collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A case for the defence  (Read 8419 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: A case for the defence
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 05:11:17 PM »
Cuellar and Dunne was a good combo in the run up to xmas 2009.

I'd get Carlos back in at RB instead of Hutton tbh. I'd also have Clark alongside Dunne.

Offline nigel

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 05:17:55 PM »
I've a theory on why we can't defend set pieces.
Has anyone else noticed our poor rate at crosses? Either from corners or free kicks the ratio is poor to say the least.
Therefore if we have trouble delivering crosses how on earth are we supposed to practice defending them?
Just a thought :-)

Last season I would have liked to have seen Collins and Cuella, as Dunne was having a hard time. This season it's Dunne who's playing well with Collins seeming to struggle. Let's see Dunne and Cuella have a go together. Cuella and Clark played a couple of games together last season and looked pretty good, if I remember rightly.
One thing's for sure, you can't keep changing the defence willy nilly. The defence work as a unit so the more you tinker the more problems you'll have.
I think Herd has found himself a niche in the team as the defensive midfielder, he's looked good in the 2 games he's played there.

Offline IRISHPHIL

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 07:58:02 PM »
perhaps the worlds best defender should play at the back , THE ONE AND ONLY EMILE HESKEY

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 08:19:35 PM »
I have always thought that Dunne was a hard working player and what he lacked in skill, he made up with effort.  He would put his head and body in where it hurt.  Throughout his career, however, he has always been prone to making that one crucial error in a game.

I am starting to see more and more that he is getting caught flat-footed when the ball comes into the penalty area, particulary from the sides.  He still looks ok when the ball comes from the way he is facing.  If you look at a lot of the goals we have conceeded from set-pieces, it is Dunne that is left with no opposition player near him.  They have either made a decoy run off him or the player he should have been marking steals a yard on him to score.

The problem is that I do not think Collins is strong enough or good enough to carry Clark for a few games until he gets up to speed with the position.

Offline aShawthing

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 09:49:12 PM »
Well, IMO Hutton has to be the worst player we have signed in years!! Just about at fault in evry goal we have conceded and could have had loads of pens against him for hand balls. Generally cant run, cant tackle, gets turned constantly every team sees the right side of the defence as our weak spot! Cuellar, Clark or Herd for me at RB. The take either Dunne or Collins out of CB and put in Cuellar or Clark either just to shake things up.

Now the bigger problem Mr Bent!! Doing nothing and missing sitters. Sorry this just cant continue. He is a luxury player who is there to finish moves if he doesnt do that he is a waste of space. After Herd went off we were down to 9 as Bent was anonymous McLeish should have taken him off at half time and played Gabby up front where he should play every week. The Mailman? at present best thing he could do is pack his bags and get on his bike!!  New striker in Jan or the summer and lets try and cash in on him, we might get 3 mil if were lucky.

Unfortunately all the HUGE errors Houllier made (there are too many to mention) are coming back to haunt us now. Big Eck needs to find the players that are hungry like Herd not lazy overpaid has beens like Bent.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 09:52:15 PM »
Now the bigger problem Mr Bent!! Doing nothing and missing sitters. Sorry this just cant continue. He is a luxury player who is there to finish moves if he doesnt do that he is a waste of space. After Herd went off we were down to 9 as Bent was anonymous McLeish should have taken him off at half time and played Gabby up front where he should play every week. The Mailman? at present best thing he could do is pack his bags and get on his bike!!  New striker in Jan or the summer and lets try and cash in on him, we might get 3 mil if were lucky.

Unfortunately all the HUGE errors Houllier made (there are too many to mention) are coming back to haunt us now. Big Eck needs to find the players that are hungry like Herd not lazy overpaid has beens like Bent.

Bent a "has been"?

Are you serious? The reason he "does nothing" is because he does one thing - scores goals - and we're not getting him the ball. I also don't see how a player you yourself describe as there to finish off moves is a luxury player.

If we hadn't signed Bent, we'd be in the championship now, no two ways about it.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 09:55:27 PM »
Sell Bent for 3 million? And we'll be lucky to get that much for him?

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 10:04:56 PM »
Troll alert..

It's not just set pieces the first goal was terrible as well, if someone had tracked wickham he wouldnt have got a shot in.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 10:07:15 PM »
Well, IMO Hutton has to be the worst player we have signed in years!! Just about at fault in evry goal we have conceded and could have had loads of pens against him for hand balls. Generally cant run, cant tackle, gets turned constantly every team sees the right side of the defence as our weak spot! Cuellar, Clark or Herd for me at RB. The take either Dunne or Collins out of CB and put in Cuellar or Clark either just to shake things up.

Hmm, what's that odour?

Smells like shite to me. 

Offline nigel

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 08:45:56 AM »

Hmm, what's that odour?

Smells like shite to me.
Agree Kevin

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2011, 07:50:33 AM »
Bump

I thought mcleish was the man to sort the defence? Did anyone see Dunne go over to him and have a go? Why are we still zonal marking? We always in a line marking space rather than the man?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2011, 08:09:42 AM »
Clark left back, Herd right back, Cuellar for Collins has to happen ASAP. We have alternatives, and that back 4 would be much better than the clowns in there.

Petrov back into holding midfield, Bannan in front, NZogbia and Albrighton wide with Gabby and Bent up top please.

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2011, 08:16:31 AM »
Yeah but man marking or zonal? Has to be man for me

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2011, 08:19:44 AM »
The midfield is our biggest problem not the defence, they've tightened up the last 2 games and looked far more solid.

Offline pav

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2011, 08:23:25 AM »

Hmm, what's that odour?

Smells like shite to me.
Agree Kevin
well he probably would finish off moves , but thee ain't any , we created nothing yesterday , bent is the last of the problems .I'm afraid some of stuff your saying is trips

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal