collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by AV84
[Today at 07:29:21 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 07:28:00 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Toronto Villa
[Today at 07:22:55 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 07:22:44 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Smirker
[Today at 07:22:25 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:10:10 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Si
[Today at 07:09:29 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Herd's red card appeal successful!  (Read 20411 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Herd's red card appeal successful!
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2011, 06:08:01 PM »
Not being funny but...Herd gets his red card rescinded which is an open acknowledgement that the assistant referee was wrong.
But in this day and age, with so much money riding on final league positions should there not be recourse for getting the game replayed?
So how far do you go with that?

Let's say Herd hadn't been sent off and we had gone on to win the game - should Albion have recourse for the game being replayed because Hutton wasn't sent off?

How about a marginal offside decision? A foul that would have led to a penalty which may or may not have been scored?

So no, there shouldn't be any recourse to have the game replayed at all.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2011, 06:49:32 PM »
I'm waiting for a club to sue a referee for loss of income due to a wrong decision.

Offline rutski

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »
Not being funny but...Herd gets his red card rescinded which is an open acknowledgement that the assistant referee was wrong.
But in this day and age, with so much money riding on final league positions should there not be recourse for getting the game replayed?

We lost up to three points based on that ridiculous decision and we just have to accept it even though the decision-makers bosses ruled they were wrong.

At the very least, the assistant and Dowd should be made run 20 laps around Villa Park naked while Sister Assumpta from Father Ted whips them with a shitty stick.
I dont think we lost the points based on that decision. Rather than castigate the referee, who got more than one decision wrong at the weekend, perhaps we should be more concerned at the piss poor reactions and performance of our players, and perhaps manager too, after the sending off. The spineless display upset and shocked me much more than the sending off.
would you have been more pissed off with champions league finalists concession of 5 in 40 minutes?

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2011, 07:00:15 PM »

The scary thing is - how long until some club demands just that?

Probably Liverpool   

Offline glasses

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2011, 08:40:01 PM »

We lost up to three points based on that ridiculous decision and we just have to accept it even though the decision-makers bosses ruled they were wrong.

At the very least, the assistant and Dowd should be made run 20 laps around Villa Park naked while Sister Assumpta from Father Ted whips them with a shitty stick.
I dont think we lost the points based on that decision. Rather than castigate the referee, who got more than one decision wrong at the weekend, perhaps we should be more concerned at the piss poor reactions and performance of our players, and perhaps manager too, after the sending off. The spineless display upset and shocked me much more than the sending off.
would you have been more pissed off with champions league finalists concession of 5 in 40 minutes?
Well, that's beside the point for a few reasons. The first being that we were in the lead when Herd was sent off, so had a lead to defend. Also, Manchester City are far and away better than West Brom. Thirdly, I couldn't give a flying fuck about Manchester United. 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2011, 09:25:37 PM »
So how far do you go with that?

Let's say Herd hadn't been sent off and we had gone on to win the game - should Albion have recourse for the game being replayed because Hutton wasn't sent off?

How about a marginal offside decision? A foul that would have led to a penalty which may or may not have been scored?

So no, there shouldn't be any recourse to have the game replayed at all.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.
My preference would be for the introduction of a video referee along with goal line technology.
It just strikes me as peculiar that in this day and age with all the money involved in the game a club just accepts a costly wrong decision and that's the end of it.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2011, 11:14:35 PM »
They'll accept a costly defensive error or a striker missing an open-goal.

I don't see why a referee's mistake is that different. It was annoying that we lost with a large part of it being down to bad officiating, but that's life.

At some point we'll benefit from a bad decision in our favour and we'll get on with thing in that situation as well.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2011, 12:25:26 AM »
entering the realms of 2nd sight really. Say they had video appeals on the spot for bookings , you could probably guarantee Herd would have stayed on, but would we have been guaranteed to win or draw? Hutton could have gone off if the ref had a 2nd chance to see it. Again, who knows if we would have played better with Hutton off and Herd on? First thing AM may have done was take Herd off to re-organise things if Hutton had got a red - Probably bringing on Ivanhoe to play in defence :0)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2011, 09:52:30 AM »
The officials got the decision wrong, we all knew that at the time and have now had it confirmed.  But we shouldn't be crying about like little school girls, or Liverpool fans, nearly a week after.

It's gone.  Lets just concentrate on beating Sunderland.

Offline sidcowans10

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2011, 09:57:39 AM »
I wouldn't want any games replayed. West Brom would win by more next time

Offline MarkM

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2011, 10:21:53 AM »
I wrote an article for H&V a few years ago about what should be done with refs, my opinion then was that nothing should be done and that the system works relatively ok.

My view now has not changed much, I am in favour of goal line technology, but that its it. Everything else should be left alone.

I think we can spend allot of time and effort castigating refs / linespeople [PC or what] when we should be focusing on the players and managers....

Thier are 22 players on the pitch who are all trying to some degeee or another to bend / break the rules, pulling shirts, pushing and shoving, out and out cheating by diving or clutching the face when the ball hit there leg! and generally trying to influence the ref by winging onto him all through the game.

Then there are the managers pre and post match comments and complaints not to mention us the fans who all try to influence the desition to go our way [how many throws etc... have we screamed for knowing all to well that its not ours!]

So I think that all in all the officials do a pretty good job of it, yes they make mistakes but thats part of what makes football unpredictable and exciting

Just my view

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »

Spot on there mate

Offline NeilH

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2011, 10:35:05 AM »

Spot on there mate

Seconded. The players clearly believed the decision to be unjust, but instead of reacting to it they simply folded. How many times have you seen 10 men outplay 11? In fact only 24 hours after the West Brom debacle I watched a 10 men Ajax tear Feyenoord a new arsehole for nearly 40 minutes in the derby.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2011, 10:37:54 AM »
They'll accept a costly defensive error or a striker missing an open-goal.

I don't see why a referee's mistake is that different. It was annoying that we lost with a large part of it being down to bad officiating, but that's life.

Agreed.

For some reason I'm reminded of the story I think Ian St John used to tell about when he was fouled from behind in the box, only to recover his footing and blaze over the bar, he turned to the ref to appeal for a penalty only to be told.

'If you cant score from six yards son, you've got no chance from twelve'

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal