collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Makoun Watch  (Read 15046 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Makoun Watch
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2011, 10:42:21 AM »
It's a good job we did'nt kick out Petrov after 7 games.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2011, 10:45:46 AM »
I think a lot of people would have Clampy, Saying that he took a LONG time to settle

Online Clampy

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2011, 10:54:15 AM »
I think a lot of people would have Clampy, Saying that he took a LONG time to settle

I know, but at least he was given a fair crack. Makoun in fairness was hardly given time to find a house.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2011, 11:03:49 AM »
When I said I wasn't impressed with N'zogbia's attitude and overall play the general feeling was give him time yet Makoun get's a few games for everyone to decide he's hopeless

The main difference between the two is what we know of N'Zogbia from Wigan - which is that he can be a very good PL performer.  With Makoun, it's more his suitablility to the PL than actual ability that I question.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »

If the manager that signed him had left, we probably would have.

Online Clampy

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2011, 11:20:25 AM »
It's strange though, MON got lambasted for not looking past England for his players. The next manager comes in, brings in a player who's played over 200 games in France and he's deemed not suitable.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2011, 12:09:25 PM »
It's strange though, MON got lambasted for not looking past England for his players. The next manager comes in, brings in a player who's played over 200 games in France and he's deemed not suitable.

My argument about that was always that going overseas did not guarantee a better player.  MON valued PL experience, probably overly so for me, but Makoun is as good an example as any of why he did.

In truth if you want to build a successful PL side it needs a balance between the two philosophies.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2011, 07:47:50 PM »
You just need to give foreign players time to settle. Nani took an age before he clicked at Man Utd.

He was a young player who had other world class players in the team ahead of him.  Makoun was supposed to be a Champions League class defensive midfielder, he wasn't, he was (is) crap.

Downing, Milner and A. Young weren't exactly setting the place on fire the first 6 months they were here. I'm not saying Makoun would've reached their class but I think once he'd adapted to the pace of the game (which a lot of Foreign players take a while to get up to speed to) he'd have been a decent enough midfielder for us.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2011, 12:44:18 AM »

If the manager that signed him had left, we probably would have.

Huh? The manager that signed him did leave.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2011, 11:56:59 AM »
he struggled to complete simple passes and his tackling was clumsy bordering on reckless.

You must have missed the game up at Old Trafford then, i think he gave the ball away once. His tackling was'nt the best  granted, but it may have been that he was getting used to the pace of the Premiership.

If you want to highlight one game then how about bottom of the league Hereford in the League cup this season?

Online Clampy

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2011, 11:59:38 AM »
he struggled to complete simple passes and his tackling was clumsy bordering on reckless.

You must have missed the game up at Old Trafford then, i think he gave the ball away once. His tackling was'nt the best  granted, but it may have been that he was getting used to the pace of the Premiership.

If you want to highlight one game then how about bottom of the league Hereford in the League cup this season?

No, he was'nt very good that game, but then again neither were the other 10 players in the team.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2011, 07:41:20 PM »
When I said I wasn't impressed with N'zogbia's attitude and overall play the general feeling was give him time yet Makoun get's a few games for everyone to decide he's hopeless

The main difference between the two is what we know of N'Zogbia from Wigan - which is that he can be a very good PL performer.  With Makoun, it's more his suitablility to the PL than actual ability that I question.

i didnt really notice N'zog to much when he was at Wigan, i'm not saying he wasnt any good but i cant remember thinking that he was a right good player and one which i wished we could afford to buy,
the reasons are probably because Wigan are not high profile and i can just take or leave them.
i also think a player starts to become better by word of mouth rather than actually seeing the proof yourself.

take Downing, i never rated him, although he did some nice things every now and again but for me was never the player that people were talking about,
 he even made player of the season, although there were not many other players queing up for the accolade admitidly, however he was highly thought of by many, but i still thought he was mostly useless,
even some mates who dont follow Villa were saying 'that Downings playing well' when you asked them why they thought that it was more paper talk maybe a few highlights on MOTD,

i reckon N'Zogbia might be like Downing, totally overated by people who see what they want to see rather than whats actually happening, ask the scousers what they thing of the lump of lard they paid 20 mill for, it was all spin in my view, he's rubbish for England as well.

i hope i'm wrong about N'zogbia, as i would like him to become a good player for us obviously, but at the moment sadly i'm struggling to think of many worse buys in my 40 years of supporting Villa

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2011, 07:42:32 PM »
sorry for the above post, just noticed its in the Makoun watch thread, not the i hate Downing one

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2011, 08:18:24 PM »
It's a shame no one in Greece wanted Ireland on loan,the piece of shit is a waste of space,and probably on far more money than Makoun.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal