collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by trinityoap
[Today at 09:49:17 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:47:46 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by LeeB
[Today at 09:40:54 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Astnor
[Today at 09:34:17 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 09:32:44 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mcleish - Slams Rumours of Darren Bent Sale  (Read 20101 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Mcleish - Slams Rumours of Darren Bent Sale
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2011, 11:36:22 AM »
But don't forget AM saying that if players were rubbish they would be dropped.

I think Clark will be another one on his way.

I am not sure that Collins or Dunne has been consistently rubbish enough to justify dropping them though.  They seem to share the cock-ups pretty evenly between them, and mix it all up with some sterling bits of defending too.

Exactly.

I mentioned this in the Norwich post match thread, but I think the defenders are doing relatively OK individually (fullbacks not so much, but seem to be improving) and it's more the collective organistation that seems to be letting us down.  Some problems in a football side are best solved by dropping players and/or the transfer market and some are best solved on the training pitch.  I think our current defensive issues are the latter.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2011, 11:41:12 AM »
Albrighton had an amzing debut season, Bannan has been one of the better players this season, Delph started well and has had injuries but has so much potential and Clark is third choice centre half who can play left back and midfield. I dont think any of them are going anywhere yet and if they do it's madness.

If Bannan makes a habit of driving half cut, perhaps.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2011, 11:46:40 AM »
The thing is with Bannan is that he needs to be starting regularly and playing behind bent so he can break defences down with his passing

Coming on with 10 minutes to go and putting him on the wing isn't going to do this.

Our kids have been full of potential for perhaps 2 seasons but now at 22/23 they all need to start shitting or get off the bog

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2011, 11:54:37 AM »
Well, all the ones mentioned have figured in the premier league now (and others also). It doesn't mean they have to take the league by storm immediately. That's not even likely.
Now its about getting games and learning and improving.

But yes, there are more coming through behind them and they have to perform to stay in contention.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2011, 12:46:02 PM »
With injuries and suspensions all the players mentioned in the last few posts will get their chance again.  It's up to them to show what they can do.  Predicting who'll go is premature to say the least.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2011, 12:49:13 PM »
Now its about getting games and learning and improving
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totally agree

Apart from Albrighton, Bannan, Fonz, Clark and Gardner aren't getting games.

Me predicting who will go is exactly that - predicting

Do you think that say Albrighton, Delph and Clark will be content sitting on the bench all season because I don't

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2011, 01:02:25 PM »
I mentioned this in the Norwich post match thread, but I think the defenders are doing relatively OK individually (fullbacks not so much, but seem to be improving) and it's more the collective organistation that seems to be letting us down.  Some problems in a football side are best solved by dropping players and/or the transfer market and some are best solved on the training pitch.  I think our current defensive issues are the latter.

A possible problem with the Collins and Dunne partnership is they're too similar.  They both like to win the first ball rather than anticipate where any flick on may go and therefore do not necessarily compliment each other very well.  Whilst this can be improved on the training pitch I think there could be an argument that one should make way for Clark.

Put it like this, If we still need to reduce the wage bill I would prefer to promote Clark and sell Dunne (how old now?  32?) AND keep Bent (Phew, back on topic...).

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2011, 01:03:37 PM »
"Do you think that say Albrighton, Delph and Clark will be content sitting on the bench all season because I don't"

And I would sincerely hope they wouldn't be or we have no use for them.
They'll get chances to play again, that is certain. Then it's up to them.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2011, 01:04:20 PM »
Reading this it is quite clear that there is very little belief in the club at the moment from our own fans.  I just can't see how any player of ours - even now when Randy is cutting costs - would want to go to Newcastle, QPR or Liverpool.  Liverpool's owner is worth less than Randy and my take on them is that if they don't make the Champs League they will be cutting costs, too.  As for Spurs and Arsenal, long term who knows where they will be? 

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2011, 01:25:07 PM »

A possible problem with the Collins and Dunne partnership is they're too similar.  They both like to win the first ball rather than anticipate where any flick on may go and therefore do not necessarily compliment each other very well.  Whilst this can be improved on the training pitch I think there could be an argument that one should make way for Clark.

Put it like this, If we still need to reduce the wage bill I would prefer to promote Clark and sell Dunne (how old now?  32?) AND keep Bent (Phew, back on topic...).

When they were at their best together it was mainly Dunne that did the covering/sweeping role, but you're right - they aren't a natural partnership in the Ferninand/Vidic mold.  I'd like to see Clark play with one of them for a run of games and see how it works.  Maybe not right now, with the tougher fixtures coming up, but if/when we're relatively safe and with no fear of challenging for anything, as I'd expect by around March next year.

Offline achilles

« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2011, 05:20:13 PM »
Its only a matter of time, certainly within the next couple of years, as he will want to actually win things and play in Europe... can't blame him for that!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal