collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Woodward  (Read 13614 times)

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
Re: John Woodward
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 06:35:55 PM »
As Alex is few years behind my time. How good is he compared to say Gordon Sidney Cowans.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
season 66-67
Vila brought John Woodward to replace Hateley.
Woodward was a devil-may-care trier and quickly became a fans’ favourite when he scored two goals against Leeds – one a risk-taking diving header – in his first Villa Park match, but injury stopped him in his tracks the following week (against Sandwell) and he did not play again that season.
There was something about Woodward that was similar to the much later arrival Andy Gray in the way he would throw himself at the ball regardless of danger to himself, but his injury snuffed out that promise too quickly.

Remember that goal, was down at the front in the centre of the goal

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 07:58:18 PM »
As Alex is few years behind my time. How good is he compared to say Gordon Sidney Cowans.

When Cowans came through it struck me that something from Cropley must have rubbed off on him. Both of them tackled way over their weight, brave as hell, and both quality on the ball. Cropley was a bit harder, and a bit less talented than Sid.

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 10:22:51 PM »
As nico2708 states above, after a cracking game (his second) at home to Leeds, scoring two goals, John Woodward was injured the very next week, Saturday 15th October 1966, away at West Brom - this was my very first Villa away game! Woodward was injured in the 35th minute and was substituted by Dave Rudge. We lost the game 2-1 with their first goal being highly disputed as it was felt the ball had crossed the touch-line for a goal kick before Jeff Astle scored. This match followed a 6-1 trouncing by the Baggies at the Hawthorns in mid-September, in the League Cup. We did get some revenge by beating them 3-2 at Villa Park in the return league game on 5th November - I was also at that game.

Contrary to what it says in Tony Matthews' book, Who's Who of Aston Villa, where he states 'he suffered a severe ankle injury during a game against WBA' the actual injury suffered was a severe knee ligament injury, with Woodward's knee being in plaster for a while, and he did not play for the first team again until mid-December 1967 - at home to Norwich and he scored - thus was out for fourteen months. Tony being an Albion fan could account for his memory loss!

John Woodward went on to make a further twenty-four appearances, including four as substitute, over the next twelve months or so, his last game being a substitute appearance at home to Norwich City on 21st December, 1968, which was Tommy Docherty's first game as manager. He was then out of the team, moving to Walsall on a free transfer in May 1969.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 04:42:22 AM »
John Woodward scored the winner in the first Villa victory I ever saw, 1-0 at home to Boro, in 1968. I can remember his name, picture the programme and recall being in the Trinity enclosure, but I don't think I have ever seen his photo.

Offline Zhong Yi

• Let's All Have A Disco....la la la la
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 05:16:26 AM »

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 07:05:29 AM »
I had just started watching Villa in 1966.  Tony Hateley beacame my firm favourite but within weeks we had sold him to Chelsea for £100k. John Woodward had been signed as his replacement for £30k from Stoke but as mentioned already the Albion crocked him before he could even get going.
We had nobody to score the goals and had to rely on Lew Chatterley playing up front and a few from Johnny Macleod on the wing. Barry Stobart was signed later in the season but it was all too little too late.
The Villa were a not a good team then but who knows how many goals Woodward may have scored that season, enough to keep us up ?
Fans who go back further will also remind you how Albion sent the Villa down in 1959 with Ronnie Allen scoring two minutes from time in the final game of the season.

One day I hope we can send those Albion bastards down.

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 08:08:04 AM »
John Woodward scored the winner in the first Villa victory I ever saw, 1-0 at home to Boro, in 1968. I can remember his name, picture the programme and recall being in the Trinity enclosure, but I don't think I have ever seen his photo.

2nd row down,4th from the right.
A bearded woody, not sure when.

Woody with moustache on the left, training at the magnificent Fellows Park arena with Alan Deakin.

Offline Bernie

• king of celebrity deathwatch
  • GM : 30.01.2025
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 06:13:58 PM »
Great photos, ALita. The bearded Woody looks a troubled character doesn't he? Love the team photo too, they all look so optimistic- little did they know.....
And what was Charlie Aitken looking at?- there must be a caption competition in there somewhere!

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 07:27:26 AM »
And what was Charlie Aitken looking at?- there must be a caption competition in there somewhere!

Charlie is saying "I wonder if the gaffer realises Tommy Docherty is over there with that bloke Doug whatsername who used to be at Birmingham City ?"
OR "What a beautiful stand, that will be there for a 100 years"

Offline ilott

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 10:19:26 AM »
Thinking about John Woodward and that era reminds me that my first match at Villa Park was on 3rd December 1966 when we beat the eventual champions Man Utd 2-1 but went on to be relegated. I'll be at Villa Park on December 3rd 2011when we play United again. Let's hope it's not an omen.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 10:33:42 AM »

Cropley was a bit harder, and a bit less talented than Sid.

That's exactly how I would have summed it up.

Offline duncan

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 01:20:27 PM »
Thinking about John Woodward and that era reminds me that my first match at Villa Park was on 3rd December 1966 when we beat the eventual champions Man Utd 2-1 but went on to be relegated. I'll be at Villa Park on December 3rd 2011when we play United again. Let's hope it's not an omen.

Stay away!! you're clearly some sort of Jonah!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal