collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Should the rules be changed?  (Read 11733 times)

Offline Lobsterboy

Re: Should the rules be changed?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 07:50:24 PM »
So modern technology has no place in football according to Sepp Blatter, well the same goes for Phil Dowd but that doesn't stop that clown turning up week in week out and ruining games

So angry at today's decision and the games refusal to even look into video replays etc another reason why people are falling out of love with the game...

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 07:53:02 PM »
This has the challenge on it.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 07:53:22 PM »
Dowd had a better view than his linesman, so what does that say about him as a referee?  If he doesn't trust his own judgement why the hell should anyone else?  I would like an apology at the very least.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 11:55:10 PM »
Sorry guys but the decision was spot on ...... sat in Trinity Rd roughly in line with edge of area and it was clear that Herd made an attempted stamp in player

Linesman saw it flagged penalty and sending off ....not Dowds fault this time and no I cant stand the guy

We are quick enough to complain when things go against us but this one was correct
Sorry LV. You are wrong. I was standing near you and couldn't see a thing wrong, except that Olsson seemed to be holding Herd's foot. Have since watched loads of replays. Herd makes no downward "stamp" at all. He just tries to get his foot away from Olsson who makes no appeal/complaint at all at apparently being "stamped on"!!!! Linesman got it wrong and Dowd was verging on incompetent today.
Really glad you not a ref mate!
Owd Woy got his nickers in a twist over the Hutton thing and made the most ridiculous statements I've heard on MOTD since Wenger's last whinge. Hutton went in hard to win the ball and won the ball. Since when has that been a sending off offence? Long got injured in the process. End of...

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 12:13:27 AM »
Hutton went in hard to win the ball and won the ball. Since when has that been a sending off offence?
Since you ask, 2005. When FIFA decided that it didn't matter what happened to the ball and what mattered was the effect that your tackle might have on the body of your opponent. And rightly so.

As for the original post, it's a nice idea in theory but I'd be interested to hear what you would suggest changing the rules to.

Replay the match? Not really feasible.
Change the result? Not really feasible.

I'm not sure what other options would be available.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 12:19:50 AM »
Hutton went in hard to win the ball and won the ball. Since when has that been a sending off offence?
Since you ask, 2005. When FIFA decided that it didn't matter what happened to the ball and what mattered was the effect that your tackle might have on the body of your opponent. And rightly so.

As for the original post, it's a nice idea in theory but I'd be interested to hear what you would suggest changing the rules to.

Replay the match? Not really feasible.
Change the result? Not really feasible.

I'm not sure what other options would be available.

Come on Dave. Be fair!
What the f**k do FIFA know about football;-)

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 12:42:45 AM »
If a player is sent off and the red card is then rescinded retrospectively how on earth can the result of the match stand?  The officials have mad an horrendous error that will surely be overturned by the FA but what good is it going to do us?  Is it time for the rules to be changed and if so, how?

Time was a decision went against you and all you could do was sulk about it for a bit and then console yourself that things would balance out over the season. Now it's all WAH! WAH! S'NOT FAIR! WOULD'VE WON BUT FOR THAT! WAH! WAH! Why is a referee's mistake worse than a mistake by a player? Serious question. Your goalkeeper is beaten at his near post, your left back woefully underhits a backpass into the , your centre back slices a clearance into the top corner of his own net. All game altering mistakes but no-one would dream of demanding a replay under those circumstances and yet a match official cocks up and it's flaming torches and pitchforks all round. I'm not defending Phil Dowd, God forbid, the man's ineptitude can be seen from space and I sincerely hope he never officiates a game we're involved in again but he and his colleagues have cost us fewer matches in the last few years than Messrs Dunne and Warnock. I think the main issue is that people are labouring under the misapprehension that football is important. It's not. Honestly, it isn't. It's a game, that's all. It's just a game.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 12:43:07 AM »
99% of players If they had been stamped on would be rolling round doing their oscar nomination , 1 % would have shouted at the ref with his hands waving in the air . Olsson did nothing , just ran back into play .  It was never a foul . 

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 02:27:57 AM »
Sorry guys but the decision was spot on ...... sat in Trinity Rd roughly in line with edge of area and it was clear that Herd made an attempted stamp in player

Linesman saw it flagged penalty and sending off ....not Dowds fault this time and no I cant stand the guy

We are quick enough to complain when things go against us but this one was correct

What a load of fucking bollocks this was the same that was said on WM "the intent was their " if we were going on that principle their wouldnt be a player left on the pitch and id be locked up in jail never heard such absolute crap!

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 03:02:05 AM »
If a player is sent off and the red card is then rescinded retrospectively how on earth can the result of the match stand?  The officials have mad an horrendous error that will surely be overturned by the FA but what good is it going to do us?  Is it time for the rules to be changed and if so, how?

Too many sour grapes there mate.

Offline Desi

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 03:26:47 AM »
It was definately the Assistant's decision but what amazed me was that at no stage (as far as I could see on TV) did Dowd go to him to consult or even ask about what he had seen.

Surely on such a big 'call' (Penalty/Red Card) that's the least he should have done?

Offline Muscle-Dolphin

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 05:28:06 AM »
I want NFL red rag challenge referee option for manager 2 each half for both side. If get two wrong in first half should lose challenge in second half. But how can that work as it got to cater all level from Red Lions V King Arthur Pub league match to Barcelona V Real Madrid.

Tradition is good - but we need to join the 21st century.  Hers'a red card was total bullshit.

Well yeh that's a big point about today, the result may well have been different if it weren't for a error, but there's nothing you can do about it.

Well, yeah, that's the whole point of the post.  Is there a way that a team can be compensated for a decision that is subsequently adjudged to be wrong by the games governing body?  I know there is nothing we can do about it NOW but is there a way we can avoid such situations in the future?  (Other than sacking Phil Dowd)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 07:46:18 AM »
No way it was ever a stamping incident.

Thing which truly amazes me is the numbers flocking on here whether at the game or not, actually defending the decision and knocking other fans for not swallowing it like good boys taking some nasty medicine.

However I do not think it will be rescinded because turkeys do not vote for Christmas.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 09:21:10 AM »
Why is a referee's mistake worse than a mistake by a player? Serious question. Your goalkeeper is beaten at his near post, your left back woefully underhits a backpass into the , your centre back slices a clearance into the top corner of his own net. All game altering mistakes but no-one would dream of demanding a replay under those circumstances and yet a match official cocks up and it's flaming torches and pitchforks all round.

Because the referee's sole role is to ensure the rules of the game are followed.  In an ideal world, the referee wouldn't even be there.  Even the laws of the game describe the referee as 'footballing furniture'!

So a game-changing error on his part is of course much worse than one by a player who is part of the game.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 09:47:23 AM by Ad@m »

Offline Tony

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2011, 09:43:45 AM »

I was in block K of The Holte and watched those two as the corner came in as the ref had a word with them with Herd complaining about an arm swing, Herd was fouled, I didn't see the rest of the incident but when the linesman was flagging I thought he was calling it back for the foul on Herd.

Having seen MOTD, there was no stamp, if anything the fouling on Herd continues with the guy holding his foot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal