collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:54:17 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:51:38 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:50:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 10:47:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Magical Villa Park  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Magical Villa Park
« on: November 14, 2011, 10:39:24 AM »
Argus Filch

Actor David Bradley has encountered the magic of Hogwarts in all eight Harry Potter movies - but he says there's still nothing that makes him tingle quite like Villa Park.

Bradley played caretaker Argus Filch in every single movie in the blockbuster franchise and got to sample the iconic and gigantic Great Hall every day in filming.

He says that was always a thrill - just as sampling the awesome atmosphere of his favourite football ground.

He told AVTV: "I love Villa Park. It's majestic. I love it especially during night matches. The grass is greener and the shirts look more claret.

"Everything is highlighted under the floodlights and it just feels like pure theatre.

"You never know the end either - so it's always a thriller!

"I am just always aware of the theatrical nature of this stadium - it has that history behind it and you always get that tingle when you come here.

"There's always that sense of anticipation.

"In terms of the awesomeness of the venue, that tingle I get going into the Great Hall on the Harry Potter set, I certainly get it coming to Villa Park too."

Bradley, who also appeared in Hot Fuzz, Captain America and many plays for the world-famous Royal Shakespeare Company, also likens the "team spirit" among actors before a performance with the dressing room togetherness for Villa before a big match.

He continued: "I am aware that when they are all working together for the same objective it's very much like actors stepping on stage together.

"You're relying on each other. You can't do it on your own. When you're all working together, that's when everything works at its best. That's certainly something I can relate to."

Bradley, of course, worked with fellow Villa fan Oliver Phelps on all the Harry Potter films - and he says Villa was always a source of conversation - much to the annoyance of Oliver's twin brother James, who supports Blues.

He added: "I saw Oliver and James on the Potter set for 10 years. I would occasionally go in on the Monday and think I was talking to Oliver when in fact I was talking to James.

"I'd say 'what a great result for Villa' and I'd get a stare back and realise it wasn't Oliver at all. He'd say 'I think you've got the wrong man'.

"Even now I can't tell them apart. It's amazing."

Bradley is no "fair weather fan".

His love of Villa goes back many years and he been to Wembley for all the recent cup finals - even sporting a banner saying 'Stratford upon Avon Supporters Club' in 1996 for the win over Leeds.

The 69-year-old is also a close friend - and neighbour - of Dion Dublin.

Watch his exclusive interview now on AVTV.

Watch him discuss:

His friendship with Dion
His favourite Villa goals
Following Villa on location
Missing the Blues derbies
Oliver and James Phelps
Alex McLeish
Youth set-up at Villa

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: Magical Villa Park
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 10:40:32 AM »
He sits a couple of rows in front of me in the Holte End Lower.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 12:01:25 PM »
I had a Millwall supporting mate who came to the Villa with me a few times in the mid to late 90's and we used to park by Barry Jackson tower then walk through Aston park to the ground.

he always used to say that when you walk over the park and then you saw the Old Trinity Road stand it was the best frontage in english football.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:40:45 PM »
Isn't quite the same now, though. Thanks, Doug.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 12:43:01 PM »
and me. He always looks like a tramp.

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 01:12:09 PM »
and me. He always looks like a tramp.

He seems to have a made a decent living playing dishevelled characters over the years.  Sten Roach in Ideal...

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 04:12:51 PM »
There's a few Villa fans in the Harry Potter cast, Brendan Gleeson and his son Domhnall are Villa supporters, too.

David Bradley's summary of Villa Park is spot on.  You just can't beat the tingle you get when you arrive at the place.  I think the combination of the brickwork and the claret and blue colours just give it a special, cathedral-like vibe.  The magic is still there for me - despite Doug's act of vandalism - but, the old Trinity was just something else.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 05:34:50 PM »
Now I've seen a picture of who David Bradley is I'm sure I've seen him too.  I wonder why he's a fan, wikki' states he comes from York. 

We're certainly building up the number of actors who are supporting/following us it appears.  I also noticed that another band out there has incorporated some of our name, Gardens Villa they're called from California.  They were on at the Hare & Hounds Kings Heat the other week.  I haven't got a clue what they're like but reading an article about them in 'What's on it Brum' it appears they made a visit to VP.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 02:00:16 AM »
I have met him a few times and he loves the Villa and talking about them, top man and so is his cat!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal