collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Diego Carlos by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:23:18 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:18:26 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 09:13:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 09:01:25 PM]

Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:59:43 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 08:51:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Herd: perfect MF partner for Petrov?  (Read 30509 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Herd: perfect MF partner for Petrov?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 08:36:10 PM »
Herd was decent today but I'm not sure he's the long term solution. I'd like to see him over a run of games to see how he develops before making my mind up.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 08:42:03 PM »
We need someone to play in front of the back 4 and control things. Could Stan do that? Has he already tried and failed? Isn't that what Delph was for? Could Clark do that job? Is that why Herd's in? What do Bannan, Ireland add to the team? And what the f**k are we doing playing Heskey in midfield?
Afraid we have a lot of possibles but none of them are better than anyone else.
We also need to play as a unit that moves up and down the field and keeps its shape. We seem to be playing as 11 complete individuals, not a team.

Sorry. Mad, frustrated whinge!
Well, having watched the whole game today I thought that Herd was starting to patrol in front of the back four pretty effectively. I thought that as a consequence of that, Petrov played with more freedom and - interestingly - did not seem to tire as much as he usually does. As someone else said, Petrov may not be everyone's choice but he is the senior player in MF and does lots of unsung effective work.

For me, the bottom line is that McMinge needs to decide what his best 11 is and start committing to them. At the moment the Petrov / Herd combo looks like a compatible matching and so the issue is who else he plays in a MF three. Although Ivanoe did surprisingly okay today, I'd be looking for more creativity; hence BB (BB over Ireland for his commitment; Ireland is a flake IMHO).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 08:43:42 PM by EffDee »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 08:49:41 PM »
Herd isn't good enough in possession, countless times he gave the ball away today. Like Hogg, he'll get found out against the better times in the winter. I'd rather see him get another go at RB as Hutton was bleeding awful for the first goal.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 08:51:45 PM »
Didn't go today so happy to be guided by those who did.
We could see the Herd/Petrov thing working last week with Stan getting forward a lot more than usual, which I think is his "natural" position and where he did so well for Celtic. Then Herd got "sent off" and we know the rest.
I agree EffDee, we need to have a "best" 11 and as solid a midfield as possible, then shuffle/reshuffle from there. I'm prone to go with Delph and perhaps BB; although the latter looks good on the ball I've yet to see him create very much at all! (I wish Ireland would step up to the standard he did a few years ago but that's looking more and more doubtful as he hardly plays and when he does is pretty ineffectual).
January window?
Who? (Heard Carrick mentioned today, but not convinced?)
And what about Jenas? 

Offline Macho Man Randy Savage

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 08:57:28 PM »
I thought Herd was a right back? I really need to get up to speed.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 09:00:04 PM »
Nope, listed as MF on the OS.

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 09:08:21 PM »
He's filled in at RB, an indication of his superb defensive qualities!

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 09:10:26 PM »
The fact that you are discussing a player to partner someone like Petrov demonstrates how low the club is at the moment. Petrov is a distinctly average player. In fact, I'd argue he's part of the problem why we play such boring, slow football a lot of the time.

How about Herd, Clark, Bannan or Gardner? I'd much rather see them.

Petrov for me has never been anything more than average. Played well today but we all know that come january after 50 mins he will be breathing out of his arse again.

This should be heskey's and petrov's last season so i would like to see them used sparingly

Offline Macho Man Randy Savage

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 09:16:10 PM »

I suppose given recent years I should never assume the guy playing at right back is playing in his natural position!

Offline tepavilla

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 10:04:29 PM »
The fact that you are discussing a player to partner someone like Petrov demonstrates how low the club is at the moment. Petrov is a distinctly average player. In fact, I'd argue he's part of the problem why we play such boring, slow football a lot of the time.

Bingo! Petrov is the next biggest (after Mcleish, of course) reason we play propably the most boring football in PL. As a creative (well at least supposed to be one) central midfielder and a captain he should not only be playing intelligent passing football but also to communicate with players around him to keep the formation a compact unit. But no, I don't see any of that from Petrov. By hoisting long balls most of the time (and allowing other players to do that too) instead of trying to play with short passes gives a signal for the rest of the players that not only is it acceptable but a way to go. And what's with his posture?! Every time he gets the ball his posture collapses in a way that it seems he really struggles running with the ball and passing it.
   The club captaincy thing really depresses me since it makes him pretty much untouchable when selecting the starting XI. And since he is just 31 years old and Mcleish is just in his first year of the contract and thus unlikely to depart anytime soon, things are highly unlikely to change at least in a next couple of years I think   :( :(
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:28:20 PM by tepavilla »

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 10:11:59 PM »

I suppose given recent years I should never assume the guy playing at right back is playing in his natural position!
Perhaps it's a very slow, steady move towards the total football we saw played by Holland in the 70s/80s, and more recently Arsenal and Barcelona? Anyhting they can do....;-)

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 11:56:59 PM »
Tepavilla. Have you got a mind of your own. Don't assume everyone hates the manager. Why not give Petrov a chance. He has been a good servant to this club but has been a regular scapegoat with morons.

Offline Gazza1982

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 12:09:35 AM »
Give Petrov a chance ????  How many chances does he need? Yes he scored a great goal today, and at Everton but to analyse his overall effectiveness for us imo he is a major disappointment, too many sideways or long balls, his stamina has always been suspect and I agree with tepavilla he is the main reason we play boring football with little midfield creativity. we need a player like Scott Parker who has the strength but also the imagination.Petrov is an average player at best.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »
If we could combine Herd with Delph we would have an outstanding player.
Herd is full of energy and tackles  very effectively. Needs to learn how best to use the ball he has won but at this stage in his career there is every possibility that he will make it.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 12:55:38 AM »
Petrov's on the way out. No disrespect to the guy but in an ideal world (or when we had money) he'd be coming on as a sub not starting games We'll see how Herd progresses but if he does we should be looking for someone to partner him not petrov

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal