collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by thick_mike
[Today at 05:44:27 PM]

Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 05:42:26 PM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by Demitri_C
[Today at 05:41:09 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Smirker
[Today at 05:38:49 PM]

Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction by LeeB
[Today at 05:19:25 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 05:11:35 PM]

Villa Park by FrankyH
[Today at 05:02:16 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Dave
[Today at 04:51:22 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by thick_mike
[Today at 05:44:27 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by LeeB
[Today at 05:42:55 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 05:42:26 PM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by Demitri_C
[Today at 05:41:09 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 05:39:50 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 05:38:51 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Smirker
[Today at 05:38:49 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by LeeB
[Today at 05:34:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have we seen the last of Mr. Lerner and the General?  (Read 73365 times)

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
Re: Have we seen the last of Mr. Lerner and the General?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 08:24:03 AM »
We could always get a cardboard cut out of him an bring him along to the games. Bit like "where's wally" and place him in different parts of the holte.

I certainly don't think we've seen the last of him or the general.

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 08:38:27 AM »
The absence is worrying and does make the mind consider other scenarios.

The promise of 2006 has been replaced by mediocrity and we seem to be heading down the same also rans avenue as the Browns. Randy seems happy with the Browns in such a position so it follows that he would be happy with the Villa being in the same place.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 08:51:29 AM »
Well I think we will spend another 24m in January........

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 09:07:51 AM »
He hired McLeish and you're still chanting his name? Whatever floats your boat.
Shall we start a thread up about life in Outer Mongolia and see if you still find some reason to bring McLeish into it? You could go for counselling you know.

Offline tim

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 09:13:57 AM »
...he didn't like all the grief he got last year, appointed McCleish to spite us and has then stomped off in a fit of pique.
I really believe that there's truth in that last line. That is certainly the way it seems and I think his interest has taken a large dent as a result. I can't believe he doesn't care - he's a business man and with the potential value of a football club in the league he's hardly going to give it away, but while he owns it and things aren't (to him at least) a disaster, then I think he'll just let it continue for now. Concentrate elsewhere, until he feels the need to jump in again. Or out...

Offline supertom

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 09:24:40 AM »

Yep another desperation splurge to save us from relegation. Only it might not work this time!

The biggest worry I have now, is that with all the money spunked on hiring and firing managers of late, that we can't afford to fuck McLeish off if things get worse, and even if we could just about scrape the pennies to get rid, we'd then not be able to afford a decent manager, though personally I'd be willing to give Sid a pop. Can't be any worse than McLeish. We might start passing t'fucking ball.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 10:52:28 AM »
I just want to see Randy at a game.

That would be cruel. We are fans so we can suffer. He is a billionaire so he doesn't need to suffer!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 11:03:32 AM »
I hope he comes back soon because seeing him at Villa Park again will lift everybody I just think he has a busy life at the moment but we will see him again.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 11:07:35 AM »
Yep another desperation splurge to save us from relegation. Only it might not work this time!.........

Without wanting to start a January transfer window thread I think the only signing we'll make in January will be Enda Stephens. Last season we needed a goal scorer - easy to identify and, with the players we had to provide service, relatively easy to prise away. This season we all know we need a dominant midfielder. I can't think of who that might be off hand, we'll find it hard to attract anyone special, and we've probably got very little money to spend anyway. I think we're stuck with what we've got this season.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 01:13:48 PM »
They told us repeatedly that they were here through the thick and thin.

It's really, really disappointing to see that, with the first sign of prolonged "thin", they disappear off the face of the earth.

Unfortunately, that makes all the previous communication look like it was aimed at making their own lives easier, as as soon as that stopped, they were gone.

That to me - the making all the previous good work look hollow - should be something they'd want to avoid, even if they were planning to disappear from view.

The fact they clearly weren't bothered about this suggests to me that they simply do not care any more. Combine that with the fact it looks like we're effectively being run by email and set up to coast along, and it is all desperately disappointing and about as far from "Proud History, Bright Future" as you can get.

As for the stick he got last year, anyone who fancies themselves as the owner of sports clubs / franchises for a living needs to have an exceptionally thick skin. If that was enough to make him totally disengage (and I'd hate to see what kind of stick he's had from Browns fans over the years), then maybe he needs to look at a different way of making a living, one where he won't find himself in situations like this.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 02:35:20 PM »
Isn't General Krulak now a headteacher or something somewhere?

It's a good job Faulkner the many football men on the board know what they're doing isn't it?

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 04:24:09 PM »
what would it take to get us the feelgood feeling again (apart from 5 back to back wins)

I remember the signings of Ash, Milner, Carew, Delph and Friedel really felt like we were going places.

Who now would you give you that same feeling ? Say 50 million for 4 players - its what we used to spend

Offline ez

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 08:45:25 PM »
Imagine if we got to the FA cup final, would he come out of hiding then? We're unlikely to find out i know.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 12:09:27 AM »
We have gone from being an exciting opportunity to a business/ financial problem.RL was an absantee Landlord when the problems with MON developed, he is now even more remote. RL has financial problems AVFC is not on top of his To Do list.
So we have to wait and hope.
One thing you hope is that he does understand that the value of his investment is predicated by PL status. It will be interesting to see what he does in January.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 03:36:54 AM »
Hang on, he's got a tattoo. People with tattoos aren't idiotic, prone impulsiveness and decisions they later regret...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal