collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: If We Had More Money Than Citeh.  (Read 8773 times)

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
If We Had More Money Than Citeh.
« on: October 25, 2011, 01:33:16 AM »
I know it's purely hypothetical, but given the number of ' Randy is looking to sell' and 'Randy out' type posts just recently I thought it might be interesting to see which way this one goes.
For me the answer is no. There's no way I'd want to see our great club with all it's history, becoming part of the problem that is modern football.
I honestly don't think I would take any enjoyment out of winning any trophy if I knew that the only reason we won it was because of our buying power.
Look back at the most successful side we produced  in the twentieth century. The Saunders/Barton squad was made up of reasonably priced players, other clubs cast offs and home grown talent.
That's what gives me pride in our club, not this incessant clamour for instant success.   

Offline luke25

Re: If We Had More Money Than Citeh.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 03:12:49 AM »
It would feel pretty hollow to be honest, having said that, if the alternative is the turgid, dross that were serving up at the moment were by our only objective is to survive, then bring on the £.

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »
I'm not going to lie, I'd love it. I think Lerner has done a great job and I'm really pleased with the majority of what he's done at the club, but the sad fact is that the only way to really compete at the top these days is to have an insanely rich owner. Lerner may be rich, just not rich enough.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 08:31:52 AM »
Much as I want success it would be at the price of selling the soul of the club. The way the media fawns over citeh, manure, Chelsea etc. that's not for me.

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:38:26 AM »
Ah, the classic Faustian pact. A firm 'ظ. لا, أبدا ' from me.

Arabic for 'No'
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:40:15 AM by Mr Diggles »

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:43:31 AM »
The chance to see the talents of the likes of Silva play for us.Being able to hold onto our best players rather than see them sold when they are hitting their peak and actually going into a season believing that we can compete for silverware.I'd love it.

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:51:07 AM »
To be honest I find the level of wealth at Villa at the moment more than a little unpalatable in relative size to most other clubs, and indeed most other walks of life. So the thought of increasing that by 10 or 100 times honestly and completely leaves me cold.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 08:57:25 AM »
To be honest I find the level of wealth at Villa at the moment more than a little unpalatable in relative size to most other clubs, and indeed most other walks of life. So the thought of increasing that by 10 or 100 times honestly and completely leaves me cold.

It really doesn't bother me.Sure there are players getting in one week what i'd consider to be a great salary, but that's just the way it is.If we didn't pay the big wages then we wouldn't have the likes of Bent and Given in the squad and judging by the way the tranfer window threads on this site alone go mental the fans want the best available.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 09:25:27 AM »
All I can say is I've not enjoyed my last few trips to villa park - those being Bolton Newcastle and Albion. For me to not enjoy one Of the few things I genuinely love in life makes me sad. For this reason I'd say yes. I don't want to be like city tho, parity with Liverpool arsenal spurs etc would do me. Champs league hopes and the odd cup final was enough for me to really enjoy football

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 09:39:10 AM »
It's a no from me.

Online johnc

• GM : 15.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 09:41:59 AM »
The problem being here that it is impossible to have more money than Man. City. They are owned by a family who make the Russian oligarchs look like paupers. None of the other Middle Eastern despots come within a country mile of their wealth.
City have brought this rich owner process to its ultimate conclusion, the question now is what will happen next? A european super league. 20 top clubs pull up the trapdoor and share out all the TV money and the rest of us are left playing matches that will be shown on Sky 6 or 7 on a Tuesday or Thursday to pad out the real competitions where Man City and that crowd from Chechyna battle it out for the Champs league of 2020.

Would I like Villa to have this money? I dont honestly know? As for losing the soul of the club I fear we are a long way down that road already, maybe too far

Would I like to beat Man Utd 1-6 at Old Trafford and have my children watching David Silva as opposed to Jermaine Jenas ............I'd Fkng love it

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 10:04:19 AM »
I don't know, either way I have been priced out of the game.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 10:20:59 AM »
I think I would rather have rules put into football that genuinely level the playing field.  A salary cap and wage cap football-wide, making the game a genuine competition based on skill, wits, intelligence and local pride would be brilliant. That would do for me.

The system in its present state where you can quite literally buy success (and its been like this for a long time, steadily becoming more and more absurd) makes an absolute mockery of the term "sport".  Relying on a richer owner to come along and gazump the current richest owners in the game would supply a short term fix of excitement for me but, ultimately, it would all become pretty stale and hollow.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 10:40:14 AM »
Yes yes YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

it makes me sick to say it but having a millionaire owner isnt enough these days. Im sick of best players leaving as soon as they get a whiff of ginger

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 10:48:23 AM »
I'm a Villa fan.  I want Villa to win matches and trophies.  So a big 'yes' from me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal