collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: We could be Randy's other team..  (Read 12255 times)

Offline NeilH

Re: We could be Randy's other team..
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 09:41:48 AM »
Absolutely brilliant. I could not empathise anymore with the last statement. Many was a time that I walked away from VP filled with anger, only to look over my shoulder and realise I'd be doing it all again in two weeks.
Someone really ought to re-create it for Villa.

Offline Summers

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 11:08:17 AM »
Brilliant.

Offline Muscle-Dolphin

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »
Comparing "apples to oranges".  As someone who lives in Canada and the U.S.A. (and having a wife from outside Birmingham U.K.) there really is no comparison in English football to the Cleveland Browns.  For instance, there is no relegation in the NFL.  If there was, Cleveland would never ever be in the "Premier League" of American football.  They'd probably be fighting to stay in the "Championship".  The Grey Cup winners of the CFL would probably give them a good game.  Hell, LSU or Alabama of the NCAA might even be competitive.  The threat of relegation is our friend and I hope that some owners do not get their desire of having a "relegation free" Premier League.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 11:49:41 AM »
Sporting pain is a universal language.

At least the NFL team I love is currently providing me with joy (Green Bay).
I've been following american football since 1983 and in all that time the Browns have been awful.

At least Villa have had moments in the sunshine since then.

Haven't they got to a couple of AFC Championship games in that period?  I know its not pulling up trees but still.......

In fairness, I had forgotten about those.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 01:27:05 PM »
The Randy Browns (ie not the team that is now the Balmer Ravens) have made the playoffs just once, as a Wild Card in 2002. They lost to the Steelers in the playoffs

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/playoffs.htm

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 03:48:04 PM »
Comparing "apples to oranges".  As someone who lives in Canada and the U.S.A. (and having a wife from outside Birmingham U.K.) there really is no comparison in English football to the Cleveland Browns.  For instance, there is no relegation in the NFL.  If there was, Cleveland would never ever be in the "Premier League" of American football.  They'd probably be fighting to stay in the "Championship".  The Grey Cup winners of the CFL would probably give them a good game.  Hell, LSU or Alabama of the NCAA might even be competitive.  The threat of relegation is our friend and I hope that some owners do not get their desire of having a "relegation free" Premier League.

No CFL or NCAA Football team could compete with an NFL team, fact.

Offline CBAV06

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2011, 07:54:11 PM »

I think it is more a figure of speech. The guys that don't make the NFL travel to Canada to play in the CFL, if there are spots available. It is a slightly different style game too.

Oh, I realized many of you might not be aware but the guy that makes that video is a comedian and Cleveland is one of his subjects. He also did this one: http://youtu.be/ysmLA5TqbIY

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2011, 09:00:13 PM »
Oh, I realized many of you might not be aware but the guy that makes that video is a comedian and Cleveland is one of his subjects. He also did this one: http://youtu.be/ysmLA5TqbIY

While i was a student, and for a year or so after, I spent summers / extended holidays travelling around the US, mainly by delivering cars, or using Greyhound buses.

I spent a fair amount of time in most major cities, but the scariest experience i had was having to spend a few hours at the Greyhound station in Cleveland late at night.

I've never seen such a high concentration of absolute mentals since then. It was in the late 80s, so Cleveland may have changed in the meantime, but wow, what a place it was back then.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2011, 10:04:41 PM »

I think it is more a figure of speech. The guys that don't make the NFL travel to Canada to play in the CFL, if there are spots available. It is a slightly different style game too.

I've been to a couple of CFL games....great fun to watch.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2011, 01:24:57 AM »

Which teams/venues did you go to? Go Riders!

Offline CBAV06

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2011, 05:58:14 PM »

Which teams/venues did you go to? Go Riders!

My inlaws are Riders fans, although we all live in Winnipeg now.

I do not have a CFL team yet lol

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2011, 02:02:02 AM »
They are everywhere!

Offline wombat

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2011, 05:51:39 AM »
from the Brown's Board

I'm leaving 80* weather, taking off four days of work, flying 1200 miles to see the Browns beat the 1-7 Rams ... if they lose I will take a giant apeshit on the 50 yardline ... while holding up a sign that says "This one's for you, Randy ... you midget soccer-loving homo".

Does Leighton have a banner in mind for a reply?!?!?!

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2011, 08:18:36 AM »
They really are shit arn't they

Wonder what makes Randy keep it all going - sense of history, family pride?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal