collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Can we have our club back please  (Read 30547 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Can we have our club back please
« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2011, 01:14:29 PM »
I think it's clear that when there's a bit of hope around, crowds go up, when there isn't, they go down.  I dread to think what they'd be in the Championship.

if we were near the top, with a decent manager, larger than they are now would be my guess

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2011, 01:15:58 PM »
I think relegation would not get rid of him - he then would be promoted as being the manager who has won promotion from the championship

We need him to have the balls to realise this job, as well rewarded as it is , is beyond him and to walk away

I also have spokent oa  few clients of ours who are ST holders at Spurs and they have always said that one of the many games they look forward to in recent times as been us at their place. The reasoning has been that both teams were attack minded and it was alway a decent / open game. They always knew they had been in a game even if they had won.

They could not believe the team selection or the way we played either and said it was the worst performance they had seen at WHL by any team for many years - without being too condescending they actually said that they felt for us

Listening to the last few minutes on fivelive,the commentators seemed really shocked at how negative and poor we were.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
There hasn't half been some toss written in this thread!
Worst performance (or even most gutless performance) for 40 years? Not even fucking close!

"I'd accept relegation to get rid of McLeish"? Get a fucking grip on yourself.

"We're doomed, the whole club is shit" - No we're not and no it isn't, we're in a bit of a slump which many, many clubs go through, made to look worse by the optimism garnered at the start of the Lerner era.

"Sleepwalking into oblivion" - Larf *faceplam* as Greggers would say, we won't go down, and I'm sure the board are as aware of the problems we have as all us internet warriors are.  They were last January when things looked even more grim, cue Darren Bent.

And as for the question in the title thread, well a lot of you had a stake in your club up until the time you all fell over yourself to give Randy your shares!

Get a grip and get back to supporting your club, that is all.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2011, 02:49:01 PM »

And as for the question in the title thread, well a lot of you had a stake in your club up until the time you all fell over yourself to give Randy your shares!

Or to be more precise "legally obliged to sell the shares whether they wanted to or not".

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2011, 03:09:02 PM »

Or to be more precise "legally obliged to sell the shares whether they wanted to or not".

Yep, I never wanted to sell my one measly share.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »

I'm more talking about the many posters on more than one internet forum whowere urging us to sell, sell, sell just in case he walked away.
One poster, hwo hsall remaon nameless, actually called me a non-Villa supporting ****** because I said I was keeping mine.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2011, 03:18:09 PM »
I'd put it down to paranoia we'd be stuck with Ellis and sink into Oblivion. They were strange times indeed.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2011, 03:27:14 PM »
Brian, you mean near "third of a season".

Of course it's a bandwagon, some were not prepared to give him even 5 minutes while others on this very thread have said things like "final straw" etc. We've had 12 league games.

I thought at the start of the season that we were in transition. We lost our two best players and the manager was working largely with another man's squad. If you accept that fact that it becomes much easier to deal with ups and downs.

The signs were good after Norwich and Sunderland in both we played good football and posed a real goal threat. Unfortunately for the romantics those are the important games to us at the moment, we're just not on the same page as Spurs or Man City.

Chris, I can accept we are not on the same page as them, but I do expect to put up a fight when we play those teams. Monday night AMc had accepted a loss before the match had started. It's not the fact we had lost, it was how we lost - gutless. We didn't show at any point we wanted to win or had the belief.

Ditto that. If he really has no intention of going out to win these games, rotate the squad and trial new tactics.

It is also interesting to note, when reading threads on national newspaper websites, the amount of sympathy there is for AV fans at the moment. That's not really a good sign at all. It's the kind of sentiment you see when a colleague is dismissed who you don't like, but have to feel sorry for them.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2011, 04:49:13 PM »
Worst performance (or even most gutless performance) for 40 years? Not even fucking close!

It was no worse than Man City (twice) last season and Liverpool, that is true.

However, I've got to say I'm dreading the visit of Randy and Alex Mcleish's 'hero' with his Newton Heath team in a few weeks.  If we rolled over to Spurs and Man City so easily are we going to put up any kind of fight against Manure?

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2011, 12:04:02 AM »
if its the united from last night who shows up we will put on a snorefest, i was at old trafford last night looking forward to a good free flowing game and it was shit, admittedly i was happy about that as i went supporting benfica, but it was truly tragic david de gua is enklemann in disguise

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2011, 02:32:32 AM »
It doesn't seem so long ago that the press loved coming to B6 and even Capello said the future of England lay with the Villa players we had, what a difference 18 months make.

I live in Canada and I am coming home next week for a fortnight and for the first time ever when coming home I am not bothered about going to watch the Villa under AM, I will love being home and will go to the shop but that is all really!

Offline django

« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2011, 09:56:35 AM »
One of the main reasons that i thought McLeish was such a strange appointment was that his poor CV and (to a far lesser extent) Blues connection would put him under extreme pressure from the beginning and wouldn't allow him any time to fail.

Then the fixture list was drawn up and i could see some rays of hope that he might be able to show enough of what he could do before we had a run of tough games, giving him some time in the bank. The problem is that our early season form has been woeful. The brief highlights being the game against Norwich and the second half against QPR (following one of the worst halves of football i've ever seen from us)

Last season we flirted dangerously with relegation before our change of fortunes in the last few games gave our final league position a sheen of respectability. We have lost some of our only genuine quality from that team and are now set for a run of tough fixtures in a league where there are only a couple of games where i would honestly expect us to win.

Whoever took on the job in the summer would have had a tough job rebuilding the team and their confidence with little budget but the board made it a lot harder by choosing McLeish.

I can't see the board getting rid of him but i can see the atmosphere becoming pretty ugly down at Villa Park. If i was Randy Lerner i would be extremely concerned by the number of long time season ticket holders who are talking about giving it up. Once that sense of duty people feel to their team has been broken it won't be easy to replace them.

What could be done to turn the atmosphere around? Get the kids in the team. Trouble is the time to do that would have been from the start, can't see it happening if we slide down the table.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2011, 05:23:27 PM »
I think relegation would not get rid of him - he then would be promoted as being the manager who has won promotion from the championship

We need him to have the balls to realise this job, as well rewarded as it is , is beyond him and to walk away

I also have spokent oa  few clients of ours who are ST holders at Spurs and they have always said that one of the many games they look forward to in recent times as been us at their place. The reasoning has been that both teams were attack minded and it was alway a decent / open game. They always knew they had been in a game even if they had won.

They could not believe the team selection or the way we played either and said it was the worst performance they had seen at WHL by any team for many years - without being too condescending they actually said that they felt for us

That's one of the sad things about the other night, we've had some absolute cracking games at WHL over the years, the 5-2 around 1992, the 4-3 with the last gasp winner from Saunders, I think another 5-2 after being 2 down when Dublin was playing, the Marewood 4-4 under MON. Even last year's defeat was a decent game with both sides having a go.  Monday night was a stark contrast indeed. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal