collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Let's not forget Tony Barton  (Read 20209 times)

Online nigel

Let's not forget Tony Barton
« on: October 31, 2011, 07:48:28 PM »
Ron Saunders, for me, was the best Villa manager ever.
And, if we're honest it was his team that won the European Cup in '82.
But, someone had to guide us there, someone still had to give the players that belief. Tony Barton was that man.
Apart from the European Cup he also managed to land the European Super Cup too.
When Ron left Tony stepped up to take his place having worked under Ron during our successful period.
Then Doug decided that Villa needed a 'big name' manager so he appointed ..... Graham Turner, who proceeded to rip the heart out of the team.
Incidentally, Tony Barton’s win ratio% was actually better than Sir Ron’s, and has only been bettered by Sir Graham Taylor since. (wikipedia)
So while it's great to Remember and acknowledge Ron, let's not forget his side kick Tony Barton.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
Re: Let's not forget Tony Barton
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 07:54:31 PM »
Good call nigel.

Those were the days....

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 08:25:49 PM »
I seem to remember Tony Butler being a total cnut to Tony Barton on a regular basis. Not forgetting Doug removing him for the heinous crime of finishing in mid table and replacing him with the manager of Shrewsbury Town.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 08:31:53 PM »
Well said. Tony Barton was left to finish the job of winning the European Cup.
Incidentally, who would have been blamed if we did not make it?

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 08:32:07 PM »
It is shame we can't have those answer

Would we beat Bayern Munich in the Final if Ron still in charge ?

What would happens if Deadly kept Barton on for another 5 years ?

Offline ez

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 08:42:46 PM »
I remember we had a run in the league cup in Tony Barton's last season, going out against Everton. Kevin Richardson handled on the line but the ref missed it and we went out. I tend to think Tony's fate was sealed that night.

Online nigel

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 09:59:28 PM »
I seem to remember Tony Butler being a total cnut to Tony Barton on a regular basis. Not forgetting Doug removing him for the heinous crime of finishing in mid table and replacing him with the manager of Shrewsbury Town.
Finished mid table and won the European Super Cup to boot.
Doug lost my total respect when he did that to Tony in '92/93
That was me and my Dads last season watching until Martin O'Neils last season (for me).

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 10:32:40 PM »
When it comes to the way he was treated you don't know half.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 10:50:35 PM »
If there was any night I could witness as a Villa fan, its this. When people talk about it I could listen for hours. I always ask what was it like, and when its described I can't imagine the joy it sounds just totally out of this world!

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 11:20:02 PM »
The history books show that Tony Barton was manager of Aston Villa when we won the European Cup. That for me is enough to confer legendery status on him.

RIP Tony and thanks for the precious memories.

Offline Lobsterboy

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 11:25:43 PM »
Good shout Nigel.

There are only a handful of managers who have led British clubs to European Cup triumphs; Stein, Busby, Clough, Paisley, Ferguson. Never forget Barton takes his place alongside these footballing legends

I am not sure any of the above were ever treated as badly as Tony Barton was

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 12:29:36 AM »
10th place and a semi final were not good for enough for a club like Villa. But Graham Turner and Billy McNeill were. That was the start of my hatred for Ellis even if I was only 14.

It grew more the way the club (Ellis) showed a total lack of respect when Tony passed away. I was at his testimonial and the way the club handled it was nothing short of a disgrace in my opinion.

I know they were really shit back then, but it's the one time I have ever had any real of real respect for small heath the way Fry and his team turned up for that night.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 12:41:49 AM »
10th place and a semi final were not good for enough for a club like Villa. But Graham Turner and Billy McNeill were. That was the start of my hatred for Ellis even if I was only 14.

It grew more the way the club (Ellis) showed a total lack of respect when Tony passed away. I was at his testimonial and the way the club handled it was nothing short of a disgrace in my opinion.

I know they were really shit back then, but it's the one time I have ever had any real of real respect for small heath the way Fry and his team turned up for that night.

It wasn't Small Heath, it was a Terry Venables XI but to be fair to Bazza he let the organisers have the players they wanted and said that with more notice he'd have sent his entire team over. A lot of football people showed how well-respected Tony was in the game that night. One man in particular showed how contemptable he could be.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 12:58:04 AM »

It wasn't Small Heath, it was a Terry Venables XI but to be fair to Bazza he let the organisers have the players they wanted and said that with more notice he'd have sent his entire team over. A lot of football people showed how well-respected Tony was in the game that night. One man in particular showed how contemptable he could be.

Shows how crap my memory is as I get older, I thought Fry was there as well. I probably remember it that way as there were a fair few of their players, I seem to remember Jose Dominguez playing and actually not looking too bad a player.

I was in the Lower Trinity and if I remember it right there were only a couple of thousand there and that it was pretty cold. It seemed as if the club went out of there way to avoid publicising it etc and playing it.
I had a mate on the inside at the club back then and I remember him saying loads of clubs sent stuff to auction/raffle to help raise money, but we donated virtually nothing? And i'm sure he said something about the club charged his family for stuff as well on the night which had to be taken out of the proceeds?

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 01:04:01 AM »
Just about every club in the league donated stuff. Bayern Munich sent over an autographed ball. We donated nothing at all. The fund had to pay for the catering, including the boardroom which was occupied by Doug and El Tel. I can guarantee your mate doesn't know anywhere near the full story and unfortunately although I've said a lot of it before, even more still can't be said just yet. It was easily the most disgraceful episode in the club's history that I've come across.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 01:05:33 AM by dave.woodhall »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal