collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Further de-press-ion  (Read 7801 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Further de-press-ion
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 04:25:20 PM »
Its the what might have been that gets to you as well.

Just look at the players that have played recently for England and see where Villa may have been...

Downing
Young
Milner
Barry
Walker

Bent
Gabby [should have played]

The spine of the team have all played very recently for us, and had we the drive and the ambition we could have kept many of them and been in a much better place

Don't forget..............dare I say it?.............the Bolton Defender!

Offline littlevillain

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 06:40:39 PM »
Its the what might have been that gets to you as well.

Just look at the players that have played recently for England and see where Villa may have been...

Downing
Young
Milner
Barry
Walker

Bent
Gabby [should have played]

The spine of the team have all played very recently for us, and had we the drive and the ambition we could have kept many of them and been in a much better place

Don't forget..............dare I say it?.............the Bolton Defender!

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 09:48:30 PM »
Good article Dave. I thought the PR at the club is headed by MON's mate, Brian Doogan. It's all well and good blaming Faulkner for saying the wrong thing, the letter to season ticket holders comes to mind but it's the PR manager that should understand the letter stinks and will have a negative effect. It's the same with any company, if you allowed the CEO to say whatever he wanted, they'd be in trouble every day. That's why you have PR men, for their understanding of communication.

If you want to see a down turn over the last couple of years in the club's PR, look to the departure of Phil Mepham.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 11:12:12 PM »
One of your best articles Dave.

The more I think about it, the more I question Faulkner. Maybe he needs to be the fall guy. If he went and somebody really good came in, we'd at least start from a new base. We need a new narrative. The old one has run its course .

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 11:20:49 PM »
I questioned the appointment of PF from day one.
There are a few on here changing their minds now.
It seems to me it's Randys biggest problem here and in the US.
He picks the wrong person.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 10:51:50 AM »
Good article there Dave. I'm still amazed by the Ferguson thing, though. Ferguson has always backed his former players and those he just gets on with to do well as managers. In that, I suppose he's a nice guy, as is McLeish, but he's also backed Bryan Robson repeatedly, Roy Keane and Steve Bruce among others, so maybe trusting his advice on people he likes isn't the best. However, like you say, it looks like he's desperate for Fergie's approval, which just shows such a lack of faith in his own decision making.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 12:08:12 PM »
Good article there Dave. I'm still amazed by the Ferguson thing, though. Ferguson has always backed his former players and those he just gets on with to do well as managers. In that, I suppose he's a nice guy, as is McLeish, but he's also backed Bryan Robson repeatedly, Roy Keane and Steve Bruce among others, so maybe trusting his advice on people he likes isn't the best. However, like you say, it looks like he's desperate for Fergie's approval, which just shows such a lack of faith in his own decision making.

You also have to remember that Ferguson owes everything to McLeish, who was his captain at Aberdeen. Without that success he wouldn't have got anywhere near Old Trafford.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 12:12:50 PM »
A good summary of the state of the club at the moment.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 10:11:33 PM »
Good article Dave. I thought the PR at the club is headed by MON's mate, Brian Doogan. It's all well and good blaming Faulkner for saying the wrong thing, the letter to season ticket holders comes to mind but it's the PR manager that should understand the letter stinks and will have a negative effect. It's the same with any company, if you allowed the CEO to say whatever he wanted, they'd be in trouble every day. That's why you have PR men, for their understanding of communication.

If you want to see a down turn over the last couple of years in the club's PR, look to the departure of Phil Mepham.

I was going to make a point about MON running PR through Doogan as well which I was surprised Dave seemed to miss in the article.

As for Mepham, IIRC, he was also being blamed for PR gaffes from the club at the time, although I suppose it was a harder job with Ellis being as quote happy as Lerner is press shy.

Anyway, no one is seeing the big picture. It all started going downhill when we lost that great man, Abdul Rashid. Get him back and everything will pick up again.

Offline N'Rexy

• GM : Jan, 2012
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 10:29:02 PM »
Do you really believe this Ferguson backing bullsh1t? He isn't going to support anyone with any talent as they might end up competing with him. He backs losers and also rans in the ex player managerial support stakes to protect himself. He soon fell out with Hughes when he started doing well. A reccomendation from Fergie as a managerial appointment is the stamp of the mediocre.

Offline steffo

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 11:41:05 PM »
Maybe the letter Randy has got locked away says Alex should be his successor at Man U when he retires. If so it is written by a senile scrote or quite possibly priceless.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 11:46:09 PM »
A good summary of the state of the club at the moment.

Agreed, a good and more importantly fair article.

Offline gaucho1966

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2011, 09:13:34 PM »
You also have to remember that Ferguson owes everything to McLeish, who was his captain at Aberdeen. Without that success he wouldn't have got anywhere near Old Trafford.

Thanks Dave. That'll make me feel much better when we're 0-4 down at half time in a fortnight.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 02:14:17 PM »
"Something has gone wrong at Villa Park over the past 18 months that has nothing to do with football, and it needs to be sorted out quickly... "

Congratulations to Paul Faulkner on the 18 months and 2 weeks anniversary of his appointment as CEO.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal