collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:35:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:39 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:30:00 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by brontebilly
[Today at 12:27:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[Today at 12:00:15 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[April 16, 2024, 11:52:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[April 16, 2024, 11:51:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Pat McMahon
[April 16, 2024, 11:44:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan Hutton the Scottish Cafu Retires  (Read 94347 times)

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2011, 12:25:16 PM »
I don't even think it was a "tackle" as Long was not in control of the ball.  It had run away from him and Hutton went in hard to clear it just as Long went in to try and get it back.  Result - they collided and unfortunately Long came out of it worse.  It could quite easily have been the other way round and Hutton been the one who came off worse.  Dowd had a clear view and gave a throw in so there is no way any further action will be taken surely, or else will they start reviewing every incident that TV throws up in slowmo?

Also the TV has been edited I think so as to delete Long bringing the ball under control with his arm just before Hutton hit him which resulted in the yellow card.  If Dowd had seen that he would have blown for the handball and the incident would not have occurred.

Also, is Roy complaining about Jones tackle on N'Zogbia which earned him a booking and could quite easily have injured Charlie?

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2011, 12:40:04 PM »

The "seriously injured" Long played on for about another 10/15 mins, but coming from the team that produced Ally Brown and Ally Robertson i find the criticism of Hutton a bit hard to take.The worst thing about Long going off was Tchoi coming on, who was far more effective.

It was a very strong tackle, and for me is part of the game, if you can get the man at the same time as the ball, in my book then fine, it is a mans game.I don't like dirty play, but strong tackles i can accept.Herd made a very strong tackle, possibly 2 footed on Mulumbu earlier, but he just got on with it.We have to be careful what kind of game we want.

I don't think that Hutton has been anywhere near as bad as comments on here are suggesting.We missed him when he went off, we missed the width he creates, and defensively we were more solid with him on.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2011, 12:42:26 PM »
His passing and crossing abilities aren't the best - much rather have Carlos at RB now.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2011, 01:00:22 PM »
I've just seen the Hutton tackle, and to be honest, i've seen worse. He made a genuine attempt for the ball and actually got a touch on it.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2011, 01:30:04 PM »
I don't think Hutton has been that bad

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2011, 01:30:17 PM »
Well, this was supposed to be a player the manager could get the best out of as he had worked with him before. Doesn't say much.

I was lambasted for pointing it out at the time, but why sell Luke Young, a reliable, know what you are getting type of player during a season of transition, and replace him with a Spurs squad player (mirrors Makoun - Jenas)?

Surely it wasn't just to save £10,000 a week on wages.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2011, 02:03:43 PM »
I don't even think it was a "tackle" as Long was not in control of the ball.  It had run away from him and Hutton went in hard to clear it just as Long went in to try and get it back.  Result - they collided and unfortunately Long came out of it worse.  It could quite easily have been the other way round and Hutton been the one who came off worse.  Dowd had a clear view and gave a throw in so there is no way any further action will be taken surely, or else will they start reviewing every incident that TV throws up in slowmo?

Also the TV has been edited I think so as to delete Long bringing the ball under control with his arm just before Hutton hit him which resulted in the yellow card.  If Dowd had seen that he would have blown for the handball and the incident would not have occurred.

Also, is Roy complaining about Jones tackle on N'Zogbia which earned him a booking and could quite easily have injured Charlie?

Excellent post fred.

I find it interesting that AM had more to complain about post-match but didn't.  Woy's going OTT.
I'll be really interested to see how long Long is out for with his "serious" injury that could have "broken both his legs". Absolute bollox!

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2011, 02:14:06 PM »
I don't want him not to play for us because of that tackle (dreadful tackle though it was).

I don't want him to play for us because he's an absolutely rubbish player.
Really sorry guys but someone has got to tell me what's wrong with the tackle.
Does he go for the ball? Yes.
Does he win the ball? Yes.
The fact that Long got injured in the process is bad luck.
(The petulant bit later when he gets booked is fair enough.)
We can't expect players to come to a complete halt as soon as contact is made with the ball. I believe it's called momentum. In the Highway Code with regard to motor vehicles it's called braking distance.
How many times have you seen players injure themslves while tackling/being tackled? Does that mean the player who doesn't come off worse has committed an offence?

By the way, I think Hutton's a bit shit!

The bizarre bit is that he wasn't even carded for the first lunge ...

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Hutton is absolute shite.

For me Cuellar should play right back from now on. I would have said Hers but he looked really good in midfield yesterday.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2011, 02:44:38 PM »
If we're going to get self righteous about this the question is not whether the tackle (which I've not had a good look at so don't really have an opinion on) was bad but whether it was meant to be bad and whether Hutton is that kind of player. If he does it every week and sets out to hurt an opponent then you have to say he might not be the sort of player we want represent us. Based on one isolated incident I would say no.

Of course, if you are basing your decision on his form then you've got to say he has to be dropped. He has made errors in most of his games so far which could well have cost us. He may have been sent off yesterday and there have been a few penalty incidents too. The only other defender I can remember having who was so haphazard was Ridgewell who I still rank as one of the worst players we have had.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2011, 03:02:02 PM »
... Alan Hutton...... he is the worst player I have ever fecking seen in a Villa shirt...

Theres a debate in itself, I could think of a few worse over the years.

Personally I thought it was a bloody good hard tackle, then again I liked football better 30 years ago rather than the non-contact sport we have today that is designed to protect a bunch of prissy over-paid by and large overseas ball juggling prima donnas. George Best wouldnt have moaned about a tackle like that on him.

Its a poor day when full backs can't put a hard tackle in.

Offline Compass

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2011, 03:54:24 PM »
He seems like a mindless drunken thug who has no idea what he's doing on the pitch. That's the best way I can describe about him lightly.

Offline john2710

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2011, 04:06:53 PM »
There's a lot of things wrong with the current Villa side. But Alan Hutton is a long way from the top of that list.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2011, 04:21:28 PM »
It was a pub team tackle from a pub team player.  I've long criticised Carlos when played at right back but I would much rather him than this clown.  He really is gash, and as others have said I don't want a thug in a Villa shirt thank you very much.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2011, 04:22:07 PM »
Would much prefer to see Cuellar play there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal