collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The State of Modern Football  (Read 11171 times)

Offline TakeBackOurGame

The State of Modern Football
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:22:16 PM »
Hi, Wolves fan in peace here. Hope this is in the right forum.

Can I draw your attention to something that a number of Wolves fans are trying to get going. If you can help us spread the world and lift the profile it would be very much appreciated. They are currently setting up a facebook and twitter account, once it sorted I will give you the name.

Ticket prices

As we all know, the ticket prices in modern football are astronomical for the average working-class fan. £39 for an adult to watch Wolves vs Newcastle. This is just one example, there are hundreds of clubs fleecing fans for as much as they can get. You may not feel the crunch at the moment, but you may do soon. Many are feeling it at the moment. Young people, retired persons and just your average working-class male are being priced out. You only have to go to a pub in the Black Country to see how many are not attending games – when they may do so if ticket prices were lower.

What a few of us propose

Based on the Stockholm derby protest (link: AIK - DIF SvFF Protest Tifo + Bengal Inferno 19/9 2011 - YouTube ) I wish for this to happen at Molineux against Sunderland on December 4th (KO 4pm). Why this game? This game because we believe it may give us sufficient time to contact Sunderland supporter groups to join us in our protest and to help spread the word amongst Wolves fans. However, the game is also televised by Sky – so if the protest was successful (hopefully banners will be included) then the message will be sent world-wide and may possibly be picked up by the media (at least social networks).

Why you should at least accept a protest / boycott and why we urge you to join us

A poll on Molineux Mix recently showed that 62 people were in favour of a boycott of Chelsea away whilst 40 weren’t. This number is far too high in the no’s and must be changed before we undertake anything – without real majority support of the Wolves fans our attempts will be futile.

• You may not be able to pass on your love of football to your family
• Many young people being priced out – most people acknowledge they often bring the hostile atmosphere which makes Molineux a fortress (at the moment a cemetery – and not just this season, since we’ve been promoted the atmosphere hasn’t been amazing – compared to 03/04)
• Normal walk up fans – who are in the pubs which can now show games legally
• New stadium is on the way – where are our extra fans going to come from? We need to adjust our pricing to get them back in the addiction that is following the Wolves live

What’s the point in a protest? Isn’t that just detrimental to the team?

First of all, I’d probably say your right. But you have to remember it would only be for 10 minutes and then the atmosphere would hopefully be explosive again. Some Huddersfield fans (IIRC) have attempted a protest against United about the ticket prices they were charged for their derby – it received coverage by various media sites such as the Guardian and was supported by the FSF. You have to remember – we may be the trigger factor that has a snowball effect. We are premier league are we not? We have more coverage than Huddersfield United. What we propose has the potential to receive world wide attention to the fact its on sky.

Will you co-operate with Wolves or act alone on this?

Firmly of the view that we should co-operate with Wolves FC and make it clear that this is NOT a protest against Wolves ticket prices (even though Wolves ticket price example was used). This IS a protest against extortionate prices charged by clubs in modern football to normal fans who just want to have a good laugh with their mates on a Saturday.

I support you. What can I do to help?

Spread the word however you can. Chain yourself to the subway, set up a stall, use the internet, tell your mates in the pub. Anything.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline TakeBackOurGame

Re: The State of Modern Football
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:26:59 PM »
The twitter account is @takebackthegame and the facebook one is called take back the game also.

http://www.twitter.com/takebackthegame
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Take-back-the-game/193128317432083

Offline nigel

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:13:23 AM »
Interesting.
I've mates who support various clubs, Wolves included, and would like to watch these sort of games with them in a pub if we couldn't get to the game.
Unfortunately one or more of us would most likely have our heads caved in because we had the wrong shirt on. So we end up watching it alone at home, if we had Sky, or not bothering at all.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 12:28:02 PM »
Might of been better sticking it in the heroes discussion as this is quite relevant to alot of opinions on here.  Might be work asking a mod.

Offline TakeBackOurGame

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 04:19:03 PM »
Might of been better sticking it in the heroes discussion as this is quite relevant to alot of opinions on here.  Might be work asking a mod.

Any mods you know of?

Thanks in advance

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 04:22:17 PM »
If you look on the main forum (Heroes Discussion) under a persons username if they are a mod it will say moderator. These include Legion, Risso, Dave.Woodhall, Mac and pauliewalnuts. Just send them an inbox message (click the little speech bubble under the number of posts).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 04:24:52 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 05:39:29 PM »
Also, now you're a member you'll have a 'who's online' box on the left hand side. Scroll down that and mods are highlighted in claret. Click on the name, find the 'send PM' button.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 08:08:43 PM »
Please PM me and I will add the links for you.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 10:15:14 PM »
Good idea and I am up for  it  ....for any away game!

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 11:06:33 AM »
We're at home to Man U that weekend and it's live on Sky. So maybe if something could be arranged with their fans for the first ten minutes to be played in stony silence it would be seen all over the world, and could be a small step towards getting our game back. Obviously things wont change immediately but if the protest is steadily increased to include outright boycotts of matches, in the end they will have to listen to us.
If people in the middle east can organise a revolution through the internet surely it's not beyond us to organise a ten minute silence.

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 11:25:58 AM »
Fair play, sounds like a very good idea to me.

Fits in with discussions I've had with fans of other clubs recently and a lot of the sentiment on here just now (see Boring, boring football and Ticket price rant, for example).

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 11:58:04 AM »
Well I was up for going this Saturday with my son for his first game but my gas bill dropped through the letterbox ( red letter ) , so another game I will miss .

Alot of fans are saying the same thing .

Offline sidcowans10

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 11:58:07 AM »
Excellent idea. Not sure it will work with the Man U game as it ll be probably the best attendance and crowd all season. It ll only take them to start singing a song and we ( rightly) will sing back. Maybe another game against a more unattractive side ( these do still end up on sky) would be better. With the current relatively poor attendances and, from what I hear, poor atmosphere, ten minutes silence should be easy !!

Offline sidcowans10

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 12:01:16 PM »
Thinking about it further, would it be better to concentrate it just before and just after kick off ? Let's be honest if in the first ten minutes we went deep into the other half could we keep quiet ? Or got a corner/ free kick ? But at kick off we could.
I don't want to sound negative as it's a great idea !! Hope it goes well for you at wolves !!

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 12:10:35 PM »
This is very interesting and I hope it's the start of something big.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal