collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Should the rules be changed?  (Read 11802 times)

Offline Holtenderinthesky

Should the rules be changed?
« on: October 22, 2011, 05:08:01 PM »
If a player is sent off and the red card is then rescinded retrospectively how on earth can the result of the match stand?  The officials have mad an horrendous error that will surely be overturned by the FA but what good is it going to do us?  Is it time for the rules to be changed and if so, how?

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
Re: Should the rules be changed?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 05:11:04 PM »
Well yeh that's a big point about today, the result may well have been different if it weren't for a error, but there's nothing you can do about it.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 05:12:53 PM »
I want NFL red rag challenge referee option for manager 2 each half for both side. If get two wrong in first half should lose challenge in second half. But how can that work as it got to cater all level from Red Lions V King Arthur Pub league match to Barcelona V Real Madrid.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 05:22:33 PM »
Well yeh that's a big point about today, the result may well have been different if it weren't for a error, but there's nothing you can do about it.

Well, yeah, that's the whole point of the post.  Is there a way that a team can be compensated for a decision that is subsequently adjudged to be wrong by the games governing body?  I know there is nothing we can do about it NOW but is there a way we can avoid such situations in the future?  (Other than sacking Phil Dowd)

Offline woody4866

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 05:37:08 PM »

Well, yeah, that's the whole point of the post.  Is there a way that a team can be compensated for a decision that is subsequently adjudged to be wrong by the games governing body?  I know there is nothing we can do about it NOW but is there a way we can avoid such situations in the future?  (Other than sacking Phil Dowd)

But wasnt it the linesmans decision? (don`t know his name - lets just call him c*nt)

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 05:41:38 PM »

I don't get the relevance of who's decision it was.  IF the card is rescinded then it doesn't matter who called it, the point still stands does it not? 

But wasnt it the linesmans decision? (don`t know his name - lets just call him c*nt)

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 05:50:02 PM »
If a player is sent off and the red card is then rescinded retrospectively how on earth can the result of the match stand?  The officials have mad an horrendous error that will surely be overturned by the FA but what good is it going to do us?  Is it time for the rules to be changed and if so, how?

Its difficult though.  I agree to a certain extent, but how about if Herd wasn't sent off, and we go on to win the game.

Surely Albion would have just a big a grievance as Hutton should have been sent off, and they would have had the advantage of playing against 10 men for 75 minutes.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 06:03:36 PM »

Darren Cann.

As an aside. Why on earth are referees demoted for a week or two then promoted straight back up to the Premiership after a bad call? Surely, with the number of times that Dowd has made bad calls they should have worked out he was a dire ref. I also don't agree with how lower league teams are made to suffer shit refs like him every other week but that is by-the-by.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 06:05:18 PM »
Herd should have said his name was Vidic.

Fat fucking ****** Dowd.

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 06:08:19 PM »
Sorry guys but the decision was spot on ...... sat in Trinity Rd roughly in line with edge of area and it was clear that Herd made an attempted stamp in player

Linesman saw it flagged penalty and sending off ....not Dowds fault this time and no I cant stand the guy

We are quick enough to complain when things go against us but this one was correct

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 06:10:03 PM »
Sorry guys but the decision was spot on ...... sat in Trinity Rd roughly in line with edge of area and it was clear that Herd made an attempted stamp in player

Linesman saw it flagged penalty and sending off ....not Dowds fault this time and no I cant stand the guy

We are quick enough to complain when things go against us but this one was correct

Any idea why there was absolutely no reaction from Olsson then?

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 06:21:02 PM »

Any idea why there was absolutely no reaction from Olsson then?

I watched the game on Villastreams and the Norwegian presenters (one of which was Oyvind Leonhardsen) replayed the incident from every angle possible and they were actually laughing in the studio as not one of them could see why he was sent off indicating that if anything it was a foul ON Herd.  I have seen it from maybe 6 or 7 angles and I concur with them 100%.  It was NEVER, EVER a foul and in my opinion it was one of the worst red card decisions I have seen in 30 years of watching football. 

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 06:48:27 PM »

I'm sorry but you've made the same mistake the linesman made, and demonstrated why.

What you (or the linesman) couldn't see was that when Ollson fell over, Herd tried to walk away and Ollson grabbed his leg and pulled it down.  You, and the linesman, interpreted that as Herd stamping because Olsson was facing away from you and you couldn't see he had hold of Herd's leg.  I had a perfect view from the middle of the lower tier of the Holte.

The decision was a shocker and the linesman shouldn't be giving decisions like that unless he can see everything.

As to the OP.  Agree there should be some kind of action the FA take.  We looked comfortable before the sending off.  Just like in plenty of other sports, decisions like that should be passed to someone watching the game on TV.  In today's case they would've seen the actual correct decision was a freekick to us and the game could've carried on from there.

As for Blatter's insistence that the game should be the same at the top as it is at the bottom.  What a load of shite.  Both because it's already not the case and because it's irrelevant.  Rugby, tennis, and cricket cope with using technology, why not football? 

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 07:48:39 PM »
Herd should have said his name was Vidic.

Fat fucking c*** Dowd.

Dowd was just backing up the Lino. It was the latter that deemed that an offence had been committed and then did some of the most over the top flag waving seen this side if Iwo Jima.

I know that the Ref and Lino are linked up but it would have been nice to see Dowd go over and speak to the Lino

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 07:49:09 PM »
Lets not bleat about it too much as that's the type of thing those smethwick pricks are famous for.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal