collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Floating Fans  (Read 8421 times)

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
Re: Floating Fans
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 01:24:11 PM »
A better term would be "fans with a life".

Harsh

A lot of them go when they can, or when they have the money. Not even sure if who we're playing comes into it that much

Agree

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 04:59:13 PM »
I think that 'enticing people back' is a waste of time if we can agree that people like me are classed as floating fans.  It would make zero difference to me if we were in with a shout of winning the league.  Sure, on the occasions I do go, I'd much prefer to be going down to watch exhilarating football and winning more often, but I still wouldn't go to a significantly larger amount of games.  So what's the answer to swelling the gate?  It must be something clubs like Villa are considering with great vigour currently.

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 05:10:38 PM »
sorry but west brom fans should be face down

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 08:39:08 PM »
A better term would be "fans with a life". 

Now I find that offensive! I have a season ticket (3 in fact) and I go to number of away games. I go on holidays and do other things with friends and family at weekend. So  because I go to every home game and follow away when I can  do I have no life?

I didn't mean it in a "get a life" way to be fair. I meant if you're married or have kids its probably very hard to guarantee you can be free every other saturday afternoon let alone when they choose to move the kick-off to another time or day. Unless your family are all mad villa fans you'd probably have to say your pastime is taking precedent over family life. I know when i was going every week it was because i was free to do what i liked every weekend.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 08:43:48 PM by Greg N'Ash »

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 10:11:06 PM »
Yes Greg you are correct on being free to make the choice and my use of word  "offensive" was a bit OTT.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 10:33:38 PM »
I call myself part 'sensible', part 'realistic', part 'old git' and part 'not such a faithful fan as, say, Frank, Pauline and DC5'. I don't give one jot what anyone else wants to call me! I love the Villa, always will and if you asked any of my friends and many people I work with, the first thing that comes into their head when they hear my name mentioned, they will say 'Villa fan' with perhaps the odd expletive attached...

I havent had a permanent job since 2008 even though i havent pretty much stopped working in that time albeit in not amazingly paid jobs.  I did three matches in 09-10 and just the one last season introducing my wife to the pleasures of Villa Park for the first time which she loved. A far cry from having a season ticket in 1991-92 and generally coming up for about 8-9 matches a season since i've been down south but no one feels it more than i assure you.  My heart and appreciation goes out to all those that go week and week, the dedication they show is without fault, particularly when the club has the tendency to kick them in the nuts like they did at Man City in the cup last season or Moscow.

Richard and Deano's Mullet are two of the most loyal and committed Villa fans I know, both fine examples of the fact that you don't have to attend every game to be a true supporter.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 11:31:49 PM »
Ah, thank you Frank, coming from you that is quite a compliment! Enjoy Spurs if you are going as I sure you are, I am working down in Hastings. Monday nights and Spurs remind me of a certain 4-4 draw...

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 11:39:39 PM »
I always think of floating fans as those who don't support a particular team and will watch whichever game takes their fancy.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 11:45:15 PM »
I always think of floating fans as those who don't support a particular team and will watch whichever game takes their fancy.

Have you ever met one of them? i'd be really surprised if they're a significant number to even show up over a season.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2011, 11:50:21 PM »
As a one game a season man, if Mr Lerner Sir will cover my air fair and accommodation I will gladly purchase a season ticket.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 12:54:50 AM »

Have you ever met one of them? i'd be really surprised if they're a significant number to even show up over a season.

I know several.

Anyway, I definitely see myself as a floating fan. I will go to the odd Villa game, usually when I'm coerced into flogging the fanzine, in between times I'll be down Tamworth or any number of obscure non-league grounds.
Love football, not enthused about The Villa.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2011, 09:13:08 AM »
I think that 'enticing people back' is a waste of time if we can agree that people like me are classed as floating fans.  It would make zero difference to me if we were in with a shout of winning the league.  Sure, on the occasions I do go, I'd much prefer to be going down to watch exhilarating football and winning more often, but I still wouldn't go to a significantly larger amount of games.  So what's the answer to swelling the gate?  It must be something clubs like Villa are considering with great vigour currently.

Not sure that you're typical, Rigadon, as generally the better the team do the higher the crowd.

I think what has happened now is that crowds have settled back to their normal level after a bit of a spike under MON so the drop looks more significant than it really is.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2011, 09:48:54 AM »
Maybe, Chris.  It's not that I don't want us to be challenging you understand: I'm not a masochist.  I just wouldn't be able to justify the extra time and money that going to more games would mean.  Early MON was about as positive a vibe as anything from the previous decade so it must've had some impact. 

Anyway, some interesting points of view.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2011, 10:10:38 AM »
Just a thought - why did we get the (positive) "blip" of the Norwich attendance?

Not a fashionable, successful or local club yet we have 35k+ while the two previous derbies were lower.
Many factors I suppose.

Let's see the comparisons for the three Red matches coming next...

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 12:01:19 PM »

I know several.

Anyway, I definitely see myself as a floating fan. I will go to the odd Villa game, usually when I'm coerced into flogging the fanzine, in between times I'll be down Tamworth or any number of obscure non-league grounds.
Love football, not enthused about The Villa.

Come to think of it, the only person i've ever met who went semi-regularly to league games with no allegiance to any team was a non-league fan. But he only went because he took a delight in criticising all aspects of league football as compared to the vastly superior non-league brand. Again though, i'd say these 'special' types of match going fans are very thin on the ground

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal