collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dunne's turn?  (Read 17723 times)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Dunne's turn?
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2011, 10:46:25 PM »
We might not be in any kind of position to sign a Vidic or Mexes, but there are still plenty of players out there who could improve on the likes of Dunne and Collins.

Who, among the Man City or Spurs reserves, are you thinking of?

Because there is where we do our shopping.

It does increasingly seem that way, doesn't it. 

But even from that narrow pool, I'd take Bassong or Onuoha over Dunne. Corluka plays right back or CB, If -for the sake or argument- he was available he'd be an upgrade.

For other CB's not quite in the top bracket, but with the capacity to improve us (and who might see a move to us as a step up)  you have the likes of Dann, Samba, Shawcross, Heitinga and Hangeland.    Even Huth would probably be less of a liability than the Dunner.

Some of those wouldn't be cheap, I imagine -though expiring contracts or the prospect of relegation does of course change the picture.

Then there are players on the continent who might be available for more reasonable fees, or promising young players on the up like Jorgensen  at FC Copenhagen. Only 21 and already captain of his club and a Danish international.

Offline Archie

« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2011, 10:58:42 PM »
Agree, and wht many seem not to consider is that the other average CB of the Premier League don't earn 130.000 pounds a week. If Dunne earned 10.000 pounds a week I wouldn't have any issue  against him, he would be an average defender like there are many others, but for those wages I want the likes of Thiago Silva, Alessandro Nesta, Vidic or players of that level. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:41:39 PM by Archie »

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2011, 09:28:32 AM »
£130k per week? Are you sure?

Onuhas as an upgrade on Dunne, I've seen it all now.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Dunne
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2011, 10:55:28 AM »
I think Clark and Cuellar are both upgrades on Dunne.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2011, 11:00:49 AM »
There's an amazing amount of bollocks being written on this thread.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2011, 11:02:20 AM »
130k a week my arse.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2011, 12:10:05 PM »
For other CB's not quite in the top bracket, but with the capacity to improve us (and who might see a move to us as a step up)  you have the likes of Dann, Samba, Shawcross, Heitinga and Hangeland.    Even Huth would probably be less of a liability than the Dunner.

I think we disagree on the quality of Dunne. I agree (with most) that he was a complete liability and disgrace at the first half of last season. After being dropped from the side, he reacted positively and towards the end he was back to what he really is, I feel: a good central defender by Premier League standards who is too prone to the costly error to be called top class. I find it much harder to praise the ability of his side-kick James Collins (who, while not reaching the depths of Dunne, also was a disgrace at the start of last season).

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2011, 12:58:59 PM »
I don't doubt his quality when he is up for it.

But I do  doubt his professionalism -as evidenced by his conditioning for two thirds of last season, his spat with Cowans and his boozy sessions up town -puffing on cigarettes. 

A player of his age and experience should know better,  set an example.  What kind of moral authority does a manager have if he preaches sacrifice, discipline and dedication to the younger players and lets a chancer like Dunne completely take the piss? It's not as if he was operating from a position of strength either, the best player on the park every Saturday (as per McGrath).   Conditioning issues and patchy form were not unusual for him at Citeh. So it's not as if it's a completely new phenomenon. At his age, he might be a bit too long in the tooth now to change, in all honesty.

Even if none of those things were factors, his age and a long standing knee condition mean we would need to be looking at alternatives sooner rather than later. 

We can probably limp through this season with him as  a regular in the side- and hope he keeps the errors to a minimum. But I'd be disappointed if he was still at the club by next August, in all honesty.

Offline Archie

« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2011, 01:47:04 PM »
£130k per week? Are you sure?

Onuhas as an upgrade on Dunne, I've seen it all now.

No, I was wrong, it's for two weeks, but it's  nevertheless outrageous to pay that amount a player so ordinary.
At least I suppose so reading that two weeks wages' of Dunne and Collins together are  200.000 K £, according to the Guardian, so Dunne should earn more or less 130.000: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/17/aston-villa-dunne-collins-fined

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2011, 02:03:11 PM »
We can probably limp through this season with him as  a regular in the side- and hope he keeps the errors to a minimum. But I'd be disappointed if he was still at the club by next August, in all honesty.

His contract runs out in June 2013, and I doubt that we'll be able to shift him before that. And the current powers at Villa Park will probably be reluctant to have a player on his wages on the bench, so my advice would be to brace yourself for another season and a half with Richard Dunne in Villa's central defence. (Unless McLeish can be persuaded to detour from his safety first strategy and gamble on the promise of Clark rather than taking the less obvious gamble of sticking with the unreliable Dunne.)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2011, 02:28:56 PM »
If Dunne is as good as some on here are inferring then Collins must be very poor as the defence - whilst better - is still making too many rookie errors for my liking.

I'd like to see us phase Clark in as I think he could be our Ferdinand to Dunne/Collins Vidic-esque characteristics.

Is the general consensus that Collins is the weaker CB of the pair?

Offline Summers

« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2011, 04:07:45 PM »
I prefer Collins to Dunne, personally.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal