collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by john2710
[Today at 12:11:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by john2710
[Today at 12:11:45 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 12:07:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:48:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 11:45:03 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Makoun Watch  (Read 15045 times)

Offline UsualSuspect

Re: Makoun Watch
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2011, 10:52:04 AM »
Makoun was very good at passing to the nearest man first time, his short passing was good. Not sure everyone else was upto speed with the speed of his passing.

For a 'defensive' midfielder, his takling was poor, most of the time he'd just run straight into players

On the two occasions I saw him he was slow and had no awareness of where the opposition players were, so continually dispossesed and fouling.

If he is this maestro that some think he is why is he not getting a sniff in greece?

Offline Ryu

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2011, 11:13:14 AM »
I just think our central midfield is such an area of weakness that we couldn't afford to wait and see whether Makoun was going to cut it or not. We were unfortunate that the replacement with PL experience we got in kept getting crocked.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 05:48:40 PM »
Delph did o.k at Fulham and was MOTM at home to Blackburn. However I thought he was really poor at Everton and at home to Newcastle.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 08:02:07 PM »
I'd just like to get Makoun back.  He's a bit special.  Roll on the end of the season.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2011, 08:14:52 PM »
Makoun was very good at passing to the nearest man first time, his short passing was good. Not sure everyone else was upto speed with the speed of his passing.

For a 'defensive' midfielder, his takling was poor, most of the time he'd just run straight into players

On the two occasions I saw him he was slow and had no awareness of where the opposition players were, so continually dispossesed and fouling.

If he is this maestro that some think he is why is he not getting a sniff in greece?

You didnt see him at Old Trafford, then, he passed the ball exceptionally well and barely ever gave it away.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
You just need to give foreign players time to settle. Nani took an age before he clicked at Man Utd.

Offline Risso

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2011, 09:37:11 PM »
You just need to give foreign players time to settle. Nani took an age before he clicked at Man Utd.

He was a young player who had other world class players in the team ahead of him.  Makoun was supposed to be a Champions League class defensive midfielder, he wasn't, he was (is) crap.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2011, 02:53:10 PM »
Maybe he needed more time to settle but he is barely getting a game in Greece (which isn't exactly the highest level in the world) so I don't get how people think he is going to be some kind of saviour for us. We signed him as a defensive midfielder and that was a role he was completely unsuited to. He was a poor tackler and not only that he lacked the intelligence of a Petrov or a Gareth Barry who managed to get past not being top class tacklers by knowing how to disrupt the other teams rhythm through intercepting the ball and winning fouls. We looked much a better team for dropping him and bringing in Petrov and NRC towards last season for this reason in spite of both of them being poorer passers. He has done nothing to prove himself to be some kind of magic bullet.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 10:13:11 AM »
Maybe he needed more time to settle but he is barely getting a game in Greece (which isn't exactly the highest level in the world) so I don't get how people think he is going to be some kind of saviour for us. We signed him as a defensive midfielder and that was a role he was completely unsuited to. He was a poor tackler and not only that he lacked the intelligence of a Petrov or a Gareth Barry who managed to get past not being top class tacklers by knowing how to disrupt the other teams rhythm through intercepting the ball and winning fouls. We looked much a better team for dropping him and bringing in Petrov and NRC towards last season for this reason in spite of both of them being poorer passers. He has done nothing to prove himself to be some kind of magic bullet.

But he did really well at OT

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2011, 10:24:36 AM »

You can't base your evaluation of a player based on one game.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2011, 10:26:10 AM »

But you can on six or seven?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2011, 10:31:17 AM »

But you can on six or seven?

The more a player plays, the truer the picture you get of them is.  But more importantly, a manager also sees them in training during that time and can then draw conculusions, either rightly or wrongly, based on more than we see on match day.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 10:37:26 AM »
When I said I wasn't impressed with N'zogbia's attitude and overall play the general feeling was give him time yet Makoun get's a few games for everyone to decide he's hopeless

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 10:37:51 AM »
from the games I saw Makoun I thought he did ok, although, I'd much rather have Chris Herd in the team now, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Offline Risso

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2011, 10:40:54 AM »
When I said I wasn't impressed with N'zogbia's attitude and overall play the general feeling was give him time yet Makoun get's a few games for everyone to decide he's hopeless

If the man who bought him, Houllier, didn't think that Makoun was worth a start, and presumably he was bought with Houllier's style of tippy tappy football in mind, then he had no chance under McLeish.  I didn't think his style was at all suited to the Premier League.   He was slow, couldn't tackle and making lots of short one touch passes couldn't make up for those facts.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal