collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The pressure on referees  (Read 4633 times)

Offline taylorsworkrate

Re: The pressure on referees
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 10:15:56 AM »
Hope the guy has a speedy recovery.

In terms of pressure/abuse to refs, I think we have to distinguish between mistakes and bottling a decision.  Herd's red card against WBA was a mistake, but Vidic not getting one at Wembley was bottling it.  I can easily forgive the former, but not the latter.   

Take your point, but even in that instance a referee is still a human being.  I'm sure we've all bottled important decisions in our work and private lives.  I know I have and will inevitably do so again.

Football is only a game when all is said and done.  No referee goes out with the intention of making a mistake or bottling a decision and perhaps we all need to remember that.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: The pressure on referees
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 10:50:13 AM »
Hope the guy has a speedy recovery.

In terms of pressure/abuse to refs, I think we have to distinguish between mistakes and bottling a decision.  Herd's red card against WBA was a mistake, but Vidic not getting one at Wembley was bottling it.  I can easily forgive the former, but not the latter.   

Take your point, but even in that instance a referee is still a human being.  I'm sure we've all bottled important decisions in our work and private lives.  I know I have and will inevitably do so again.

Football is only a game when all is said and done.  No referee goes out with the intention of making a mistake or bottling a decision and perhaps we all need to remember that.

Yes, I take the 'only human argument', but their job is to be impartial and judge the decision taking away what shirt either player is wearing.  The influence an pressure the likes of SAF place on them is totally unfair, yet should that result in them 'bottling it' or similar, then the question of their ability at the job does come into question.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal