collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mr. Lerner: Aston Villa and/or the Cleveland Browns?  (Read 16981 times)

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
Re: Mr. Lerner: Aston Villa and/or the Cleveland Browns?
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 06:33:17 PM »
I think we should tap up Nigel Kennedy for his vast violin millions.

I don't reckon Nige has the necessary wealth, unless, of course, he's been on the fiddle...

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 06:47:04 PM »
Blimey Compass. It is one unremitting horror after the next with you. I would have got shite odds on you complaining on this thread about Small Heath.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
He might be able to pull a few strings, at least.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2011, 07:28:09 PM »
Nonsense as usual, Compass. You take half baked opinions and a one-eyed prejudicial view and try to present it as fact

Everyone was happy with Randy when he was breaking our transfer record 10 months ago now suddenly he's a complete buffoon and everything that went before is ignored.

Everybody was happy that we'd bought Darren Bent.  I don't think that's the same thing as "everyone was happy with Randy".

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2011, 07:43:15 PM »
I think that's splitting hairs to an extent, Risso. There was precious little criticism last January. All it would take is a similar signing this time for much of it to evaporate again. Not that I think that's likely to happen but that's what I mean by the short term nature of it.

I accept that your own criticisms are more deep rooted but people like the self important writer of the blog that prompted this thread just jump on any bandwagon that will have them.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2011, 08:20:40 PM »
I think that's splitting hairs to an extent, Risso. There was precious little criticism last January. All it would take is a similar signing this time for much of it to evaporate again. Not that I think that's likely to happen but that's what I mean by the short term nature of it.

I accept that your own criticisms are more deep rooted but people like the self important writer of the blog that prompted this thread just jump on any bandwagon that will have them.
What about what was going on up until January ?
We were in the shite, and Lerners stock was pretty low then.
What he actually did then was make probably the best 'business' decision he has made since being at the club because he made the Bent purchase purely to protect our premiership status.
At the time someone summed it up perfectly, Lerner was protecting his Villa investment, not his investment in Houllier.
Job done, he has tightened the purse strings tighter than ever.
Personally, I don't think we'll ever see an investment of that magnitude again.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2011, 08:31:03 PM »
I think when we get rid of Heskey and Bebe and co and his shares recovered and he will do another big splashing out spree with more sensible wages. But would you trust Alex to deliver ?

He have to decide which team and sell when he have a suitable buyer to continue his goodwork and put in big money and don't sell to any chancers.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2011, 08:48:51 PM »
When MON left I remember 20,000 fans singing "one Randy Lerner etc" against West Ham.  That, considering how popular a manager O'Neill was, was pretty amazing. How many other owners of football clubs can say they have ever been so outwardly loved? 

I find it staggering that in the space of 18 months so many of us are so anti-Lerner.  Where has all that good will gone? 

There is an obvious sucking in of the belly on planet Lerner.  Not sure he can oversee any real significant strides forward as is the state of the modern game as it is, without encouraging massive investment from elsewhere and therefore selling at least some of the club, but let's not forget all the ace stuff he's done.  To throw our toys out of the pram because he just aint rich enough anymore leaves us open to use of the f-word and, frankly, it would be deserved on some.

The only thing I could really criticise him for would be a lack of attendance so far this season, but he's not the only one is he?

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2011, 09:00:30 PM »
I think when we get rid of Heskey and Bebe and co and his shares recovered and he will do another big splashing out spree with more sensible wages. But would you trust Alex to deliver ?

It's a good question and got me thinking.  Is the Nzogbia fee the most he has ever spent?
Looking back at his previous jobs he has never had oodles of money and has largely bought cheap players with a point to prove or Bosmans.  The loan signings of Zarate, Dann and Johnson provide hope but generally he appears to have always shopped in the bargain bin.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »
Andyh you're inadvertently supporting my point. Results good under MON so Randy s great, then we are a dip so he's crap, sign Bent and he's great again, appoint McLeish and he's rubbish. In the end it's mostly about money - if he sounds more of it people will love him.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2011, 10:50:46 PM »
When MON left I remember 20,000 fans singing "one Randy Lerner etc" against West Ham.  That, considering how popular a manager O'Neill was, was pretty amazing. How many other owners of football clubs can say they have ever been so outwardly loved? 

I find it staggering that in the space of 18 months so many of us are so anti-Lerner.  Where has all that good will gone? 

There is an obvious sucking in of the belly on planet Lerner.  Not sure he can oversee any real significant strides forward as is the state of the modern game as it is, without encouraging massive investment from elsewhere and therefore selling at least some of the club, but let's not forget all the ace stuff he's done.  To throw our toys out of the pram because he just aint rich enough anymore leaves us open to use of the f-word and, frankly, it would be deserved on some.

The only thing I could really criticise him for would be a lack of attendance so far this season, but he's not the only one is he?

Well said mate

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2011, 11:22:33 PM »
Everybody was happy that we'd bought Darren Bent.  I don't think that's the same thing as "everyone was happy with Randy".
I think rather than being unhappy with Randy this time last year, people were thinking something along the lines of "O'Neill's dropped us in the shit."

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2011, 11:39:41 PM »

But everybody WAS happy with Randy.  Go back to the time Bent signed and the general concensus was "how could we have doubted Randy, the bloke's a diamond".

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2011, 12:14:33 AM »
well obviously any sane person would jettison the "rugby for wimps with padding" sport and its attendant zero world wide profile, and concentrate on the sport the rest of the world plays with its tradition and generally global media coverage but maybe he likes it more than "soccer"... Let's be honest, some people like crown green bowling or polo and you could make a convincing case that both are far more exciting than that yank crap. i quite like the idea of asking him to choose - in the mail today they claim lerner is looking for a buyer if he can get his money back - we can only hope there's an arab still looking........

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2011, 08:37:09 AM »

excellent post mate

In the real world the club is our passion and our hobby for want of a better term

In his world crushing stock market losses, expensive divorce, ridiculous wages for MONs cronies and i would imagine lots of heat for the Browns performances all add up to a really tough time

And we have fans telling him to fucking do one now he has tightened his belt - un believable at times and makes us sound like ungrateful children

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal