collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Olympic international friendlies to be held at Villa Park?  (Read 8581 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Olympic international friendlies to be held at Villa Park?
« on: October 26, 2011, 05:47:59 PM »
Not sure where best to put this.

Double-bill

London 2012: FA ponders Team GB Olympic celebration games

The FA is mulling a top level double-bill to celebrate Britain's return to Olympic football after 40 years.

The men's and women's teams would play international friendlies at the same venue on the same day next July.

Olympic rules state friendlies cannot be played at London 2012 venues, ruling out Wembley, Old Trafford, St James' Park, Hampden Park, City of Coventry stadium, and the Millennium Stadium.

Villa Park in Birmingham is seen as a strong contender for the fixtures.

The ground is no stranger to high-profile fixtures as it was used in the Euro 96 championships and hosted an FA Cup semi-final as recently as 2007.

Munich knock-out

London 2012 will see the women's team making their Olympic debut with the men competing for the first time since Munich 1972, when they were knocked out in the group stages.

July's double-header would be one of two pre-tournament friendlies for both teams, which are being organised by the FA on behalf of the British Olympic Association, and would be played shortly before the start of the Games on 27 July.

London 2012's football tournament starts on 25 July, two days before the Opening Ceremony, with two women's preliminary games at the Millennium Stadium. The women's final will be played on 9 August at Wembley, where the men's final takes place two days later.

The FA sees the Olympics as a chance to boost the profile of women's football, and the double-header friendly fixtures would be a great opportunity to engage a wider audience for the sport.

Hope Powell, appointed last week to manage the women's team, hopes the Games will lead to a rise in popularity in the women's game in the home nations.

"I'm delighted to be in the position to be able to take a team into such an illustrious tournament, I just wish it were starting tomorrow," she said on the day of her appointment.

Powell has led England's women for 13 years and to four successive major finals, including Euro 2005 on home soil.

Former England defender Stuart Pearce was named as the men's manager, and he called on Scottish, Northern Irish and Welsh Football Associations to make their players available for London 2012.

The Wales and Scottish Football Associations have reiterated their opposition to a British team as they feel it threatens their independence as football nations.

The 18-strong men's squads must contain 15 players who were born on, or after, 1 January 1989 - but three players can be older. There are no age limits for the women's selections.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Olympic international friendlies to be held at Villa Park?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 05:56:29 PM »
I was listening to an interview with Gordon Strachan, possibly on MOTD2, and they asked him who should be in the squad (or something or other).  His response was "who cares, I do not think that we should take part".

I initially thought, you miserable jock, but then thought through his point.  Do we really want mega-rich footballers such as Beckham and Rooney steeling the limelight from an unknown olympian who has spent the best part of 8 years training.  This is THEIR moment, not another opportunity for our prima-donna footballers to write another book.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 06:02:24 PM »
I was listening to an interview with Gordon Strachan, possibly on MOTD2, and they asked him who should be in the squad (or something or other).  His response was "who cares, I do not think that we should take part".

I initially thought, you miserable jock, but then thought through his point.  Do we really want mega-rich footballers such as Beckham and Rooney steeling the limelight from an unknown olympian who has spent the best part of 8 years training.  This is THEIR moment, not another opportunity for our prima-donna footballers to write another book.

I would be amazed if Rooney risks injury for a kickabout he isn't getting paid for.

Offline Rich6by7

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 06:30:49 PM »
It's always been my view that if an Olympic gold medal isn't the pinnacle of achievement in the sport, then it shouldn't be at the Olympics. Football, tennis and basketball have no place in the Olympics for me. I certainly won't be watching them next year, I'll be watching athletics, cycling etc, while only grumbling slightly that I wasn't among the chosen few to get tickets (not that I could afford the ones I applied for anyway, but that's another story).

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 07:04:16 PM »
Strachan's "who cares" comment was spot on.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 08:59:10 PM »
Agreed. Football has no use for the Olympics, its already the biggest sport in the World by miles. Kick it out and replace with Twenty20 cricket.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 09:11:30 PM »

I would be amazed if Rooney risks injury for a kickabout he isn't getting paid for.

You're probably right Dave, the reason I threw him in as an example was because he was recently on the back page declaring via a huge headline that he wanted to play.  I'd also be pretty pissed off if taxpayer money was spent on getting him insured.

There is also the Euro 2012 next year so the whole Team GB thing could be a bit meh.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:18:05 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline Handsworth Wood Villa

• TRS-T
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 09:13:23 PM »
I hope this is true.

Would be great to see Team GB playing in Birmingham.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 09:25:52 PM »
If you want to cheer the British team onto victory I suggest buying tickets for the velodrome or the wet pitch*.

* this is the technical term I've invented for the bits where they do sailing and rowing.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 09:27:10 PM »
Olympic World Cup football is a grotesque money making abomination. I shall not be lining the pockets of the Olympic Committee moneymen.

• TRS-T
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 09:40:18 PM »
If you want to cheer the British team onto victory I suggest buying tickets for the velodrome or the wet pitch*.

* this is the technical term I've invented for the bits where they do sailing and rowing.

Or hopefully Villa Park.

Although it would only be a friendly and not an actual Olympic football match...

Offline Mark Samuels

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 10:04:05 PM »
Didn't we pass up the opportunity to be an Olympic venue to complete ground redevelopments (which, presumably, are no longer going to take place)?

So, that's pre-Olympics matches - instead of being an Olympic venue - for a tournament that most people on here seem to think shouldn't even find a place for football. Forgive me while I don't get too excited (winky face emoticon).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:06:02 PM by Mark Samuels »

• TRS-T
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 10:21:19 PM »
Didn't we pass up the opportunity to be an Olympic venue to complete ground redevelopments (which, presumably, are no longer going to take place)?

So, that's pre-Olympics matches - instead of being an Olympic venue - for a tournament that most people on here seem to think shouldn't even find a place for football. Forgive me while I don't get too excited (winky face emoticon).

Yeah but if this happens, we would actually get to see Team GB playing at Villa Park.

This wouldn't have happened if we were an Olympic football venue.

Offline nuninho

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 11:58:52 PM »
Going off topic, prompted by the thought that the GB Team will mostly be U21's from England.

When was the last time the Midlands hosted a U21 game? 

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 10:20:15 AM »
Going off topic, prompted by the thought that the GB Team will mostly be U21's from England.
I was just thinking about the ages. I think all but three of the squad have to be under 23.

And I'm another who thinks Rooney won't be arsed because it won't help his bank balance.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal