collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Don't panic - yet  (Read 8424 times)

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
Re: Don't panic - yet
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 09:09:25 PM »
Good read that pretty much sums it up for me.
A good team is one that responds well to adversity....we were shit in that department on Saturday.

I live in hope for the next game.....as always!

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 09:45:56 PM »
Good succinct  piece Kevin. Of course you have copied every thing I posted in the post match thread! ;)

Offline Merv

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 09:34:46 AM »
The comments. What does "give us our club back" mean? When have 'we' ever owned 'our' club?

Yeah, agree that was an odd one. Not entirely sure why the guy was pleading with Santa to give us the club back... most of the comments so far have been pretty good but I've noticed a few now taking on a 'Lerner out' stance.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 09:38:53 AM »
The comments. What does "give us our club back" mean? When have 'we' ever owned 'our' club?

Yeah, agree that was an odd one. Not entirely sure why the guy was pleading with Santa to give us the club back... most of the comments so far have been pretty good but I've noticed a few now taking on a 'Lerner out' stance.

Its more frustration than anything else, its like being shown a pile of chrismas presents under the tree on christmas morning, being made to turn around and when you turn back they are gone...

Most Lerner out sentiments are being aired out of frustration and a lack of any input / guidance on the clubs future from the board

Offline Merv

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 09:48:24 AM »
You need a shave. Other than that, very well written. Would be good if you could re-post here if they will let you.

I also need to stop grinning like an idiot in pictures!

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 12:03:32 PM »

It is exactly the same as when people say 'Get out of my country!'

'Oh, your country is it? Have you got a proof of purchase?'

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 12:49:29 PM »
don't panic yet? A lot of people were panicing before this managerial appointment was made. A lack luster summer, best players going, and the obvious 'tightening of the belt' means that panic is the only button to press for some.

I am holding out for some sort of positive from this era, as I always do. I'm probably blind, and/or very naive. But no matter what we get from Aston Villa, it always ends in tears.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »
For some of our supporters 'panic' is the default mode.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 02:58:17 PM »
Not sure I agree with the point about being a man down not making a difference at set pieces. Herd got sent off in a tangle with Olssen at a set piece so it was clearly "his man". When you lose a player the plans you made before the game for dealing with those situations are disrupted. They still should have done better but it's wrong to say it makes no difference.

We've now conceded 4 from corners in 2 games but prior to that we'd defended them very well. Let's hope it's just a weird blip and not a return to the bad old ways of last season.

Offline Merv

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 03:51:14 PM »
I see your point, Chris, which in a way comes round to my point: we reacted poorly to being a man down. When you're down to ten men, the opposition should be able to hurt you in open play, by pushing you into 2 v 1 situations and using their numerical advantage.

Set pieces... although Herd was marking Olsson at set pieces up until his dismissal, it really should have been easy enough to re-organise the defence to delegate Herd's marking duties to someone else. We should have done that... I don't think being a man down could be used as an excuse to concede two from set pieces. As you say, we've looked vulnerable in those situations in the past couple of weeks.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 04:21:53 PM »
Even with Dunne and Collins, as well as the very experienced Given, we don't seem to be able to dominate at set pieces which we did so well two seasons ago. We just seem so lacksadaisical when the ball is chucked in and sides with big players must love putting us under pressure. It seems to have become a well-known weakness of ours that far too many teams capitalise on when they play us. eg Stoke: when Delap went to take the throw in last game against them you just knew Kenwyn Jones was gonna nod it in. And guess what?
If we can see it in the offing why can't the pro's?
Am I being too simplistic?
Is it something we can't plan for?

Offline Tony Boucher

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 12:30:22 PM »
Very good article that - pretty much reflecting my own thoughts, but in an articulate manner.  However your topic heading did call to mind a Simpsons quote:

Kent Brockman: So, professor, would you say it's time for everyone to panic?
Professor: Yes I would, Kent.

And another one for good luck:

Kent Brockman: Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?"
Professor: Yes I would, Kent

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 12:50:46 PM »
Good article

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 03:38:15 PM »
Someone pointed this out to me earlier

Aston Villa's results this season and Birmingham City's results against the same teams last season.

Sunderland 2 v 2 Aston Villa
Sunderland 2 v 2 Birmingham City

Aston Villa 1 v 2 West Brom
Birmingham City 1 v 3 West Brom

Man City 4 v 1 Aston Villa
Man City 0 v 0 Blues

Everton 2 v 2 Aston Villa
Everton 1 v 1 Birmingham City

Aston Villa 0 v 0 Wolves
Birmingham City 1 v 1 Wolves

Aston Villa 3 v 1 Blackburn
Birmingham City 2 v 1 V Blackburn

Fulham 0 v 0 Aston Villa
Fulham 1 v 1 Birmingham City

Blues were 1 point better off

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 04:10:56 PM »
Aston Villa 2 - 0 Wigan
Birmingham 0 - 0 Wigan

So they were actually worse off than we are.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal