you don't have people that can take up the burden when things start to get too much.

I can assure you that Stan would be condemning his own behaviour personally 100 times an hour and has , in his own mind, probably elevated every little mistake he has made to the same level as the big ones that you and I have read about in the papers.

"Excuses aren't what is needed."

Excuses are given to absolve oneself of responsibility and I agree,  depression isn't an excuse or even a justification.  It is a contributing factor, though, that in many cases if it didn't exist neither would the behaviour and that is enough reason to take it into consideration.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2011, 10:43:24 PM »
Reading the preceding pages I am surprised how many people on here have suffered from this illness.  I wish you all luck, if that is the right thing you need.  I guess I am completely ignorant about the subject as I thought it was a rare thing.  I'm off to wiki to read up, are there any other sites that anyone recommends?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal