collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New Villa Retro Shirts - Nostalgia Aint What It Used To Be  (Read 9944 times)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
New Villa Retro Shirts - Nostalgia Aint What It Used To Be
« on: November 03, 2011, 02:12:54 AM »
I got an email from the club today with a discount offer for purchases from the new catalogue. I had a look on the online shop to see if they had added any new lines to the retro wear which is probably the most interesting merchandise they sell as well as being less fallible to fashion.

I was quite surprised to find that the 1992/93 shirt (itself a homage to our 19th century all conquering teams) has been reissued (erroneously labelled as '1990', while the item description boasts the, er, achievement of ''Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United being beaten at Villa Park as Aston Villa finish Runners Up in the inaugural Premier League season''. The 1994 Coca Cola Cup victory wearing, Muller-emblazoned effort is also on sale.

http://www.astonvilladirect.com/stores/astonvilla/products/product_browse.aspx?cid=5703

Is there something not a little sad about seeing these shirts entering ''glory years'' status and being sold alongside the 1980-82 retro gear (a period which you could argue is at least genuinely worth marking)? Not to mention that a lot of us still have the original shirts from the 90's. I can still fit into my old 93/94 shirt.

Or maybe even sadder is the fact that the Villa's marketing people will struggle to come up with more recent successful shirts to commemorate in the future. The '96 League Cup one presumably will follow before all they're left with is whether that much loved Intertoto Cup (joint) win should be celebrated.

Offline Deano's Mullet

Re: New Villa Retro Shirts - Nostalgia Aint What It Used To Be
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 05:27:53 AM »
I got an email from the club today with a discount offer for purchases from the new catalogue. I had a look on the online shop to see if they had added any new lines to the retro wear which is probably the most interesting merchandise they sell as well as being less fallible to fashion.

I was quite surprised to find that the 1992/93 shirt (itself a homage to our 19th century all conquering teams) has been reissued (erroneously labelled as '1990', while the item description boasts the, er, achievement of ''Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United being beaten at Villa Park as Aston Villa finish Runners Up in the inaugural Premier League season''. The 1994 Coca Cola Cup victory wearing, Muller-emblazoned effort is also on sale.

http://www.astonvilladirect.com/stores/astonvilla/products/product_browse.aspx?cid=5703

Is there something not a little sad about seeing these shirts entering ''glory years'' status and being sold alongside the 1980-82 retro gear (a period which you could argue is at least genuinely worth marking)? Not to mention that a lot of us still have the original shirts from the 90's. I can still fit into my old 93/94 shirt.

Or maybe even sadder is the fact that the Villa's marketing people will struggle to come up with more recent successful shirts to commemorate in the future. The '96 League Cup one presumably will follow before all they're left with is whether that much loved Intertoto Cup (joint) win should be celebrated.

it doesnt look right without the sponsor.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 08:12:39 AM »
The 92/93 pack reminds me of Earl Barrett. The 93/94 shirt reminds me of Dean Saunders.

Offline Archie

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »
The shade of claret of this retro 1992-93 shirt is much better (darker) than the actual 1992-93 that was too light.

Offline sidcowans10

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 10:17:34 AM »
Deano your spot on it looks naff without the sponsor on it. Luckily I still have my original and it still fits !!
I wonder why they haven't had the sponsor on that one ( still mita wasn't it ?) but they have on the 94 shirt ?

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 11:38:45 AM »
I also agree it just don't seem right without the sponsors on it would've been better with a sponsor on.

Offline Rich6by7

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 11:49:14 AM »
I suspect the absence of a sponsor logo on the 92/3 shirt is due to Mita being bought by Kyocera. Müller are still going, of course- I wonder how much they've paid the club for further advertising potential?

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 12:21:43 PM »
That 1971 cup final shirt is ace.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 01:21:09 PM »

There'll be the "stinking out Wembley" shirt from 2000 and the "blowing Champion's League qualification" vintage from 2009. Maybe this season will be the "endless draws" one.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 02:03:15 PM »
I also agree it just don't seem right without the sponsors on it would've been better with a sponsor on.
Yeah I agree, should have the sponsor on.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 02:19:21 PM »
I'm guessing there wouldn't be any copyright issues with Mita as they (like many of our sponsors) no longer exist!

Offline gervilla

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 08:19:46 PM »
I still have both originals and still fit into them so for once I think I can pass on these retro offerings.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 08:23:19 PM »
Yeah I agree, should have the sponsor on.

The Muller one didn't have a sponsor when we first launched it.  They had to iron them on afterwards, and they looked shite.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 08:27:37 PM »
I'll be wearing my original laces shirt on Saturday. It is the new designated 'lucky shirt'. Bought for me by my then girlfriend, who turned out to be a hell queen. At least I got the shirt out of her though, and she had nice ...!

Offline ChrissyPrice

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 09:05:32 PM »
Nothing at all to do with Villa but for a sad (desperate?)description you can't beat "Coventry University. The best new university in the Midlands." which I rather oddly saw on the tube today.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal