collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Herd: perfect MF partner for Petrov?  (Read 30505 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Re: Herd: perfect MF partner for Petrov?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 12:56:52 AM »
Have a feeling that AM has seen enough of Delph and will move him on, has Gardner dropped down the pecking order? i thought he was next in line for a go in midfield.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 01:06:34 AM »
aye. can't see delph getting a look in unless we get clobbered with injuries but again who will buy him? or more realistically, who will buy him without us making a spectacular loss on the deal. Reckon we're running out of options but hopefully Jenas will add something when we finally get him fit.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 01:31:46 AM »
No disrespect to the guy but in an ideal world (or when we had money) he'd be coming on as a sub not starting games
I agree.

Unfortunately, back in the real world he is still our best central midfielder.

Offline Caiphus

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 01:37:36 AM »
I think Herd is very adaptable and will play at the level of those around him rather than control the game.  He seems to have enough though as a combatative midfielder and enough stamina to get up and down the pitch.

Delph will come good, he has had less than 30 appearances in 2 and a bit years and a run of injuries which has made him try too hard to live up to his price tag.  A bit of time in the reserves now to settle down and work on earning another shot will do him good.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2011, 06:38:25 AM »
I don't know what Petrov has to do to get some credit. He was our best player today along with Gabby. He's not the greatest but he scored, assisted and played a major role in our complete domination of the second half. I'd like better, we haven't got it,  he's staying in the side for the foreseeable.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2011, 09:10:28 AM »
I don't know what Petrov has to do to get some credit. He was our best player today along with Gabby. He's not the greatest but he scored, assisted and played a major role in our complete domination of the second half. I'd like better, we haven't got it,  he's staying in the side for the foreseeable.

This.

"Petrov might be a decent player, but the only reason that we're thinking that is because we're shit" is similar to the argument that "A point at Sunderland may be a decent result, but the only reason that we're thinking that is because we're shit". There may be some truth in that, but it doesn't add much to the debate.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2011, 09:13:13 AM »
I thought Herd was pretty good when Sunderland has possession and pretty poor when we had it. Very much like NRC he has to improve his retention of the ball otherwise his ball winiing qualities will count for little.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2011, 10:07:43 AM »

Herd is'nt a bad player in that position.When he plays he gives us more options than any other midfielder than what we have at the moment.With Herd you can any 2 from Bannan/Ireland/Petrov/Delph/Jenas/Gardener. And that is why he should be playing.

For me withJenas and Bannan/Ireland.Petrov does'nt move the ball, or himself, quick enough.

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2011, 10:31:25 AM »

Hard to disagree with this assessment.

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2011, 10:31:34 AM »
I thought Petrov played well yesterday, although when I saw we were playing 4-4-2 I thought he'd struggle. He proved me wrong, with a cracking goal and good all round midfield play. I'm convinced his stamina levels have doubled this season!

That said, I still think we get the most out of him when he plays as part of a midfield three, or as an 'anchorman' where he can provide a link between the defence and the rest. We joke about his sideways passes but he rarely gives the ball away, and is an intelligent player (although towards the end yesterday he just punted one up in the air when he had the time to play a pass and keep us in possession).

Herd did OK, but I don't think we've seen enough to say he's the perfect partner (I thought he did better when he played right-back, to be honest). His passing wasn't great yesterday, but he worked hard enough and closed down players when needed.

I really hope Jenas can get fit and in form quickly, because I reckon a Bannan-Petrov-Jenas midfield three would be very effective.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2011, 11:18:43 AM »
Im still shaking my head that Heskey has been playing in midfield .

Lets hope Herd becomes a good player ,  I was suprised how good he is in  the air .

Offline sg

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2011, 11:48:54 AM »

100% THIS.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2011, 11:58:36 AM »
I would put Ireland for Bannan

Its possibly the best trio we have @ the club

Me too, the guy really does need a GOOD run.

Offline GJH

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »
We had the partner for Petrov - Makoun and Reo Coker. Didn't try hard enough to keep them? or they had more ambition? Dunno?

Petrov holds the midfield together and sometimes you need an experienced player in that position. When he wasn't playing last season it was like a massive hole appeared in the middle of the park. He has his bad days, but so does everyone.

Petrov should be the holding player and have Delph/Bannan playing just in front. Give Gardner a game every now and again.

Jenas - forget him, 3 months into the season and still not fit! He wont play more than 10 games this season.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2011, 01:40:26 PM »
Reo Coker is showing us just what we're missing by the way he's transformed Bolton.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal