collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dunne's turn?  (Read 17724 times)

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
Re: Dunne's turn?
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 08:23:29 AM »
GH had recently done an interview saying he's only 80% fit and there is no way he's able to go back into football management

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 08:27:03 AM »
GH had recently done an interview saying he's only 80% fit and there is no way he's able to go back into football management

yeah but he didn't know that in May did he? People were talking about him coming back in October

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 08:36:23 AM »
So thank goodness we took the doctors advice then as it was proven to be correct

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 08:46:03 AM »
Weird comments from Dunney there, it's almost like the players weren't too fond of Houllier. If only they'd said something...

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 08:54:52 AM »
i'm not saying it wasn't the correct decision. Just that i doubt he'd have been here anyway if he hadn't fallen ill. If the rumours of his summer shopping list are true, then his budget would have dwarfed the pittance AM has been given. Given the choice of giving GH the money to replace Dunne, Collins and Warnock or bringing in someone who can work with them and understands Hoof! Well, if you're a skint owner then its a no-brainer
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 09:06:45 AM by Greg N'Ash »

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 09:11:07 AM »
All this makes me feel a little better about Ally Mac. They are only saying it like it is. I for one would rather have our current manager (not that I would have chosen him or some of the others we might have ended up with) than Gerrard who was seemingly unable to manage players well.
I am pleased that our squad are saying they are happier now-what is the alternative?
The other thing is that most of them did not air their views while Gerrard was in post as this is usually the last straw and damages everyone. Even Warnock kept his head down.
The players that were very poor last year are at least playing fairly well and represent a turnaround that can only be attributed to the change of manager.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2011, 09:26:35 AM »
I get wary of 'life under previous manager' statements. You only have to look at Curtis Davies slagging off MON for not playing him when MON resigned. Davies subsequently ruined his ire by then playing like a shed and was shipped off to da blues.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2011, 09:38:08 AM »
Dunne could have been more professional in many aspects, his form and fitness last season, not even mentioning the fiasco with Collins and the coaching staff. Dunne has been at this level for over 10 years, you'd think he would know better. In terms of his form and fitness, and probably attitude this season, it has improved, however, there's not many of us that could go to work and underperform and act like a twat because we didn't like our manager. I know I couldn't. I'd still ahve to knuckle down and perform.

Offline Handsworth Wood Villa

• TRS-T
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2011, 11:54:31 AM »
So glad that Houllier left.

I'd have him back in a shot now, and I was one of his biggest critics.

I'd never have him back.

One of the great things about McLeish is that he's not Houllier.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2011, 11:55:29 AM »
aye. the way he acted, getting drunk and starting arguements during time away with the team was unforgivable whoever the manager was or how difficult he was to get along with. Whatever he does now i'll be happier when he's moved on. People like Milner and Barry haven't been regulars at Citeh all the time despite the fee's, yet you don't catch them acting the big I am. If he was a world class player who'd always been superb from us, i 'd probably have more sympathy, but he's an average defender who was jettisoned by Citeh as soon as they had the money to buy quality. And even then they basically had crowbar him out the door and to pay him to join us. If one thing demonstrates the decline of Aston Villa over the last 3 years, its the fact we've now got the players of questionable character that Citeh wanted rid of, while they have the hardworking quality professionals of MON's side.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2011, 01:04:23 PM »
Hold on a minute, why is Dunne taking so much stick? If he's asked a question about what he thought of last season, he answers it. If he's then asked if he would've left if GH was still manager, he answers it. Finally, if he's asked if he's enjoying this season under AM, he answers it.

Because his answer seems to pin the blame squarely on Houllier, whereas in actual fact, if you picked the players who let us down most last year, Dunne's name would be right up there at the top of the list.

You'd think they might think "I'm going to keep my mouth shut and not go down this route, lest I remind people of my own shambolic season".

Fighting with staff members, FFS. He was a disgrace for much of last season. Any manager would have struggled with that.

I agree with you Paulie.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2011, 01:11:49 PM »

yeah but..

no but yeah but no..

(winky)

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2011, 01:28:33 PM »
aye. the way he acted, getting drunk and starting arguements during time away with the team was unforgivable whoever the manager was or how difficult he was to get along with. Whatever he does now i'll be happier when he's moved on. People like Milner and Barry haven't been regulars at Citeh all the time despite the fee's, yet you don't catch them acting the big I am. If he was a world class player who'd always been superb from us, i 'd probably have more sympathy, but he's an average defender who was jettisoned by Citeh as soon as they had the money to buy quality. And even then they basically had crowbar him out the door and to pay him to join us. If one thing demonstrates the decline of Aston Villa over the last 3 years, its the fact we've now got the players of questionable character that Citeh wanted rid of, while they have the hardworking quality professionals of MON's side.

I agree with that Greg. A barely average, overpaid waste of space and exactly the kind of player we should have got rid of in the summer.

Offline Merv

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2011, 02:14:25 PM »
Fact is, a lot of our players are easy pickings for journalists. There are about half a dozen they could interview and the 'angle' is obvious for their questioning: ask about how crap last season was, and away you go.

Dunne is one of several players who would almost certainly have left the club had Houllier remained in charge. He's stayed. Thing is, I'm asking myself, are we better off as a result? Definitely with Gabby - but then Dunne, Collins, Ireland, Warnock... I thought the defence needed a shake-up over the summer, Young aside they're all still here, and I'm not sure whether we're better off for that or not.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2011, 02:34:13 PM »
How old is Dunne now? He must be pushing 32. Hopefully towards the end of the season Clarke will be edging him out of the team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal