collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa: Dario Gradi Steps-Down as Crewe Manager  (Read 4122 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
0% Villa: Dario Gradi Steps-Down as Crewe Manager
« on: November 10, 2011, 12:55:34 PM »

One of the benchmarks for feeling that you can't be that old - cos Dario Gradi is still manager of Crewe, is gone now.
Strange that it should happen on the week whisky nose was fawned over for his 25 years at Old Trafford.

Crewe Alexandra legend Dario Gradi has stepped down after 1,404 games as manager to become head of the academy.

Assistant manager Steve Davis will take control of first-team affairs at Alex.

Gradi, 70, was appointed as manager in 1983 and spent 24 years in charge, before two years as technical director and another two as manager.

He was booed by a section of the home supporters following last Saturday's 3-0 defeat by Torquay, a result that leaves them 18th in League Two.

Gradi, who will remain in his role as director of football and board director, won four promotions during his time in charge of Crewe.

He was also responsible for producing a number of players who would go on to be internationals, including David Platt, Geoff Thomas, Neil Lennon, Rob Jones, Robbie Savage, Danny Murphy, Seth Johnson, David Vaughan and Dean Ashton, bringing in around £25m for the club.

Following the defeat by Torquay, Gradi insisted the fans would not drive him out, saying: "I shall hand over when it suits or when somebody else tells me that it's time to go. It certainly won't be because of the supporters."

And they also lost his final game in charge, Tuesday's 3-1 defeat at Oldham in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

But he now hands over the reins to 46-year-old former Northwich and Nantwich manager Davis, who played under Gradi at Crewe between 1983 and 1987.

Davis will be assisted by Neil Baker, who has been at the club for 17 years as assistant manager, coach and scout.

The move around is down to changes in the way Football League academies will work. The Elite Player Performance Plan means the tribunal system will be abolished, meaning lower league clubs could receive lower fees for their players under 17.

A club statement read: "The Football and Premier Leagues have published plans aimed at furthering developing youth development programmes at clubs.

These plans will have significant impacts on clubs both financially and organisationally.

"The Crewe Alexandra board believes that youth development should still be a major investment for the club and intends to exploit any opportunities arising from such changes, despite the challenges it will face.

"As a result, Dario Gradi will hand over first-team manager responsibilities to Steve Davis, and concentrate on the future development and direction of the academy."

INTERNATIONALS TO COME THROUGH CREWE ACADEMY

David Platt (England, 62 caps)
Geoff Thomas (England, nine caps)
Neil Lennon (Northern Ireland, 40 caps)
Rob Jones (England, eight caps)
Robbie Savage (Wales, 39 caps)
Danny Murphy (England, nine caps)
Seth Johnson (England, one cap)
David Vaughan (Wales, 28 caps)
Dean Ashton (England, one cap)

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Re: 0% Villa: Dario Gradi Steps-Down as Crewe Manager
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 01:01:53 PM »
The move around is down to changes in the way Football League academies will work. The Elite Player Performance Plan means the tribunal system will be abolished, meaning lower league clubs could receive lower fees for their players under 17.

Nice know that the interests of the smaller clubs are being looked after as well as ever.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »
He was on football focus on saturday, Great man, Wasn't he linked with us before we got in mcleish?

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 01:30:32 PM »
This is just typical of modern football and a victory for the boo boys - another young up and coming manager hounded out of the job before he can prove himself.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:08:06 PM »
This is just typical of modern football and a victory for the boo boys - another young up and coming manager hounded out of the job before he can prove himself.

He's 70 !

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 02:15:22 PM »
Shame he had to step down that way. There were many clubs over the years that tried to take him away from Crewe but he always remained loyal to them.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »
He brought some good youngsters through at Crewe.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 03:00:45 PM »

He's 70 !
If ever a facepalm meme was deserved......

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 03:07:01 PM »

He's 70 !
If ever a facepalm meme was deserved......
Or a FFS!

Gradi, has stepped down from the managers job before, he will be back in 5 years mark my words.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 04:06:43 PM »
To the best of my knowledge he is the only football manager who has a recording artist/s named after him.  A good man and like Bren syas, he will be back as manager when this one is shown the door.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 04:14:10 PM »
I saw a feature on him last week on Midlands Today I think it was, and he still had plenty of relish for management in that interview. It seems though he got a bad reception from fans at the end of the last home game.

At least the club are still utilising his services.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 05:14:35 PM »
To the best of my knowledge he is the only football manager who has a recording artist/s named after him

Worrabout Danny Wilson?

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 09:01:44 PM »
To the best of my knowledge he is the only football manager who has a recording artist/s named after him

Worrabout Danny Wilson?

Damn your eyes young Hamilton!

To the best of my knowledge he is one of two football manager who have recording artist/s named after them.

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 09:30:32 PM »
It seems a shame the Crewe Alex fans turned on Dario Gradi last Saturday as he is almost exclusively responsible for, firstly, their survival as a Football League club and then their relative success. During the 1990s his status in south Cheshire was on a par with that of Paul McGrath in B6 - there is a road named after him just off Gresty Road.

It seems though he is the last of a breed given the Premier League's clubs desperation to annex the best of everything regardless of the cost to others. This is almost criminal.

Oh.. and I don't think Danny Wilson counts - he was still playing when 'Mary's Prayer' was out in the late 1980s.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:59:08 PM by Exeter 77 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal