collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What if Randy sold us next week?  (Read 5984 times)

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
What if Randy sold us next week?
« on: October 30, 2011, 05:08:39 AM »
If Randy sold us next week how much would he get for us?
Would he make a massive loss or break even?  Or even be in profit?

Offline jonc73

Re: What if Randy sold us next week?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 06:23:31 AM »
Not sure although I'd be quite happy IF a new owner was rich enough to bring back some optimism.  Thats a big IF though-we could get someone like the Venkys and end up like Charlton and Sheffield Wed

I was under the impression that RL bought Villa for a good price, Doug had Villa on good financial footing & Milner and co have brought in some good fees too

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 09:32:11 AM »
If Randy sold us next week how much would he get for us?
Would he make a massive loss or break even?  Or even be in profit?

I think he'd struggle to get what he'd need if he sold up.  The net assets of the club are less than under the last year of Ellis due to all the losses we've made.  I haven't got the accounts in front of me, but off the top of my head I guess he'd need to sell for about £200m to break even.

Offline RugbyVilla

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 11:04:45 AM »
If Randy sold Villa next week he would make at least double on his original purchase price but taking into account how much MON spent (wasted), ie near on £200m I guess he would want a bit more if he sold. £65m five years ago was VERY cheap considering how much other clubs have been sold for since.

Randy would only sell to someone who had Villa in their best interests - I think most of the fans would probably want some like the Man City owner but  how many of those guys are there? That would be nice - being able to buy any player they wanted in order to make Villa great again.

Until then, we have to play the game with the majority of the clubs in League.

The bottom line is that club has no money.

Thanks MON.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 11:08:10 AM »
Is this question being asked because you think Randy wants to sell or because you want him to sell ?

Offline jonc73

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 11:15:11 AM »

Thanks MON.

I totally agree MON wasted money on squad players (like Gregory all over again),but we got a good profit on Downing, Milner etc.I don't have the exact figures but we must have recouped a lot of the RL spend?

The main problem Villa has is the wages-that cant have all been down to MON? The current time reminds me of the end of the Ellis era.I can't see anyone matching the Man City backing, so unless the rules change this could be as good as it gets.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 11:37:40 AM »
Is this question being asked because you think Randy wants to sell or because you want him to sell ?
Neither, i was just indulging in a bit of idle speculation.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 11:38:52 AM »
Based on the fact Randy bought the club for c.£65m and has sunk c.£200m in loans since then he'd need to find someone ready to part with almost £300m for him to get his money back.

I can't see it myself.

You have to ask where that money's gone.  Yes, some of it has gone in to infrastructure (Bodymoor, Holte Hotel, etc) but the vast majority has gone on wages on players who aren't at the club anymore.  That money was an investment in building the turnover of the club - mainly via the Champions League.  It didn't pay off and Randy's well down on his investment as a result.

I can't see him selling the club any time soon unless he can't work out how we'll make any money at all - doing so would just crystallise the loss.  Given his stated change in strategy to bring through the youth and cut back the wages the indication is that he plans to run the club as a profit to try to recoup some of his outlay.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 11:39:54 AM »
I asked this question on here last week.The answer is we just don't know.
The only person who does know is Randy and he ain't gonna tell ya.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 11:55:48 AM »

Thanks MON.

I totally agree MON wasted money on squad players (like Gregory all over again),but we got a good profit on Downing, Milner etc.I don't have the exact figures but we must have recouped a lot of the RL spend?

The main problem Villa has is the wages-that cant have all been down to MON? The current time reminds me of the end of the Ellis era.I can't see anyone matching the Man City backing, so unless the rules change this could be as good as it gets.

Randy wants us to be self supporting on wages, who the last but one manager was is irrelevant. Our income doesn't match the teams we want to compete with. That's partly down to smaller crowds and lower prices. Unless we increase revenue we're always going to be in the same boat.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 01:41:54 PM »
Randy wants us to be self supporting on wages,

I know we've had this conversation before, but he wants us to be self supporting - why would he limit this to wages?

The recouping of money through transfers this summer seems to back that up, too.

I can't believe for a moment that he's going to invest large amounts of money and just think "so long as the wage bill is lower, we'll be ok".

Don't get me wrong, I too would prefer him to do that, but I can't see any evidence or anything that they've said which leads me to think he's making a distinction along those lines. In fact, I don't really see how you can do so - expensive players want high wages.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:48:42 PM by pauliewalnuts »

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 02:46:49 PM »
It makes sense to me. He'll invest in the squad but day to day running costs have to met from revenue. It doesn't matter that we recouped transfer fees as if we'd spent it all again we would be back where we started.

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 03:09:53 PM »
Maybe he would just sell a portion of his shares so he is no longer the majority owner. Doesn't he have something like an 89% stake? H

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 03:25:16 PM »
It makes sense to me. He'll invest in the squad but day to day running costs have to met from revenue. It doesn't matter that we recouped transfer fees as if we'd spent it all again we would be back where we started.

That's your interpretation of it, it doesn't mean it's his. I guess we'll know if and when we see some more investment in the squad.

If you put so much pressure on the wage bill, investment in the squad becomes largely pointless anyway, as by and large, you're limited to replacing players who move out of contract with others who will be earning the same or less.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 03:27:59 PM »
Maybe he would just sell a portion of his shares so he is no longer the majority owner. Doesn't he have something like an 89% stake? H

Why would anybody want to invest in a minority share of Aston Villa with the current owner and management team? 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal