collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Gardner - including loan to Coventry  (Read 109633 times)

Offline Surrey Villain

Re: gary gardner and the U21 s
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2011, 01:59:39 PM »
Two wonderful goals from Gardner but then he spoiled it with the irritating badge-kissing which seems to be a family trait!

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2011, 02:02:04 PM »
I've seen Gary play five or six times in the flesh and my take is that he could indeed be a superstar, at his own age group he is the best I've seen, when he steps up to the reserves he looks very promising but Bannan eclipsed him on the three occasions I saw. We don't have to rush this but fuck me, he's good. Its a shame we have such a paucity of players now as if we had him a few years ago we could have introduced him more steadily without the expectation he's now going to be subject to.

On another point that Watford forward looks a player.

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 02:02:50 PM »
Two wonderful goals from Gardner but then he spoiled it with the irritating badge-kissing which seems to be a family trait!

Not really an issue at international level surely, can't see him swapping for Estonia any time soon

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 02:06:31 PM »
'Even as a young lad I was Tallin everyone how much football meant to me'

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2011, 05:37:40 PM »
Wiltshire is 19 and Ramsey is 20. Blend him into the first team slowly. He could easily replace Petrov and with him and Jenas in the middle we would have a lot more energy ......

Offline gervilla

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2011, 05:56:39 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing Gary and Daniel Johnson in the first team, they both look like they could do a job for us at the moment.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2011, 06:15:37 PM »
I'd like to see him play in a 3 with Petrov and Herd.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 08:01:41 PM »
Not every player is a mercenary.

Its not about being a mercenary, its about making progress in your chosen career.

Players leaving moving clubs to increase their wages and/or improve their career prospect is no different to a builder or an accountant changing employers for the same reason

If he is going to be a top player then he will attract the top clubs who play in the top competitions, which isn't us.

FFS people - can we just enjoy seeing an obvious talent coming through our ranks, and hopefully this one actually is a Villa fan for real.

Lets just enjoy it before we pack him off to money bags FC eh lads

IT does seem that sometimes our club really cannot do anything without the doom merchants taking hold

Exactly what I wanted to say.

Here's to us taking the game by storm over the next few years with Gabby and the rest of our young lads leading the charge. 

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2011, 08:15:36 PM »
Gary Gardner is a quality player and is just going to get even better.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2011, 08:38:54 PM »
FFS people - can we just enjoy seeing an obvious talent coming through our ranks, and hopefully this one actually is a Villa fan for real.

Lets just enjoy it before we pack him off to money bags FC eh lads

IT does seem that sometimes our club really cannot do anything without the doom merchants taking hold

Well said sir.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2011, 08:43:07 PM »
He may not have played for us first team wise yet but Gardner is as good and the same type of player as Gerrard at that age.

A bold statement I know but referee Gerrard was injury free when he played for England then.

Gardner is THAT good.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2011, 07:58:05 AM »
With jenas ineligible for spurs, it seems a choice between bannan and Gardner for a place on the bench, though that could change if herd, petrov or agbonlahor are injured

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2011, 08:08:54 AM »
Really looking forward to seeing the lad play in the first team proper.  Would be lovely to think he'll live up to the expectation.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2011, 11:03:54 AM »
Really looking forward to seeing the lad play in the first team proper.  Would be lovely to think he'll live up to the expectation.

I agree. Perspective required here methinks - he scored two good goals late on against Iceland under 21s. When he has taken games against Man Utd and Chelsea by the scruff of the neck in the way a young Gerrard or Rooney could, I shall start raving...

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2011, 03:16:08 PM »
The problem we have with the team is that they are just about winning or drawing.  The manager is therefore very reluctant to change things much as he knows what he will be in for if we start losing.  If we continue in this vein, we will never develop good young players to a PL level.

Why is it that our young players never seem to get a look in until they are 19 or 20, by which time they will start to lose a bit of the drive that they showed as 16 or 17 year olds and what put them ahead of others in their age group.

Even in the MON years we never looked that convincing that we could carry one or two young players in the team so that they could develop with experience.  This, I believe, is why we never seem to get too many youngsters that push on and become 1st team regulars.  For every Gabby, we have 5 or 6 that move on to other clubs for nominal fees.

We are never going to finish near the top with the way finances dictate the finishing order at the present, so why do we continue with playing average older players that are on the down slope of their careers.  I, for one, would much rather see enthusiasm of youth to rekindle my enthusiasm for the game, than the run-of-the-mill stuff that is served up now.  Just look at Herd, a player that was never at the head of the queue but showing, given the chance, the life he has given to a turgid midfield.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal