collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 1975 promotion pictures.  (Read 29799 times)

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
Re: 1975 promotion pictures.
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 09:55:06 PM »
The Holte pub in all it's M&B glory.  http://www.pbase.com/beppuu/image/69569846

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2011, 10:59:37 PM »
Oh my

Offline Gazza1982

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 12:52:20 AM »
Anyone remember away to Ipswich in late 70's, all the Villa boys standing on the fence seperating the 2 sets of supporters and some of the Ipswich fans doing the same and they were all leaning over lamping each other?, sure it was near Christmas as that was definately '5 Ken McNaughts' and a 'Jimmy Rimmer as a goalie 'song. Think we lost 2-1.
 Also remember beating Ipswich 6-1 at Villa Park in 1978 a week before they won the cup.I actually knew their goalie a little (Paul Overton)as he was 2 years above me at school, it was his professional debut, he never played for them in the first team again after that drubbing.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 04:51:16 AM »
I'm 99.9% certain it was 2-0

WW, you'r right it was2-0. Also, Gazza1982, the 5-3 was a Saturday- the 3rd game back in Divsion 1 having lost 2-1 at home to Leeds and 2-0 away to Man City. We didn't win at all away that season.

Your memory is letting you down, we lost to Leeds then the first away game was at QPR on the Tuesday night  1-1 draw. First win was at home to Man City, after the Norwich game.

I'm sure you're right Chris. Maybe I'm getting the Man City match mixed up with another season, I'm sure I remember going of there on a warm August evening to see a 2-0 defeat- probably a year or two later.
Off to take my tablets before I forget.

Bernie, I am pretty certain the 2-0 away defeat to Man City was the beginning of the 1976-77 season. There was a furore around that game as a Villa fan was stabbed at Maine Rd and a fair number of fans exacted revenge on Man City when they came to play us in the league cup a few weeks alter.

Offline Bernie

• king of celebrity deathwatch
  • GM : 30.01.2025
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2011, 07:46:47 AM »
Thanks Pat McM.  That sounds about right, I remember a fair bit of trouble on the night. I think we beat them 3-0 in the League Cup at the start of the journey that led to Wembley-Hillsbrough-Old Trafford

Offline big 1st serve

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2011, 07:43:19 PM »
 The game against Albion ,which I think was @ Easter was one I always remember.

We won 3-1 & I think we had a freak blizzard during the second half.

Also recall after a goalmouth scramble at the Holte, John Wile turning round & giving us a double Harvey Smith,

Would have been a 3 match ban today.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 04:36:51 AM »
Another site I can't access in China but I remember the Sunderland game well. It was definitely 2-0 and I was a 12 year old in the Witton End with my dad in our usual spot, though there must have been 12-14 thousand Sunderland fans there. They were as good as gold - we stopped them getting promoted and although I went mental for each of our goals not a word or look was sent my way.

Oh for that optimism....

Pat, my brother and I left the Aston Tavern to walk to the ground as about 30 coachloads of Sunderland supporters were leaving the Serpentine car park. We were dressed from head to foot in claret & blue and walked in the middle of them down to the Witton Lane Holte End turnstile and didn't get so much as a dirty look. After the game while we were celebrating in the ground thousands of them were marched back up Witton Lane past the Holte End and were applauding us. Amazing sportsmanship under any circumstances but particularly so since we had cheered when the Norwich result was announced. Always had a soft spot for Mackems ever since

I know what you mean about the Mackems, Willywombat - always very decent and loyal supporters, and good value for a chat about the game in general.

Were you also at the Villa v Sunderland game on the opening day of the 1982-83 season? The youth team did a pre-match lap of the pitch with the European Cup and when they came to the Sunderland fans in the Witton End + Witton Lane stand to a man they stood up and applauded the Villa for our achievement. Very sporting of them.

Yes I do remember that now you come to mention it

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2016, 10:54:10 AM »
Anyone remember away to Ipswich in late 70's, all the Villa boys standing on the fence seperating the 2 sets of supporters and some of the Ipswich fans doing the same and they were all leaning over lamping each other?, sure it was near Christmas as that was definately '5 Ken McNaughts' and a 'Jimmy Rimmer as a goalie 'song. Think we lost 2-1.
Also remember beating Ipswich 6-1 at Villa Park in 1978 a week before they won the cup.I actually knew their goalie a little (Paul Overton)as he was 2 years above me at school, it was his professional debut, he never played for them in the first team again after that drubbing.
[/quote

I think this game was early December 1977 - I remember going and the 12 days of Christmas song - I thought we lost 2-0 and Colin Viljoen (WHO ??) returned for them after a bit of an absence.

I also remember the 6-1 drubbing we gave them at VP in 1978 - and when they made it 6-1 - the sarcastic chants of "one-six" - to the tune of Amazing Grace.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2016, 07:18:12 PM »
Can anyone else view the pics on a iPad keeps saying error when I try to click on the link.

What a day though vp packed to the rafters party time before during and after
I to thought how good the Sunderland fans was before and after the game always liked them over the geordies

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2016, 11:18:58 PM »
I'm 99.9% certain it was 2-0

WW, you'r right it was2-0. Also, Gazza1982, the 5-3 was a Saturday- the 3rd game back in Divsion 1 having lost 2-1 at home to Leeds and 2-0 away to Man City. We didn't win at all away that season.

I was 16 at the time and got knocked out by a man in his 30's - and to make matters worse I got grounded for a week and missed Everton on the Saturday our first away win back in Division 1

Your memory is letting you down, we lost to Leeds then the first away game was at QPR on the Tuesday night  1-1 draw. First win was at home to Man City, after the Norwich game.

I'm sure you're right Chris. Maybe I'm getting the Man City match mixed up with another season, I'm sure I remember going of there on a warm August evening to see a 2-0 defeat- probably a year or two later.
Off to take my tablets before I forget.

Bernie, I am pretty certain the 2-0 away defeat to Man City was the beginning of the 1976-77 season. There was a furore around that game as a Villa fan was stabbed at Maine Rd and a fair number of fans exacted revenge on Man City when they came to play us in the league cup a few weeks alter.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2016, 11:49:04 PM »
110% sure I am right Everton was our first away league win back in the top division didn't Little score both, not that  I went, also missed our second away league win Andy Gray scoring at Sunderland. 

Got to say back  in 1975-80 it was madness at some grounds. White Hart lane was on top the year they went down, Middlesborough every visit, Man Utd, Chelsea  on their promotion back to Div  1 and of course Anfield and Goodison.

Away days then were not for the faint hearted.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2016, 02:57:26 PM »

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2016, 03:05:35 PM »

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2016, 05:09:43 PM »
Some crackers in this lot. http://www.flickr.com/photos/myoldscans/4058579337/in/photostream/

Help!  It won't open!

and there I was thinking it was just me !

They are not there anymore. They were scanned and uploaded to a Flicker account and the OP was dated November 2011.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »
a picture from the 1975 League Cup Final...

UTV
The Doc

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal