collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mr. Lerner: Aston Villa and/or the Cleveland Browns?  (Read 16964 times)

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Mr. Lerner: Aston Villa and/or the Cleveland Browns?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 12:47:35 PM »
At the moment though Randy has to make the crucial decision of his sports management because keeping the two clubs is not a sustainable option any more.

Why does he have to make this crucial decision, because Robo says so?   Gotcha.

And of course it's as easy as simply requesting 'corrupt but oil cash rich Arabs' to buy the club too.  Which is why every other top flight side in England has them.

Offline CBAV06

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 02:12:26 PM »
From a Blog post by IanRobo here. Should Randy choose one or the other? Discuss.

After watching the mess that is the Browns yesterday and reading their message boards, it is clear that the problems over in the States for Lerner are far bigger than at Villa.

Quite a few of us bloggers are skirting around the issue at Villa but there is a simple truth to this. No one man, no matter how rich can support two ailing clubs. At the Browns he employed in Holmgren a top class NFL coach and it has been a disaster this season. The reaction to the defeat yesterday to a team who had only one one game previously was telling, there are strong calls for Randy to sell the Browns.

Well at Villa we know the situation, an unpopular manager, cash taps turned off and some people asking if we should get corrupt but oil cash rich Arabs as owners. At the moment though Randy has to make the crucial decision of his sports management because keeping the two clubs is not a sustainable option any more. As we know his fortune came from his Dad selling of MBNA to the Bank of America. I have mentioned before just how badly the shares have done in the last 4 years, this has really hurt the Lerner family fortune.

Many things Lerner has done for us and the Browns has been very good. Over there despite the Browns being perennial losers the marketing and commercial income has been very good but now you are seeing empty seats, something unheard of. Over here he has done very well in many areas, fans relations, training ground, ground infrastructure, money for players BUT this has all stopped. For our sakes as a club he has to decide which one he should concentrate 100% of his efforts and attention towards, half measures will not be acceptable.

When we have these unwelcome breaks attention does move to other areas, blogs have given people different things to think about but the most crucial is what Randy is thinking and wants to do.
From a Blog post by IanRobo here. Should Randy choose one or the other? Discuss.

After watching the mess that is the Browns yesterday and reading their message boards, it is clear that the problems over in the States for Lerner are far bigger than at Villa.

Quite a few of us bloggers are skirting around the issue at Villa but there is a simple truth to this. No one man, no matter how rich can support two ailing clubs. At the Browns he employed in Holmgren a top class NFL coach and it has been a disaster this season. The reaction to the defeat yesterday to a team who had only one one game previously was telling, there are strong calls for Randy to sell the Browns.

Well at Villa we know the situation, an unpopular manager, cash taps turned off and some people asking if we should get corrupt but oil cash rich Arabs as owners. At the moment though Randy has to make the crucial decision of his sports management because keeping the two clubs is not a sustainable option any more. As we know his fortune came from his Dad selling of MBNA to the Bank of America. I have mentioned before just how badly the shares have done in the last 4 years, this has really hurt the Lerner family fortune.

Many things Lerner has done for us and the Browns has been very good. Over there despite the Browns being perennial losers the marketing and commercial income has been very good but now you are seeing empty seats, something unheard of. Over here he has done very well in many areas, fans relations, training ground, ground infrastructure, money for players BUT this has all stopped. For our sakes as a club he has to decide which one he should concentrate 100% of his efforts and attention towards, half measures will not be acceptable.

When we have these unwelcome breaks attention does move to other areas, blogs have given people different things to think about but the most crucial is what Randy is thinking and wants to do.

The article establishes facts from assumptions, which sadly has become very popular in the media in the US. I understand this is a blog and an opinion. but I wanted to draw the parallel so people keep it in their heads.

First we are told that Lerner cannot afford to own both teams. So let's look at that from the Browns viewpoints, as everyone here is probably more familiar than I with the Villa viewpoints.

Browns fans have always been a loyal lot as far as home games go. The new stadium is smaller than the old, but still holds just over 73,200 people. Even at 3-6 so far the Browns are averaging attendance of 66,292 each game (18th out of 32 teams). That is 331,462 fans over 5 games.

I do not know how much the Browns make in merchandising, Cleveland has a huge fan base as far as merchandising and backers go. The team also gets broadcast percentages from the NFL, however with the new items hashed out to get this season started I have no idea what these amount to now.

Keep in mind the most vocal are not necessarily the most informed. :)

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 02:17:37 PM »
Who is Ian Robo other than a Villa fan?

He's a big fan of the band Teh Teh.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 02:18:05 PM »
Cleveland average attendances down 6,000 from a few years ago. Where have I heard that before? *winky*

Offline CBAV06

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 02:25:08 PM »
Cleveland average attendances down 6,000 from a few years ago. Where have I heard that before? *winky*

In the NFL, for those that don't know, your game can be shown locally on television if you sell out your tickets. Cleveland has been pretty good about selling them out for as long as I can remember, and I think 66k still counts as a sell out but don't quote me on that! lol

Offline CBAV06

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »
For what it's worth I do see parallels between the Villa fanbase and the Browns fanbase. It gets spooky sometimes :D

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 02:32:11 PM »
I got my figures from here, have no idea how accurate they are as what I know about the NFL you could fit on the back of a stamp.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance

It lists this season average as 66K and 90% of capacity. 2008 average 72,778, 99.4%.

It also seems to list Dallas as regularly averaging over 100% of capacity, which is impressive, if a tad dangerous.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 04:30:27 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »
What it books down to in all of these discussions is people finding new ways to say "spend more of your money on us, Randy".

If you want to be that simplistic I'd say "run us better Randy".

Offline Risso

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 03:53:11 PM »
Are there? Why Blackburn and why are the Chicken wranglers looking to get rid already?

Apparently so.

Nothing concrete, but I've heard it from a few different people.

Offline CBAV06

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 05:10:37 PM »
What it books down to in all of these discussions is people finding new ways to say "spend more of your money on us, Randy".

LOL If they need more specifics it is hire the 'best coach', get the 'best players' and 'win games'. Come on it is simple!!

Offline Risso

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »

LOL If they need more specifics it is hire the 'best coach', get the 'best players' and 'win games'. Come on it is simple!!

"Put somebody in charge who's got more of a clue than Paul Faulkner".

Offline Ryu

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 05:42:17 PM »
Ok, stupid question time but when did Paul Faulkner become the source of all our problems?  I seriously missed the meeting.  I know there is a lot of negativity amongst some fans at the minute but what decisions has our chief executive made that means he gets so much of the blame?  And what should he have done/be doing? 

Offline Compass

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »

Yeah, just ignore the fact he hired one of the most controversy managers that has caused low attendances and bad atmosphere. A manager who is limited in the transfer market and has an extremely poor record in the Premier League causing a bleak future. Randy Lerner himself selling our best players ASAP (unlike Levy who hold out Modric for 40m, Randy would have sold him for probably half), caused the club to lose loads of money due to rubbish decisions (again could learn a thing or two from Levy who isn't mega rich, but still knows how to take Spurs forward the smart way), hires people who don't know a thing about football (as evident in the laughable mickey mouse manager search) and paid extra money on a manager no fans wanted as opposed to a better manager who would have been available on the free who would be more accepted by the fans.

But in your black and white view you think the fans who have legitmate concerns about Randy Lerner want a mega rich owner. Not really, just a owner who knows what they're doing.

Offline petegoldring

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 06:25:31 PM »
I can't see him selling the Browns... it would seem like an insult to his dad who was instrumental in bringing the NFL back to Cleveland after they sold out to become the Baltimore Ravens.

I don't want him to sell the Villa unless someone better is lurking on the horizon. Don't really want Ray Ranson or that QC bloke much. I'm struggling to think of any billionaire Villa fans (who actually care) and if we are looking to attract someone who has no previous affinity with the club in the hope of persuading him to spend billions... so are most of the teams in World football.

I think we should tap up Nigel Kennedy for his vast violin millions.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »
Nonsense as usual, Compass. You take half baked opinions and a one-eyed prejudicial view and try to present it as fact

Everyone was happy with Randy when he was breaking our transfer record 10 months ago now suddenly he's a complete buffoon and everything that went before is ignored.

Of course not everything they do is perfect but some of you take such a short term view.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal