collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Lambert confirmed as new manager (reply #544)  (Read 266081 times)

Offline Archie

Paul Lambert confirmed as new manager (reply #544)
« on: October 23, 2011, 05:33:43 PM »
Having a soft spot for  Norwich City since the early 90's, when they beat Bayern Munich and played against Inter Milan in Uefa Cup, I follow them and I had the occasion to appreciate the job that their manager Paul Lambert did since his arrival in Norfolk two years ago, after his former team, Colchester hammered Norwich for 7-1 at Carrow Road at the beginning of the season in League One.

In 2 years Paul Lambert  gained two promotions and this season, with a budget that will be 1/100 of the Villa's, and after changing 9/11 of the last season's starting XI, his  team is playing an entertaining, attacking, passing football, and is ahead of us in the table.

Yesterday the Canaries were a bit lucky but also heroic at Anfield.

All their players are youngsters coming from the lowest divisions and they're doing very well with players that proved to be more than ready for the Premier League, like the amazing left winger Pilkington, the gifted left back Tierney, the reliable defender Russel Martin (that can play either full back or central defenders), or two solid players like midfielder Fox and central forward Morison.

At the end of the last season, I had written that I'd like Lambert as new Villa manager, and now I'm still convinced that he'd be the right man for the job. 

I'm actually convinced that Paul Lambert has perfectly understood  how to stay in Premier without  a great budget:
- 1: you must convince 22 milionaires that you go nowhere in football without a great team spirit;
- 2: you should avoid to appoint a manager that only knows defensive tactics, that he's determined  to play winger an old central forward, and that keeps on the bench one of your best youngsters;
- 3: instead of spending 10 mln pounds for an average French winger, invest on  two young, motivated, not overpaid wingers, that can run on the flanks for 90 minutes, dribble and cross;
- 4: be sure to have in the team one reliable striker that can sub from the bench and score with a header like in the good old times of English football;
- 5:  don't bring or keep  in the team old, average, overpaid defenders, that are unable to find a passage of more than 5 yards, that concede 1 or 2 goal to their opponents every game, and that in 3 years still haven't understood how to defend on set pieces.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:22:07 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
Re: 1% Villa (at the moment): Paul Lambert
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 05:50:19 PM »
He was my first choice to come here in the summer.

Offline Compass

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 06:06:24 PM »
Until Randy Lerner and his useless work men leave this club, then we will never see a good manager at this club again. Firstly, I'd doubt they would even sack McLeish if he finished us 17th because they're too arrogant to admit they made the wrong choice. Plus it would be absoutely pathetic we paid compensation to get rid of Houllier to make way for McLeish who we had to pay for only to sack him with more money down the drain where we could have bought 2-3 quality players.  And even by some miracle our shit manager does fuck off, the board will hire probably someone even worse.

I agree Paul Lambert would have been a very fine choice. But the board have wet dreams about Premier League experience so he was never gonna come here. Instead, they would prefer to have a safe man with  has 2 Premier League relegations on his C.V. As long he has the 'experience'.

Another good one would be Gus Poyet. Some who's young and knows the modern game. Not the stale useless scotsman we have now.

So yeah, the only we can start a fresh is to get rid of the board. Until then, it's gonna get worse.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 06:13:59 PM »
I was hoping for Lambert after GH went, i think he could go on to be a top manager over the next 10-15 years.
He was doing a great job at Colchester United before the canaries took him, i remember they hired him just after Colly went to Carrow Rd and won by about six goals.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 06:16:57 PM »
I was hoping for Lambert after GH went, i think he could go on to be a top manager over the next 10-15 years.
He was doing a great job at Colchester United before the canaries took him, i remember they hired him just after Colly went to Carrow Rd and won by about six goals.

He then went back to Colchester with Norwich later that season and battered them, almost as if to prove that he was the sole difference between the two results. Not saying he was, but it looks impressive.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 06:18:34 PM »
I was certainly an advocate of trying to get Lambert after Houllier but we were never going to get him last summer as he'd just got Norwich promoted and had signed a new contract even before that if I recall correctly.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 06:27:49 PM »
I can't see us giving it a go at Old Trafford and Anfield like Norwich have done,even with our superior squad. Dread to think how Mccleish would get the Norwich team to play,they'd probably be pointless now.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 06:33:59 PM »
This time last year it was Blackpool who were getting all the praise, before that Hull. Wait and see where they are in a few months before proclaiming him the next big thing.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 06:59:51 PM »
This time last year it was Blackpool who were getting all the praise, before that Hull. Wait and see where they are in a few months before proclaiming him the next big thing.

Of course you're right Chris and I'm not suggesting that he should replace McLeish or anything like that, however whilst reading about him previously I am impressed by his inventiveness and studious approach to management, especially compared to someone like Ince or Shearer.  For example he choose to do all his badges in Germany rather that in the UK as he thought their systems etc are better.

Alex Ferguson also used to rave about Solskjaer as he was supposed to be a right football nerd so it'll be interesting to see how he does if he gets the Portsmouth gig.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 07:16:55 PM »
Chris makes a good point, in that it is far too early to be handing out garlands for the likes of Lambert, however, had I been given the choice earlier this summer of AM or Lambert or even Gus Poyet, it would have been a difficult choice.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 07:22:56 PM »
Norwich look far better organised than Blackpool did last season, and what we do this season.

Offline Compass

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 07:29:04 PM »
I wouldn't say it's too early. Norwich has had back to back promotions under him. They're currently sitting top half of the table. His team can pass well, look very structured and composed. They actually look too good to go down under his tactics. Great manager.

I'm not looking forward to playing them at all. I think this will be the game where every self respecting Vlla fan will want McLeish out ASAP when Lambert's team get a comfortable win at Villa Park.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 07:33:43 PM »

Of course you're right Chris and I'm not suggesting that he should replace McLeish or anything like that, however whilst reading about him previously I am impressed by his inventiveness and studious approach to management, especially compared to someone like Ince or Shearer.  For example he choose to do all his badges in Germany rather that in the UK as he thought their systems etc are better.

Alex Ferguson also used to rave about Solskjaer as he was supposed to be a right football nerd so it'll be interesting to see how he does if he gets the Portsmouth gig.

He strikes me as a bright and thoughtful man so I'm by no means dismissing him just not getting carried away just yet.

He played in a successful Dortmund team (first British player to win Champions League) so always stood out as a different to the run of the mill player who follow a more predictable career route.

Definitely one to watch.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 07:37:11 PM »
I wouldn't say it's too early. Norwich has had back to back promotions under him. They're currently sitting top half of the table. His team can pass well, look very structured and composed. They actually look too good to go down under his tactics. Great manager.

I'm not looking forward to playing them at all. I think this will be the game where every self respecting Vlla fan will want McLeish out ASAP when Lambert's team get a comfortable win at Villa Park.

Are you incapable of posting without droning on about wanting McLeish out?

You seem to actively want us to lose games.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 07:40:06 PM »
That's true,but two promotions in two years,while trying to play positive football is pretty impressive. Most of us on here in the summer wouldve preferred us to take a chance on him than the meat and two veg football of Mccleish.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal