collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by mrfuse
[Today at 11:16:17 AM]

NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:14:52 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AV84
[Today at 11:13:21 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by coreyfeldman
[Today at 11:10:40 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 10:32:50 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by AV84
[Today at 10:31:25 AM]

Championship Memories by Mellin
[Today at 10:14:25 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:42:20 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir Graham - yet more dignity  (Read 23938 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Sir Graham - yet more dignity
« on: November 16, 2011, 12:53:40 PM »
http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/8006/38/

6 November ~ Shortly before Laurence Bassini acquired Watford FC in March it was revealed he had been declared bankrupt in 2007 and had been closely involved in several failed businesses. Unfortunately for Watford fans, a list of his positive achievements proved much harder to find. These revelations begged the obvious question: Why did this man buy Watford, and how was he going to invest in the club’s future? Bassini was expected to shed some long-awaited light on his plans at the annual fans’ forum last week but, shortly before it was due to start, fans were informed he had withdrawn due to ill health.

Many of those who did attend were bitterly disappointed, none more so than Watford’s chairman, Graham Taylor. Responding to an early question on Bassini’s absence, Taylor expressed his own frustration and chose to address the owner directly, saying: "This was a great opportunity for you, Laurence, to sit and answer questions which Watford supporters are very keen to have the answers to."

His outburst sparked a boardroom crisis at Watford, with Taylor now unlikely to continue as chair. Even more worrying, Bassini threatened to withhold £1 million in funds required to ensure Watford can pay its bills unless Taylor apologised. He has since withdrawn that threat but such a spiteful action has hardly endeared him to fans already concerned at his motives for buying the club.

From a PR perspective, Taylor is the one person Bassini should want to keep onside. That is not to say Taylor is infallible; it was unwise to imply Bassini might have been feigning illness. But, given his history and long-term commitment to the club, Watford fans will rightly take his concerns very seriously, and the boardroom row should not distract from the bigger issue.

On the rare occasions fans have heard from Bassini he has talked a good game. He plans to reopen the Red Lion pub outside the ground, re-lay the awful pitch at Vicarage Road, complete the south-west corner of the ground (currently a half-finished office block) and build a new East Stand. It all sounds great, but Watford is a football club that often operates at a loss (excluding revenue from player sales) so how will he finance these plans, as well as investment in the playing squad?

The Watford fansite From the Rookery End is pursuing a campaign to get some answers and has set five questions for Bassini. They are not asking for minute detail but for a basic explanation of Bassini’s motives and his vision for the club – the kind of long-term plan any person buying a business should be able to articulate, providing they have one. Michael Moruzzi @regista_blog
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:09:18 PM by Legion »

Offline Mazrim

Re: Sr Graham - yet more dignity
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 01:03:18 PM »
Sir Graham should have been on our board. Should be on our board. Forever.
If I was in Randy's shoes, knowing Villa needed football men in decision making and advisory positions, I'd have appointed both Taylor and Ron Atkinson to the board.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 01:14:13 PM »
If I was in Randy's shoes, knowing Villa needed football men in decision making and advisory positions, I'd have appointed both Taylor and Ron Atkinson to the board.

The GT bit seems a no brainer to me, especially if he steps down as chairman of watford.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 01:25:10 PM »
Another vote for Taylor on the board at Villa from me.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 01:29:03 PM »
And from me. Had it not been for GT Villa would have done a Wolves between 1987-1990, IMO.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 01:39:30 PM »
Mixed feelings about that idea if I'm honest.

On the one hand- as Chris points out- we could have sunk without trace but for his intervention in 1987.   

It seems odd to think about it now, but he was practically taking a backward step in joining us at the time.  His stock was high, he was the next big thing (touted for the Man U job before Siralex) and joining us in the Second Division was most definitely a gamble. For him, rather than us.

He should always be welcome back to the club- for that first stint alone.  But it's hard to shake the reality that he does still have somewhat of a credibility issue in the wider game,  owing to his time with England and that ill advised C4 documentary. The less said about his second stint with us the better too.

The clincher for me though is he was one of the wise men the Board approached post MON walkout. And he recommended GH. 

I'd have to say it's a no for me, much as I like the bloke. 

Offline Fred

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 01:58:20 PM »
A football man on the board would be a good idea and Sir Graham has a lot of respect in the game. I would love to see him at the club. His second stint was not great but there were a lot of things going on in the background at the time with the previous chairman and the lack of funds etc. It would be a possitive move for me.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 02:18:21 PM »

BFR in charge of engagement with the local community? Sorry, the bloke has no credibility now and it would be a PR disaster to appoint him. Sir Graham on the other hand would be great.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 02:22:54 PM »
Sir Graham all the time, Atkinson, no chance.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 02:26:39 PM »
I'd have SGT and Steve Stride back. Unrivalled experience and know-how on tap with those two.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 02:55:21 PM »
I'd love to see SGT back, a true Prince among men. It could rub McLeish up the wrong way having a well regarded ex Villa manager overseeing him, so all in all its a big thumbs up from me.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 03:12:39 PM »
I'd love to see SGT back, a true Prince among men. It could rub McLeish up the wrong way having a well regarded ex Villa manager overseeing him, so all in all its a big thumbs up from me.

And how would our present manager being 'rubbed up the wrong way' benefit the club?

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 03:13:24 PM »

BFR in charge of engagement with the local community? Sorry, the bloke has no credibility now and it would be a PR disaster to appoint him. Sir Graham on the other hand would be great.

I still love him despite his faux pas. He knows football inside out and that's all I care about really.
Not that I think it would ever happen anyway.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 03:33:20 PM »
What a boost it would give the club to have Graham Taylor on the board. I think he would get on well with AM.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 05:05:01 PM »
Not for me. 

His 2nd stint was nothing short of a disaster and again he reccomended GH.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal