collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Can we have our club back please  (Read 30548 times)

Offline steffo

Re: Can we have our club back please
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2011, 03:03:20 PM »
My 14 year old lad summed Villa up. 'We are the new Stoke'.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 03:04:33 PM »
As we heard so often under Doug, the club is going to cut its cloth accordingly and focus on producing youth talent in the hope that it will bear fruit. Even if it does not, there will always be enough in the bank for an emergency purchase to maintain our Prem status and in addition there will always be  enough fans coming through the gates to ensure we tick over.

Dull as dishwater it may be, devoid of any short term hope it certainly is, but I suspect that its the truth.

Don't post things like this, it makes me want to cry.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 03:08:58 PM »
Results wise, this has been similar to MON's first season (06-07) when we drew loads of games but back then with Randy just in you knew things would get back and we would have a go in the league (which we did).

Indeed. And when folk go on about McLeish being like MON without the money, I think back to that first season of MON in charge and remember the fight and urgency the players showed when under the cosh. He could motivate players, lets not forget that, whereas after going in 2-0 down at half time last night, McLeish sent the players out for the second half with their heads down more than ever. He can't motivate, but we should know this already - he can't turn things around when under pressure - two relegations have shown this.

Offline eastie

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 03:14:05 PM »
After Bent came we looked useful under GH, and there was a clear culture change happening at the club. It is bewildering that McLeish was then appointed by the people so keen for that culture change to happen, as it takes us 10 steps back, and last night showed why. Width offered by Heskey and Hutton who continuously lost the ball, and no central midfield, with defenders that have all failed to perform for us. The manager is a yes man for the board to reduce the wages and do as he is told.

If we are not in the bottom 3 by mid Jan I would be amazed. Totally and utterly depressing, and appears to be completely rudderless from the top.

Sad to say that there is nothing to disagree with in your comments-a truly sad state of affairs and it will only worsen in the coming weeks.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »
I really hope something changes soon we can't play like we did last night again that's for sure.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 04:23:13 PM »
I really hope something changes soon we can't play like we did last night again that's for sure.

I am not a betting man but i would imagine the odds on us being even worse are more favourable than us "clicking" and getting it right

sorry but i just cannot see it - those players do not want to play for him - and i think the negative vibes he sends out is ruining some of our better players.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 04:24:19 PM »
Your son is an optimist - we're not that good.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 04:32:38 PM »
After Bent came we looked useful under GH, and there was a clear culture change happening at the club. It is bewildering that McLeish was then appointed by the people so keen for that culture change to happen, as it takes us 10 steps back, and last night showed why. Width offered by Heskey and Hutton who continuously lost the ball, and no central midfield, with defenders that have all failed to perform for us. The manager is a yes man for the board to reduce the wages and do as he is told.
It would be interesting to speculate what would have happened over the summer if we had kept with the GHou Project.
- in addition to the AY / SD / BF departures, we would also have seen Collins, Warnock, Ireland and Dunne go.
- we'd have welcomed Cabaye and another midfielder in and we may have signed Given / possibly Foster.
- we'd probably have had to sign another CB - don;t know who that might have been.
- Clark would probably have become a mainstay CB by now.
- Albrighton would probably have played himself back into some form, and BB would also be a regular.
- Gabby would be languishing or already-departed.

Net, net, I think we'd have a similar quality of player, perhaps with even more reliance on the youngsters than currently. The big difference would have been the attitude and desire of the players (the togetherness) and a tighter gameplay that allowed for both a strong defence and an attacking style. More football being played rather than hoof n' hope.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 04:36:34 PM »
It would be interesting to speculate what would have happened over the summer if we had kept with the GHou Project.
- in addition to the AY / SD / BF departures, we would also have seen Collins, Warnock, Ireland and Dunne go.
- we'd have welcomed Cabaye and another midfielder in and we may have signed Given / possibly Foster.
- we'd probably have had to sign another CB - don;t know who that might have been.
- Clark would probably have become a mainstay CB by now.
- Albrighton would probably have played himself back into some form, and BB would also be a regular.
- Gabby would be languishing or already-departed.

Net, net, I think we'd have a similar quality of player, perhaps with even more reliance on the youngsters than currently. The big difference would have been the attitude and desire of the players (the togetherness) and a tighter gameplay that allowed for both a strong defence and an attacking style. More football being played rather than hoof n' hope.

Although those changes might have been the intention/desire of Houllier, he's surely have had the same financial restraints AM had to work under?  So given the high wages, some of the departures you mention may not have happened, meaning the incomings would not have either.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 04:42:50 PM »
The thing is, as soon as the owners knew the extent of Houllier's desire to rebuild and how much it would cost them he was never going to be able to stay.

Moving on, one of the great disappointments of this season has been the lack of chances given to our young players, something the club keep on telling us is an important part of their vision. Well aside from Bannan pre-drink driving incident and Herd none of them have been given a shot. Albrighton and Clark have fallen well down the pecking order, Weimann and Delfouneso have barely got a game, Hogg sold off cheaply, Baker loaned out and we're yet to see the supposedly super-talented Gardner play for the first team. It would not be as hurtful if the players getting a game were good but they are not.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 04:49:14 PM »
The thing is, as soon as the owners knew the extent of Houllier's desire to rebuild and how much it would cost them he was never going to be able to stay.

Moving on, one of the great disappointments of this season has been the lack of chances given to our young players, something the club keep on telling us is an important part of their vision. Well aside from Bannan pre-drink driving incident and Herd none of them have been given a shot. Albrighton and Clark have fallen well down the pecking order, Weimann and Delfouneso have barely got a game, Hogg sold off cheaply, Baker loaned out and we're yet to see the supposedly super-talented Gardner play for the first team. It would not be as hurtful if the players getting a game were good but they are not.

excellent point well made - especially the last line - what can we really lose by playing them and letting them express themselves

I would never thought i would say this but i would even accept relegation if it meant a team of

Bannan
Albrighton
Fonz
Clark
Herd
Weinmann
Baker
Gardener
Johnson
Grealish
Lichaj

were given a decent chance - actually the more i think about it i would really love to see that team evn if it was in the chanpionship and allowed to gel

Offline eastie

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 04:50:48 PM »
Rubbish , we are not that good!

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 04:52:24 PM »
Your son is an optimist - we're not that good.

Stoke always demonstrate passion, even if they're horrible to watch and performing badly.

Offline Iago

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2011, 05:00:59 PM »
Maybe we should write to SAF and hope he can send a message to Lerner.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2011, 05:07:09 PM »
I still feel so dejected after last night. The club's in such a bad place and it seems there is no easy way out. We need to arrest the slide and start building again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal