collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Matchday superstitions  (Read 9209 times)

Offline QBVILLA

Re: Matchday superstitions
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 06:53:12 AM »
Mine used to be to get at least 6 pints down my neck before the game.Didn't do feck all for the result but it ensured that i enjoyed the game

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 10:04:23 AM »
I always wear a retro shirt, it doesn't normally matter which one. But this week I've made sure the 1971 Wembley shirt is ready because I wore it for the Wigan game and for once we looked half decent. I always call into my local at exactly 12.30 have two pints and stand in the same place at the bar.
Does it work? It must do we haven't lost a home league game yet.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 10:29:32 AM »
We have to walk out of the Leisure Centre Car Park along a particular route.
At the start of the season we have to buy Cadbury 99s from the ice cream van in front of the church and maintain this purchase until a home defeat.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 10:34:28 AM »
Used to be that if we lost, I wouldn't wear the t-shirt I had on that day again but have far too many now and can only identify one that is definitely unlucky. Try to wear the same top for cup runs. Also have semi banned myself from going to games in Manchester. 10 visists, 10 defeats.

Offline sidcowans10

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 11:50:59 AM »
From my teenage years of getting the bus to Birmingham my mate used to say it was bad luck not to say " Tucker Fastners" when passing the factory. I did this for the next twenty years without fail. Because we used to win more than we lost at home I kept it up but then when it seemed we were drawing every game I went to in the last few years, I ve stopped. Oh and the fact that it's ridiculous as well !!

Offline Holte132

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 12:31:43 PM »
I walk exactly the same way from Aston station - crossing in the same place and walking on the road for a set distance and then on the pavement at a particular place. Always go up the same steps to the Upper Holte, turnstile 42, and use my lucky loo! Sad, really! Oh, and I always travel backwards on the train, next to the window in a two-seater row. ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 12:33:35 PM by lizb »

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 12:33:53 PM »
I make sure I go to the game feeling like shit.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 12:35:56 PM »
I have to wear the same socks on match day that I wore on the evening before the game

I hope there's a midday change of socks the day before to accommodate this.  For everyones sake.

I only have to have put them on the day before, so the usual practice is to put them on and off just before going to bed, so they are only worn for a few seconds.

I also have to buy a hot dog from the same food stand every match, the one opposite the club shop on Witton Lane, even if I am not hungry!

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 12:36:30 PM »
I always used to get a cheeseburger from the van down the road from the Villa chip shop. He who must be obeyed has me there so early now that I miss out due to him not being ready.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
No room in modern football for superstition.  How lucky would we need to be against Man City away?

Offline Holte132

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 01:38:44 PM »
What we all need to realise is, when the Villa don't win it isn't the team's fault. It's that someone hasn't done their pre-match ritual properly!

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 01:46:27 PM »
I always wear a retro shirt, it doesn't normally matter which one. But this week I've made sure the 1971 Wembley shirt is ready because I wore it for the Wigan game and for once we looked half decent. I always call into my local at exactly 12.30 have two pints and stand in the same place at the bar.
Does it work? It must do we haven't lost a home league game yet.

this is me all over and I always wear this shirt,

UTV
The Doc

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 03:43:25 PM »
No room in modern football for superstition.  How lucky would we need to be against Man City away?
What we all need to realise is, when the Villa don't win it isn't the team's fault. It's that someone hasn't done their pre-match ritual properly!
Love it

Online andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 04:31:49 PM »
I have to shave on a match day. I didn't last week and look what happened. It's not an exact science but its better than blaming Heskey.

Offline stuart r

• Location: Highley (Home of the Gerry Hitchens Fitness Suite at the local leisure centre- He started his career with Highley Miners Welfare)
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 04:48:31 PM »
Hmmm.. sorry to be suspicious but a lot of these superstitions seem to be an excuse to stuff your traps with hot dogs and botulism burgers outside the ground. I think I'll start my own superstition tonight. Henceforth I must eat a chicken dansak (no pineapple) every friday before a Villa game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal