collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Habib Beye to Doncaster ?  (Read 12430 times)

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
Re: Habib Beye to Doncaster ?
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2011, 01:32:21 PM »
Please god tell me his contract is up at the end of the season?

Indeed it is Initial signing. Light at the end of the tunnel.

Personally I didn't think he was that bad, and certainly better than Hutton, but when 3 successive managers (including MON who bought him) don't play him he must be doing something catastrophic in training
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 01:33:52 PM by CJ »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 02:18:26 PM »
The big problem with Beye was giving a 31 year old a 3 year contract, madness. Same with Heskey, we signed him at 31 and gave him a 3 and a half year deal! If we'd given both 2 year deals, we could've got shot of them in the summer.

That and MON still deciding to play Carlos as an RB when we also had L.Young at the club!

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 03:00:40 PM »
It could so easily have been Liverpool lumbered with Heskey and Beye with Hull instead of us.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 03:03:42 PM »
The big problem with Beye was giving a 31 year old a 3 year contract, madness. Same with Heskey, we signed him at 31 and gave him a 3 and a half year deal! If we'd given both 2 year deals, we could've got shot of them in the summer.

That and MON still deciding to play Carlos as an RB when we also had L.Young at the club!

Problem with that is no 31 year old player is going to take a two year deal.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 03:05:42 PM »

I think most 31 year old players won't get offered more than a two year deal, and unless it's an exceptional player (or a keeper), most teams who want to compete and understand the notion of money being finite wouldn't be so stupid as to offer such a staggeringly average player such a good deal.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 03:09:20 PM »
isn't it Wenger policy that players over 30 will only get offered one year deals?

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 03:09:21 PM »

I think most 31 year old players won't get offered more than a two year deal, and unless it's an exceptional player (or a keeper), most teams who want to compete and understand the notion of money being finite wouldn't be so stupid as to offer such a staggeringly average player such a good deal.

I don't defend the ability of the player or the decision to sign him, just that no 31 year old under an existing PL contract is going to move for only a two year deal.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 03:14:19 PM »
Really? Bolton under Big Sam were giving loads of foreign 30 years olds 1 or 2 year deals.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 03:16:35 PM »
Just checked. When Owen moved to Manure in 2009 (the year of us signing Heskey and Beye) he was given a 2 year deal which was extended by a year this summer. At the time he wasn't even 30.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 03:20:24 PM »
Big Sam signed bosmans for Bolton, who would take what they could get, and his injury record was why Owen could only get 2 years.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 03:38:05 PM »

Can't see it doing Doncaster any good in the long term.

They're just trying to do all the can to survive in the Championship this season. "Long term" can wait.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 04:58:36 PM »

I don't defend the ability of the player or the decision to sign him, just that no 31 year old under an existing PL contract is going to move for only a two year deal.

Well in that case, don't buy 31 year olds who still have contract time left, then.

Beye joined us when he had less than a year of his Newcastle deal left, and was less than two months off turning 32 years old.

I bet he couldn't believe his luck when he got offered 40k till the age of almost 35.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 06:58:02 PM »
Got another one, Gallas moved to Spurs last summer and pretty sure they only gave him a 1 year deal which they extended once he started playing for them.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2011, 08:51:50 PM »
Personally I didn't think he was that bad, and certainly better than Hutton, but when 3 successive managers (including MON who bought him) don't play him he must be doing something catastrophic in training

..or more likely, doing nothing in training.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2011, 10:08:48 PM »
He was actually a very good player at Newcastle but at 31 he should never have been signed on a 3 year deal. I thought he came in and played well in a few games last year, Sunderland away for one, but then Luke Young came back from injury and he got his place back. Again if we had a CEO who had the first clue about football, Beye would never have been signed on that money. A panic signing by MON with Luke Young ruled out but after a few games he picked Cuellar again anyway. Was similar with Shorey bought straight after Bouma got injured and out of favour 6 matches later.

Must be up there for the worst MON signing.

Shorey
Sidwell
Harewood
Heskey
Warnock
Maloney

There must be a few more that I cant or wont recall.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal